Help

WAGSDSN35

6 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Larry:

A couple of tips after watching your first two videos:

1.  You were having trouble changing the dimension of your PL solid because you were clicking on the actual dimension # instead of the dimension line itself.  I always click in the middle area of a dimension "line" to get the dbx to open up so I can input a different dimension.

2.  When you created your PL solid truss member and tried to make it parallel to your 4:12 roof pitch line, you selected the bottom edge of the PLS and then clicked the Make Parallel tool.  All you really did was make that one edge parallel with the roof pitch line.  What you needed to do was, after selecting the PLS edge was to double click the Make Parallel tool and then you'll get an option to rotate the entire PLS.  Doing that will maintain the symmetry of your PLS.

To be honest with you, I didn't know about the #2 tip until not that long ago.  Hope that helps you (and maybe a few others who run into the same difficulties).  Have a great day.

CJ  Ill give that a try also.  I appreciate the help!  You have a great day also.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, HumbleChief said:

Another custom truss created using the same tools. The reason for posting this is to show what's possible in Chief for the new users who really doubt the entire paradigm. Once you get used to Chief's tools they work pretty well....

I'll take a look @ those.  I was able to create trusses from watching your video, so it was very helpful afterall.  Thanx

Here's a pic of a Heavy Timber Truss I created just using the Truss dbx.  I didn't go to the trouble of creating the plates and bolts like Larry did - but it was easy to get the geometry of the truss itself.

I used 12x12's for all members except the top chords which are 12x14's.  The nice thing is that the grain is correct for each member without having to fuss with the material definition.  

Heavy Timber Truss.JPG

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Here's a pic of a Heavy Timber Truss I created just using the Truss dbx.  I didn't go to the trouble of creating the plates and bolts like Larry did - but it was easy to get the geometry of the truss itself.

I used 12x12's for all members except the top chords which are 12x14's.  The nice thing is that the grain is correct for each member without having to fuss with the material definition.  

Heavy Timber Truss.JPG

Great point above...and this can be created with a curve bottom chord as well with a curved ceiling plane. All of the member sizes can be specified here:

truss specs.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, WAGSDSN35 said:

Humble I viewed your video & it was really helpful.  I am about to view it again & then try to create some trusses.  Your instructions were very straight forward & easy to understand.  Kudos to you & much appreciated!  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hi, yes Wags is a nickname that goes wayyyy back.  Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been busy "Creating Trusses".  Both videos were helpful, esp. the last one using polyline solids.  Even though I know how to create an arc, there was one simple click of the mouse your video showed me that now I can do the same to a polyline solid, & I feel comfortable being able to create many things.  Your videos are actually a good length & your instructional style is easy to follow.  Am very appreciative of your help.  This forum is also very helpful.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, WAGSDSN35 said:

I come from AutoCAD & find Chief to be much more un-user friendly.  This program is frustrating to the pt. I am ready to flush the several thousands of $s I have paid for training(including Chief Experts) down the drain & go back to AutoCAD or learn one of the programs that actually have classes @ the local community college, since Chief dosnt.  That being said, I am trying to create a simple "truss(w/arched bottom chord).  I count no less than 8 possible ways/tools to create the arc but have yet to find a video that shows how to do this.  Can someone help please or direct me to a video.  Thank you!

I want to shout out to all of you that replied to my post about "creating an arched truss" & the difficulty I was having.  Thanx for taking the time to help as I can now do this & feel I have the ability to create many other things too!  Hopefully one day I can get up to speed to return the favor!

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:59 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

Heavy Timber Truss.JPG

Hi Joe,

Thanx for your interest in helping me.  How do you get the grain correct?

Jim

31 minutes ago, WAGSDSN35 said:

Thanx for your interest in helping me.  How do you get the grain correct?

I think the point Joe was making is that the grain will automagically be correct when you use the Truss tool. Just another chief quirk.

You can also do a fair amount of manual editing of automatic truss webs in the truss detail.  Here is a short vid that Michael did a while back. 

Also would be really great if you could edit the thread title to be a little more subject appropriate now that so may people have contributed to the topic and created a worthwhile searchable ( Only if the thread title or tags are subject appropriate ) information data base.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Also would be really great if you could edit the thread title to be a little more subject appropriate now that so may people have contributed to the topic and created a worthwhile searchable ( Only if the thread title or tags are subject appropriate ) information data base.

Thanks.

Yep, the Title should be Arched Truss or at least contain those 2 words.  Then a search for either of those 2 words will find this thread.  I'm actually surprised that Dermot didn't change it.

• Upvote 1