C_Parrilla

Import to Home Designer ... no Cabinets

All,

FYI - I'm new to Chief Architect Home Designer 2016 and Room Planner iPad app. 

I created a simple plan (square room with a few wall and base cabinets) on room planner and saved it to the cloud (Green Cloud icon). I closed the app and reopened it to make sure the changes were saved. Then I go over to Home designer 2016 Architectural (Trial) and  -> create a new design -> and go to import and then "Import Room Planner File". I put in my credentials and see the designs I've. The thumbnail that is displayed for all my plans do show the rooms with the cabinets as it does in the iPad app. The issue is that when i select and import the file, I only see the outline of the room but not cabinets. I did a 3D perspective overview but I only see the walls. No cabinets at all. Am I doing something wrong or is this how the import feature is designed to work? Does it matter i'm using the Trial version of Home Designer? I even went ahead and saved a sample plan that was full of cabinets and rooms but same result. Attached are just a few images of what i see. Any other details needed just let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

post-1100-0-57840400-1435605236_thumb.png

post-1100-0-78283300-1435605248_thumb.png

Turns out the import from Room Planner iPad app is working as expected. I opened up a case with tech support and they confirmed. View info below.

"When you click on a file to import into Home Designer, however, only the walls, windows and doors are imported.

This occurs because the cabinets, furniture, accessories, and other 3D items between the two software packages (Home Designer & Room Planner) are different. The items within Home Designer have more surfaces thus producing greater detail when taking 3D views. With a mobile app, such as Room Planner, we try to keep the surface count lower on many of our items, thus sacrificing detail for performance."

Might I suggest to programmers that there are two blocks made of each cabinet, appliance and furniture then? One for RP and one for CA, one low res and one higher res.  Just the basics that come with the standard Planner program, no downloadables.   So they can be imported with the design into CA and just get swapped out with the higher res items.  We can then swap them out with what we really want for the final drawings.  I think we would all be pretty happy with how Room Planner works with CA then.  Right now it's just a As-Built wall, door and window sketcher for those of us using CA.

• Like 2

I completely agree to this suggestion. I would like to use the RP as a remodeler to also include the current cabinet layout so when I get back to the office to start using CA not only my walls pull in but the cabinets as well.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NikkiTriv
    Newest Member
    NikkiTriv

• By maryellen
      I have been using the Room Planner mobile app on my iPad for years and now it’s no longer available in the App Store so I suspect it might get glitchy and whenever I get a new iPad I won’t be able to download Room Planner on it, and so I guess I better get going with some alternative with the same features. What I love about the Room Planner mobile app is that it’s not a ‘game’ like a lot of the other ‘3D Planner’ type apps that I have been trying out. I don’t need a replacement app to be free, but I also don’t have $1799 to spend for a desktop version. I use the app for interior design. 

Can anyone recommend an alternative mobile app that is as awesome or almost as awesome as Room Planner is/was? Thank you! 
    • By housewrights
      how do you shape the back of a cabinet so half of the cabinet is 12" deep and the other half is 24" deep. but the front is unchanged.  that is left side is 12" deep, right side is 24" deep.
    • By MichaelaS
      What is the best method for displaying preliminary design concepts to clients of the same room? An example being kitchens; I want to show multiple cabinet layouts but would rather not have a multitude of plan sets for their project from doing a "Save As" method. 
    • By rfantclt
      Fellow More-experienced CA users,

I have drawn as-built plans of a house for a renovation/addition project in CA v.12.  I recently received the final survey from the surveyor with property lines, major and minor contours, the building footprint, and other typical survey information.  I imported it from .dwg as a .plan file  with layers for terrain perimeter and terrain, and converted the terrain using the convert tool to make it 3D.  It shows up with terrain. Yay!  Now I'm not sure of the next steps:
      1. How do I bring the terrain into the building.plan?
      2. How do I set it in place - using a Place Point or Point Marker at a corner of the house?
      3. The survey elevations are in the 650' range so how what do I do to place the terrain relative to my house (1st floor 0.0)?  This house has a walk out basement, if that matters.
      4. I copied in a 2D version of the survey to use in plan view (on layer CAD, AS-BUILT SURVEY).  When I send it to layout, the house floor plans are obscured and the secondary contours didn't come in - admittedly, this is a previous version of my survey attempt and I've since remapped the survey layers.

I have also attached the house plan, if that helps.

Thanks for recommendations from this group, as I've watched numerous videos and couldn't find any that addressed this process.

Rebecca
      CA Premier X12

Zoutewelle FINAL SURVEY.plan
      Muhs Existing.plan
    • By ilastu
      I successfully imported the floor plan for a house from a dwg file, however I have not found a way to convert the roof drawing into 3D. Is there a way to do that? I am using the X11 version.