Wall finish schedule or material list

MarkMc

I need to get some sort of information for wall finishes, by room, to include sq ft and finish name.

I received one suggestion to use "Calculate From Room" but that doesn't work as far as I can tell. (ref manual says "A Materials List calculated from a room is created for only the contents of that room: wall materials are not included")

A room finish schedule will give me wall material BUT if there are several wall finishes in a room it just lists them- does not identify the wall or provide the quantity.

So I found a very old thread. Based on that- in a test plan I added layers "wall finish" in the wall type definitions. Then select room, standard area polyline, convert polyline-materials list polyline, calculate materials. So that works to a point. that gets me sq footage in a material list and it does break it down by wall... BUT no wall finish. I can specify the label on a wall and that will show up in the material list description which gives me a wall "identity" and could be used for finish BUT the object eyedropper doesn't work for walls. The only thing I can think of is to add a mess of walls to the library and drag them onto existing ones. (better than a sharp stick in the eye but for the clients proposals I've already got 20 rooms w/ 5 wall types and they want 3 variations.)

Is there a way to get both? To dig the information out of one into the other? or out of both into something else that I can use (Rich Text and export?) Is there a way to do this without the polyline business? (this project has either 120 or 240 rooms depending) I've been told by someone who knows a lot more than me that a macro is "not worth the time or effort" It seams like I'm almost there and this looks to be something I'll need in the future.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

A room finish schedule will give me wall material BUT if there are several wall finishes in a room it just lists them- does not identify the wall or provide the quantity.

Mark,

You are correct.  Calculate Materials For Room will calculate any material regions and will deduct any fenestration areas but not calculate the wall materials themselves.  This is something that has been suggested in the past  To get the wall materials to generate try this as a starting point:

1. Create a layer set that has nothing reporting to the Material List except your walls and Material Regions
  2. Select your desired room and click Make Standard Area Polyline
  3. Convert the polyline to a Material List Polyline
  4. Click Calculate Material List
  5. Groups select the desired cells and copy/paste them to wherever you want them

42 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Create a layer set that has nothing reporting to the Material List except your walls and Material Regions

Hmm- I guess I could go around an place material regions on every wall. Thought it might be worth it if I could copy and paste but the regions don't copy to another floor. Still may be the best options. Really looking to get the wall finish from the wall definitions.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Hmm- I guess I could go around an place material regions on every wall. Thought it might be worth it if I could copy and paste but the regions don't copy to another floor. Still may be the best options. Really looking to get the wall finish from the wall definitions.

Maybe try to read my post again?  The steps I spelled out will get you the materials from the wall definition too.  

32 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The steps I spelled out will get you the materials from the wall definition too.  

They do not if I have to paint walls. Might as well use regions as break walls and make tons of definitions.