Dimension to Inside of casing?

misterwiley

I'm trying to get my manual dimension tool to snap to the inside of the casing on windows and doors because I took all my existing number to a from there. Toggling the (Located Objects -> Openings -> Casing) only allows to the outside of the casing as shown below but wont snap to the other side of the casing. Anything I might be over looking?

Untitled 8.jpg

1 hour ago, misterwiley said:

Toggling the (Located Objects -> Openings -> Casing) only allows to the outside of the casing as shown below but wont snap to the other side of the casing.

Yeah that's how that setting works.

Just tried this- set your window default to have the casing overlap the frame = 0"

Pull manual dimensions, size your windows.

Then reset your casing overlap to what it should be. The dimensions stay put.

2 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Mark I just saw your comment, does that allow you to dimension the reveal?

NO, I forgot to mention that locate objects need to be set to both casings and sides. In that case it will dimension to the outside of the casing and with a 0 overlap the inside of the casing aligns with the frame. I imagine you can callout reveal with a macro (rev= frame_top_width + interior_reveal) gets the dimension as decimal.

Thanks Mark. I thought it might be something like that. To bad we can't just snap to all those points, I always have a reveal, usually about 1/8", if this could be snapped then when dimensioning across a window or door the true casing width would be shown versus casing plus reveal. It's a minor issue but if a contractor is using the drawing the casing width shows incorrectly.

4 hours ago, misterwiley said:

I'm trying to get my manual dimension tool to snap to the inside of the casing on windows and doors because I took all my existing number to a from there. Toggling the (Located Objects -> Openings -> Casing) only allows to the outside of the casing as shown below but wont snap to the other side of the casing. Anything I might be over looking?

Untitled 8.jpg

Turn off object snaps and grid snaps, and use the point to point dimension tool.

Capture.JPG

Just played with this, it's worse than my original comment when relying on snaps. My frame is 3/4", the casing is 3" width, casing overlap is 5/8" to create a 1/8" reveal. When I dimension across the window it snaps to the outside of the casing and then the rough side of the frame showing a dimension of 2 3/8". The only other point it will snap to is what appears to be a 1/2" drywall layer between the rough side of the frame and the closest wall framing member. Yes I can use point to point but that leaves point markers everywhere and it's a lot of manual manipulation.

Thanks for helping me look into this guys. All I can seem to snap to is the outside of the 3/4" frame on windows or the rough opening which I can chose in the framing tab of the window dbx.

Very strangely I got this working on doors because the rough opening seems to be taken from the inside of the door frame, where a 0" side rough opening would be the inside of the frame and anything added to the side rough opening would push the snap away from the frame. So only with doors if you select a 1/4" revel on your casing and a 1/4" rough opening on the sides for that door, you can then snap the dimension to the rough opening which, in this case, is the inside of the casing on the revel over the jamb frame. Windows work the way I would have thought this function would have worked where the rough opening starts from the outside of the jamb frame at 0 and goes out when you increase the side rough opening in the framing tab of the window dbx. So windows and doors side rough opening are being calculated in different manners which is very confusing to me.

I only have rough opening and sides selected on my locate objects dbx

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

For myself it's useful when laying out and balancing cabinetry around a window opening. It's nice be able to see the exact gaping. 

I can see why dimensions to the outside of the casing are important for this, but I still am not seeing why dimensions to the inside of the casing are useful.

39 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I can see why dimensions to the outside of the casing are important for this, but I still am not seeing why dimensions to the inside of the casing are useful.

If the casing can be properly dimensioned then the contractor knows from the drawings what size of casing is needed. In many of our remodels the trim work is being replaced and the width can impact on things. Seems minor but there are times when we are bringing the upper gables right up tight to the casing, the casing must be exactly as specified.

In my case I measure a lot of existing homes and need to draw the existing structures. I find that in 100 year old homes the casing width will vary so much between rooms and that measurements to the outside of the casing isn't as accurate unless I measure every windows casing width size whereas if I measure to the inside of the casing and between inside of casing I get better numbers overall and more accurate existing window/door locations and don't have to keep up with all the different casing widths.

Honestly this is just a matter of preference to me that saves a lot of extra measureing, note taking, and plugging existing data into Chief. Might not be the best method but it seems to work for me provided I can get Chief to cooperate.