Cross Sections

Designer1

Does anyone know how to 'clean up' cross sections?  If I do a cross section of the middle of a house, there are extra lines that clutter up the cross section.   Everyone in the office is an autocad fan and they are trying to make every argument to stop using chief as im the only one who knows how to use it and loves it.  when they show an autocad file of the same cross section compared to chiefs, I can see their argument of it looking cleaner.  Is there a way I can get rid of the excess lines and make this cleaner and more consistent?

Thanks,

Chad

post-2210-0-51542000-1407980582_thumb.jpg

By "cleaner" I'm not quite sure what you're after. When you use "Cross Section/Elevation" you get everything from the section cut to the end of the model of what is turned on in the layer set you are using. You can get a "cleaner" look by turning off certain layers. You can also use "Backclipped Cross Section" and you get from the cut to the distance and direction you move your mouse while holding the left mouse button down. This can also give you what I would call a "cleaner" look. It all depends what you want to see or not see. Can you show the section using AutoCad so we can see the comparison between AC and CA? I and others will then have a better understanding what you want.

I use the back-clip to bracket just as much of a view as I want and any extra lines that remain, you can use the "Edit Layout" tool to add or subtract any lines when the view sent to layout.

View to CAD is useful especially for old AutoCAD users who find that sort of thing familiar, I just do as above mostly, Chief is flexible enough to allow for several different ways to arrive at useful end products-views.

DJP

Take a back clipped cross section (extended maybe 24" to get a rafter and ceil joists.), and look at it,  and then move it around to get a clean look while looking at the section view at the same time.Sometimes The footings beyond get in the way for a clean foundation so don't get to close to the end walls.

Thanks for all the advice, I don't use this feature often so I will have to research some of these techniques to see what works best.  Ive never done the view to cad before. Richard, what did you mean when you said a zero depth back clipped cross section?

Thanks for all the advice, I don't use this feature often so I will have to research some of these techniques to see what works best.  Ive never done the view to cad before. Richard, what did you mean when you said a zero depth back clipped cross section?

Well, I meant taking a back-clipped cross section and setting the depth to 0. If you need to get framing in, as Perry says, you can make it deeper.

post-214-0-55390400-1408051625_thumb.jpg

A few of my thoughts on the subject...

1.  If you build your model properly your cross sections may be a little "messy" looking compared to those of most AutoCAD users, but fact is yours will most likely be far more acurate.

2.  View to CAD as Lew said turns your view into a series of lines and disconnects the view from your model so it is no longer "live".  It defintely has its good uses...for example, I've started making copies of my cabinets, deleting the doors, and creating a CAD detail from view in order to dimension all the openings for "shop drawings".  Its also a good tool when you need to heavily modify a view and gives you a lot more flexibility with dimensioning.  Having said that, I would avoid using this tool for most elevations though due to the fact it doesn't stay "live" (after refreshing the view of course).

3.  The Edit Layout Line tool can be handy, however I would only recommend using it for minor touch ups to nearly complete plans, or to make more substantial changes once plan is completely finalized.  The view would stay "live", however if you make any changes that would affect those views and you want to refresh them, all your linework would be for naught.

4.  What I've found to be the most effective for me personally is to use polylines to "mask" the elevations as necessary.  Choose a solid fill set to Match Background and whatver line style and thickness you like (including the "clear" line option).  You can break lines, reshape, create polyline unions, etc. to cover whatever you don't want showing up in the view.  This way your view stays completely "live" and you have very little fear of anything getting messed up when you refresh a view.

Just my $.02

Its not the most beautiful plan work (at least compared to some I've seen around here) but I've attached a link to a dropbox file with a plan and layout in it that I recently did for a big cabinet layout.  Look through it a bit to get an idea of what I'm talking about if you like.  And note that all the "detail" pages were done with "Create CAD Detail From View"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2k5gkqafitspp7/ER%20backup.zip

Nice, thank you guys for posting examples.  This is a new part of chief for me I don't have much experience on.   My question at this point is, now that I have some cad to views, why are some views saved on the plan that I can click on and have them retrieved and others are deleted completely and I cant find them?  This one cross section that took me an hour to perfect didn't save and for some reason it was gone, even after saving it... is it saved somewhere else?

I like to keep all my sections live, to me it's a waste of this program to use "cad to view" unless you are drawing a detail. I hardly ever use it. After some practice you can use mask's to cover up errant lines, like a p-line with an earth fill. first thing to understand is to place your section line in the right place. then create your model as good as you can. I really don't ever have any problems keeping it live at all. That's as the program was meant to be. Can you imagine moving a wall or a foundation, or roof using cad to view. If you have already annotated it, could be a mess to fix.

keeping it live, you just open it up and close it---FIXED.

4.  What I've found to be the most effective for me personally is to use polylines to "mask" the elevations as necessary.  Choose a solid fill set to Match Background and whatver line style and thickness you like (including the "clear" line option).  You can break lines, reshape, create polyline unions, etc. to cover whatever you don't want showing up in the view.  This way your view stays completely "live" and you have very little fear of anything getting messed up when you refresh a view.

This is the way I usually did it in Revit.

This is the way I usually did it in Revit.

My preferred method now as well.