Quadrant Bearing format corruption on .dwg survey import

Chopsaw

Has anyone experienced or found a solution to the Quadrant Bearing format being corrupted when a .dwg survey is imported into chief.

Not really sure if it is incompatible font issue or what might be causing the problem as I have seen some imports that work but the majority of mine do not.

The ( ° ) symbol is converted to  ( % % d ) and makes for some really unprofessional looking drawings or tedious hours of editing text boxes manually.

Quadrant Bearing Import Corruption.JPG

2 minutes ago, chief58 said:

try not using the symbol and just put a d or space between each segment (175.00' 12d12'36"n) or instead of the symbol just put the space between

Not quite sure what you are saying Ray as the formatting is fine in the .dwg file with the ° but then chief converts that to % % d.

Unfortunately I am not the one doing the survey or producing the .dwg file.  Formatting standards here in Canada seem to be consistent for what I have seen so far.  ie.  N 70°40'20" E  and unfortunately we do not use South bearings here so that adds another twist when using Chief.  I suppose surveyors north of the border traditionally have always kept the sun on their backs and out of their lenses.

Chopsaw not sure either if you are doing this in a cad detail try just putting a space between (70 40 20) to see if that helps you, I always just put the space between each and it puts the symbol in automaticly it works for me 

plot plan.jpg

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Not quite sure what you are saying Ray as the formatting is fine in the .dwg file with the ° but then chief converts that to % % d.

Actually, that’s not quite right.  %%d is the control code that was entered in AutoCAD.  In AutoCAD, that control code results in the degree symbol.  It just doesn’t always carry through to Chief that way.  In other words, Chief isn’t always converting anything per se.  It’s just importing exactly what was entered in AutoCAD sometimes.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, chief58 said:

Chopsaw not sure either if you are doing this in a cad detail try just putting a space between (70 40 20) to see if that helps you, I always just put the space between each and it puts the symbol in automaticly it works for me 

Oh ok now I see where you are going. Tech support tried to also take me that direction on Friday.  This is different when importing as it seems to just import as a text box item and is not tied to the cad line the way it is in chief.

9 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Actually, that’s not quite right.  %%d is the control code that was entered in AutoCAD.  In AutoCAD, that control code results in the degree symbol.  It just doesn’t carry through to Chief that way.  In other words, Chief isn’t converting anything.  It’s just importing exactly what was entered in AutoCAD.

Ok so then it must depend on what software is used for the creation of the .dwg

file.  Obviously no solution then without some help from Chief to identify and convert that on import.

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

By the way, this is a good instance of where a Find and Replace tool in Chief would be super handy.  Post the dwg file and I'll see if I can't maybe show you what I'm talking about.

Ok I will look for one that I can post without a copyright as tech was also asking for a copy.

14 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok I will look for one that I can post without a copyright as tech was also asking for a copy.

Just draw me something even. 

On a side note, I think it might have something to do with the software or process being used to export the dwg file because those control codes don't always get exported like that.  For example, if I import a "%%d" text box from Chief into Draftsight I will get the expected ° sign.  All I need to do is save the file in Draftsight (no changes) and import into Chief and I will get the ° sign in Chief. In other words, the file exported from Draftsight used the same control code but it wasn't exported that way.

48 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

By the way, this is a good instance of where a Find and Replace tool in Chief would be super handy.  Post the dwg file and I'll see if I can't maybe show you what I'm talking about.

Sorry Chopsaw, not addressing your issue but could not resist at doing a +1 on "Find and replace"

10 minutes ago, cv2702 said:

Sorry Chopsaw, not addressing your issue but could not resist at doing a +1 on "Find and replace"

No problem as it may not be something that can be fixed anyway so that could be a great workaround.

12 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

No problem as it may not be something that can be fixed anyway so that could be a great workaround.

It CAN be fixed.  Chief can easily fix it too and here's your evidence and workaround:

1. Import the original DWG
  2. Export a new DWG from Chief
  3. Import the new DWG

Fixed.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It CAN be fixed.  Chief can easily fix it too and here's your evidence and workaround:

I suppose that was not truly a correct statement that I made as anything can be fixed.  But some things happen very slowly at Chief.

Thank you Michael for the workaround and evidence for tech support.  I will be sure and send that in once I give it a try.

It does fix the first issue however it seems to create an unrelated but significant text offset issue that may be related to importing in FT the first time and then importing the second time in INCHES.  Tech support will be so happy to hear from me on Monday I am sure.

The logic seems backwards somehow that chief would not recognize the %%d AutoCAD control code on import but miraculously recognizes the same thing as text and can figure it out.:wacko: 

Well that was slick. After spending many hours fixing that stuff in Chief manually.

Is that a direct import to Draftsight ?   Just wondering if there is any significance to the %%g rather than the %%d that Chief displays.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Well that was slick. After spending many hours fixing that stuff in Chief manually.

Is that a direct import to Draftsight ?   Just wondering if there is any significance to the %%g rather than the %%d that Chief displays.

%%d is recognized as a control code in Draftsight just the same as AutoCAD and results in the ° sign.  I changed them all to "%%g" for illustration purposes only.