Didn't The Print Dialog Box Used To Remember The Previous Setting?

HumbleChief

It appears to still be working on build 20.2.2.3.   However the Print Range settings seemed to be a bit sticky on a previous job but once you complete a full print cycle they will stick the majority of the time.

42 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I guess I can assume that my computer is the only one that will not remember the previous printing setting like it used to?

Larry are you going through a complete print cycle or just print preview ?

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Larry are you going through a complete print cycle or just print preview ?

Complete print cycle to PDF. Not that big a deal to changes the settings each and every time but I thought it remembered the setting from a previous print. Maybe it's a setting I'm missing?

51 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Sounds like you should give tech support a call and see if they know anything.  Is it all the settings or just some of them?

I call usually when I can confirm it's a universal problem and/or that it's not user error.

I set it to print to Chief's PDF, print to PDF, close. I come back and it's set to my desk top printer. Change back to print to Chief PDF, print, close, rinse and repeat. Doesn't remember the Chief PDF printer. Just a bit annoying but not a show stopper.

Did you notice our versions were not the same or was there a typo in there?

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Did you notice our versions were not the same or was there a typo in there?

No not a typo.  I read the update notes and I am not experiencing any of those issues and forum users are reporting new issues that I just don't want to deal with right now.  I don't like to lag behind but sometimes it can be helpful.

Just now, Chopsaw said:

No not a typo.  I read the update notes and I am not experiencing any of those issues and forum users are reporting new issues that I just don't want to deal with right now.  I don't like to lag behind but sometimes it can be helpful.

Cool and thanks for the response. I wasn't having the issue a while ago so perhaps the new update doesn't remember the printer choice? I'll live with it for now as calling tech or filing a report is a PIA and since no one else is experiencing it I'll have to write it off as user error or computer magic.

Tried it on my end.  Destination printer sticks.  Printer destination is AFAIK remembered at the application level, so the issue could be your particular setup.

I couldn't find any print setting for CA in the Windows registry, so must be in some config file.

Weird, I opened it and saw what I posted above, with the check box checked. Then I opened the dbx some other magical manner from another magical layout and it was not checked. I checked the box in that magical layout and now it seems to be working....Weird.

REALLY appreciate the help!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I wanted to give a little update as to my findings on this.

First, the "Remember Print Settings after Printing" ONLY retains the last Printer used*, nothing else.  As per the Help Doc, "If the Remember box is checked, the last printer used in the current view type is shown ... If the Remember box is unchecked, the system’s default printer will be shown."

*Specifically, when on Drawing Sheet Setup, if you uncheck Remember, you can press Choose to specify Printer, Orientation, Paper Size, and Paper Source - these are the only settings affected by this option.

Next, the other settings have their own set of rules:

Print Range:

All or Current Sheet selection will be retained, Sheets will always reset between prints.

Print Source:

If Drawing Sheet is toggled ON on your Plan/Layout, Drawing Sheet will be selected by default.

If Drawing Sheet is toggled OFF on your Plan/Layout, Current View will be selected by default.

Drawing Scale:

Selection is retained between prints.

For reference (and curiosity) I tested this back to X3 and it's the same behavior.

I hope this clears things up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1