Material properties: roughness

cv2702

Before submitting this to the Suggestion forum, I thought I would check with the wise men.

In an everlasting project, I had defined some default material for cabinets, before the PBR days.  I just realized that those cabinets, under certain angles, display a strong reflection under PBR, almost glossy.  I've seen this also on floor finishes that used to be matte but are now highly reflective.

There is currently no way to alter the material definition in the Base cabinets defaults to reduce the sheen (default roughness 45% currently it seems).  So the solution for me is to alter each and every cabinet piece individually.

Has anyone noticed this or am I missing something (again)?

Assuming I'm not alone with this issue, I wish we could alter the material properties in the defaults.

29 minutes ago, cv2702 said:

There is currently no way to alter the material definition in the Base cabinets defaults

Maybe I am missing your point but every material, wherever found has a properties tab that can be edited on any object at any time. That being the case, I do not understand your consideration.

Reference this article in the Knowledge Base:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01006/customizing-a-library-material.html

DJP

1 hour ago, cv2702 said:

Has anyone noticed this or am I missing something (again)?

Assuming I'm not alone with this issue, I wish we could alter the material properties in the defaults.

I have a hunch here-try the "Material defaults-cabinet and then cabinet door" Not the cabinet defaults. I can't explain why or how this work but the materials for cabinets is actually controlled there. Yes to a limited extent you can control the cabinet material in the cabinet defaults but of it works differently than most anything else from what I can tell. Anyway give it a try. Then go ahead and suggest that they change that (I'll support it "again")

Just double checked- that works on all cabinets and doors set to use default material

glossy.png

Matte.png

21 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Maybe I am missing your point but every material, wherever found has a properties tab that can be edited on any object at any time. That being the case, I do not understand your consideration ...

David & Mark,

Let me rewind this.  So I set some defaults in Default settings / Floors and rooms / Current floor, as follows

image.thumb.png.99131debd99dfce3c985ca5198f42f4e.png

There is NO properties tab when defining defaults.  I need access to the material's properties tab to reduce the material's roughness, as follows

image.thumb.png.77266cf4d169d07b01ea0d04ba1e123b.png

The workaround is to:

• Copy the material to user library
  • Open the material from the user library and, on the properties tab, modify the roughness, then save
  • Go back to Default settings / Floors and rooms / Current floor / Materials, then replace the material with the one modified in the previous step

And I need to do this for every floor.  There has to be a better way.

And by the way, going the route of "defaults, materials, cabinets or cabinet doors" still doesn't get you to a properties tab for those materials.

As I write this, I realize the main issue is that CA and manufacturers don't not allow modifying the properties of their catalog items, until you copy them to your user library.  But why not?

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Consider what happens with a catalog update. Chief would overwrite your changes. 

David, good point, especially since I had considered that from the start ;)

I'm speculating here, but I believe when we make use of an item in some library, that item becomes an instance in our plan, separate from the library instance. If that's the case, then we should be able to modify the material properties of our instance.

19 minutes ago, cv2702 said:

And by the way, going the route of "defaults, materials, cabinets or cabinet doors" still doesn't get you to a properties tab for those materials.

The two images I showed were done that way. Here is how you get there.5b01d1ea0cb27_Gettingtoproperties.thumb.png.e9aba14ec0fd3d04b7348e3d7aa86f8c.png

Floors would be similar

5b01d206d11a5_Floorproperties.thumb.png.065885ae7d290da37f9b9bb1f2d0b513.png

Since the material is already in your plan then you need to select "plan materials" , pick material, edit. If you edit it will change for the entire plan. IF you copy first it depends.it will change any dynamic default.

15 minutes ago, cv2702 said:

I'm speculating here, but I believe when we make use of an item in some library, that item becomes an instance in our plan, separate from the library instance. If that's the case, then we should be able to modify the material properties of our instance.

Mark and Eric have done a great job of detailing the procedure for this yet there is one more trick if you are going to do it this way.

This all must be maintained and saved in your template plan.  Which may or may not be the best solution ?

I see potential for template bloat and maintenance headaches but have not worked my template that way.  Just wondering ?

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

see potential for template bloat and maintenance headaches but have not worked my template that way.  Just wondering ?

I've taken to fewer simpler templates and importing defaults as desired. (anno sets too) 

• Upvote 1

I SEE THE LIGHT -  now! :)

I was maneuvering to the Library materials instead of the Plan materials.  Thanks David & Mark for persevering with me.

Chopsaw - My understanding is that defaults settings are per plan.  And I start with a fresh plan, importing/copying to new plans as needed.  So no bloat for me.  But we each have our own approach.

1 hour ago, cv2702 said:

Chopsaw - My understanding is that defaults settings are per plan.  And I start with a fresh plan, importing/copying to new plans as needed.  So no bloat for me.  But we each have our own approach.

Yes that seems like a logical approach from what I understand of how it works.  Just wanted to make sure you were not hoping for more.