Wall/Window help

Larry_Sweeney

I've been working on this remodel off and on for awhile now. I'm so glad the client is not in a hurry. It seems every time I start back on it CA slaps me in the face with a new problem. Well, here it is. On the second floor I started to add windows in what is to be the master bedroom. On the exterior I have railing walls that are right against the regular "normal" walls in a couple of areas. When I add the windows in the normal walls in these areas they locate in the railing wall. (see attachments). Also notice that when this is happening the windows are not showing correctly on the left side in plan view. As far as I can tell the wall are "built" the came on both sides. Also notice where the railing wall is next to the Normal wall the soffit  overhang is not recognized (exterior view with question mark). Did I find a flaw in CA with these problems or am I building this all wrong with the way I'm labeling my walls or what. I really can't afford to pull any more hair out on my head.  :)  As always, ANY and ALL help will be much appreciated. This remodel is far from being completed and I feel this won't be the last time I'll be asking questions about what is going on.

2nd flr wall 1.JPG

2nd flr wall 2.JPG

CHANDLER 05052018.zip

1 hour ago, solver said:

The wall shown in your image is set as a Furred wall. Change it to Frame Through.

The side effects are serious but this may be the only way.  It deletes the end section of railing pony wall and deletes the windows.

However the windows can be replaced and you conveniently have a psolid filler that can be extended to fill the deleted railing wall.

Just a little fudging to do in floor plan.  Looks ok in 3D.

Chandler.jpg

Just a wee bit of a problem in the living room but still working on that one.

Not sure I could do it twice but was able to reinsert a railing wall set to "furred" but it would not take on the original pony wall settings so I  took the wall below and set it to " Balloon Through Ceiling Above" 

16 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

The side effects are serious but this may be the only way.  It deletes the end section of railing pony wall and deletes the windows.

However the windows can be replaced and you conveniently have a psolid filler that can be extended to fill the deleted railing wall.

Just a little fudging to do in floor plan.  Looks ok in 3D.

Chandler.jpg

I did think about the "p-solid" idea earlier when I made the up slope on the railing wall, but I was trying to figure out how to use regular CA walls ---------------- like it would be done in "real world" building. I'm going to play around with a "pony wall idea" that came up in my head. Maybe this one should be sent to support.

"Living Room problem" ---?

Let us know how it goes with the pony wall but it may not be possible when set to "furred".

I set the main wall to "frame through"

You can have the file back if you think it would help.  Don't think I messed it up too bad.

Nice looking build by the way.  Love to see it when you are done.  Quite the cantilever.

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Let us know how it goes with the pony wall but it may not be possible when set to "furred".

I set the main wall to "frame through"

You can have the file back if you think it would help.  Don't think I messed it up too bad.

Nice looking build by the way.  Love to see it when you are done.  Quite the cantilever.

There are many items not finished in this model---- TO BE WORKED OUT.  The cantilever will have post under it.

As I mentioned earlier, when I set the wall to frame through the railing wall disappears. Does this happen for you?

Just now, Larry_Sweeney said:

when I set the wall to frame through the railing wall disappears. Does this happen for you?

Yes and then I had to squeeze the railing wall back in as " Furred "

I got the warning a few times at one point but not sure what my setting were at that point.

Also still keep on getting warnings to flip the wall but even when you do it does not help.

Chopsaw............I think I got it. At the point where the railing wall and the normal wall meets I put in a wall break. From the break to the main house I then defined a new railing wall with siding on only one side. I then placed the normal wall next to the new defined railing wall and placed a window (double wall option "not through") in the normal wall. Looks okay and it doesn't seem to matter if it's set to furred or frame through.

I still have the problem with the soffit material above the railing wall area though (shown in exterior view of first attachment in this thread). The material showing is the drywall ceiling and not the soffit material. I think this problem is a CA bug and not a "setting" problem.

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I still have the problem with the soffit material above the railing wall area

Open railing wall below and deselect "Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom".  Not really sure why but it worked on my version. 

Also set the main wall back to default top height and it seemed to be ok that way.

• Upvote 1

Chopsaw..............Thanks so much for your time, advice and patience. It's very much appreciated. So is Chopsaw what you go by or do you have a first name?

Mark....................You were on the right path. Thanks for your time and advice.

Have a great day!

Yes I have a name but Chop or Chopsaw works fine here on the forum.   Is you plan stable now without warnings ?  Mine still thinks the walls are inside out when the drywall is on the inside.

Ah, woke up now, just saw the rest, need another cup:wub:

Had a quick run at this over coffee.

Changed window setting and cut windows;

break railing wall, change section in front of windows to furred, no room definition,

Primary exterior wall disappears, put back, reverse layers if they are wrong (were on one side, not other)

Paste back windows, fix gap in railing wall.(each side was slightly different there) Still issue with soffit on one side.

Hole in rail.png

CHANDLER fixed.plan

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes I have a name but Chop or Chopsaw works fine here on the forum.   Is you plan stable now without warnings ?  Mine still thinks the walls are inside out when the drywall is on the inside.

Well then, CHOP it is! Yes, I still get that warning when I open the plan and I have no idea what or where the problem is. I've have had many "issues" with building this model and have done many a work around which, I think, are starting to form their own issues now. As I move along in this model I'll probably be back here asking for advice and input.  Once again I thank you for your time and knowledge. Have a great day.

Mark............This model seems to be quite challenging in many ways. I find that it's better to work on it first thing in the morning rather than late at night.  :)  As of right now, between you and Chop, I'm on to the next challenge. I'm sure I'll be back with another issue before this project is finished. Maybe I shouldn't make them so hard. Thanks for taking time and giving advice----------much appreciated. Have a great day!