Help

WAGSDSN35

I come from AutoCAD & find Chief to be much more un-user friendly.  This program is frustrating to the pt. I am ready to flush the several thousands of $s I have paid for training(including Chief Experts) down the drain & go back to AutoCAD or learn one of the programs that actually have classes @ the local community college, since Chief dosnt.  That being said, I am trying to create a simple "truss(w/arched bottom chord).  I count no less than 8 possible ways/tools to create the arc but have yet to find a video that shows how to do this.  Can someone help please or direct me to a video.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, solver said:

In one of your previous threads you mentioned you are using Designer Pro, which I'm guessing is Home Designer Pro.

If that's true, then you must understand that it has limitations when compared to Chief Architect Premier.

What product are you using?

I was informed of that so I upgraded to Chief X9

Here's a quick vid on curved bottom roof trusses. Simple and easy for some but a bit more complex for others and for a beginner it can be downright frustrating as you've discovered. Hope it helps.

If you need to create a custom truss, that's another process.

• Like 1

I think in the real world, you would use a scissor truss and apply plywood with blocking to the bottom chord in the shape of the arch.  I would think that a truss with a curved bottom chord would be pretty expensive.

3 minutes ago, javatom said:

I think in the real world, you would use a scissor truss and apply plywood with blocking to the bottom chord in the shape of the arch.  I would think that a truss with a curved bottom chord would be pretty expensive.

Yeah true that, or create a custom curved bottom chord truss out of larger lumber - also very expensive. Have you ever done a curve bottomed truss? I have custom ordered some pretty elaborate trusses but the cost killed the project - or at least the trusses.

7 minutes ago, javatom said:

I don't think I would even waste their time by asking them to price it out.  It would never see the light of day.

There are a few clients around these parts where the cost of gigantic custom trusses (and custom engineered hardware etc.) isn't much of an obstacle. Those are pretty rare as you can imagine but I've seen them built in a couple homes. There's a place in Texas that will do the work and ship but again, really pricey.

7 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I wonder if my local truss company would build a curved bottomed truss??

Yes, they can do it. I've had Alpine manufacture barrel vaults; what I don't know is if the vault arch was "structural" or cosmetic.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, solver said:

In one of your previous threads you mentioned you are using Designer Pro, which I'm guessing is Home Designer Pro.

If that's true, then you must understand that it has limitations when compared to Chief Architect Premier.

What product are you using?

Thanx for your response.  Yea, I was given a heads up about that.  I have been using Chief Arch. X9 for nearly a year now.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, solver said:

What specific part of the process of creating your truss do you need help with?

Have you created a truss without the curved part?

Do you understand how to change a straight line to an arc?

Can you draw a slab, for example, and curve one of the sides?

I have created a standard truss.  I am able to change a straight line to a truss but am having trouble curving a slab or polyline solid.  So no, not able to curve a slab.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, javatom said:

Thanx for getting back to me.  Actually, price may be cost prohibitive in the long run.  I know of someone in the Portland/SW Washington area that does this.  Also, The trusses will be exposed which will cut down on the cost of a finished ceiling however being Arch. grade will even be more than you were anticipating.  I'll need to do the #s.  

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, HumbleChief said:

Here's a quick vid on curved bottom roof trusses. Simple and easy for some but a bit more complex for others and for a beginner it can be downright frustrating as you've discovered. Hope it helps.

If you need to create a custom truss, that's another process.

Humble I viewed your video & it was really helpful.  I am about to view it again & then try to create some trusses.  Your instructions were very straight forward & easy to understand.  Kudos to you & much appreciated!  I'll let you know how it turns out.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, solver said:

I was guessing something like this.

This is incomplete as I was working on some ideas.

ct1.thumb.jpg.b3482bcd27aa2a63d43f2163a5ff4a9f.jpg

Solver, yes that looks close to what i am looking for.  The major difference I may need/want a King Post.  Again, thanx for helping me out on this!

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, javatom said:

I don't think I would even waste their time by asking them to price it out.  It would never see the light of day.

That has crossed my mind.  There is a company up here that does this sort of structural(architectural) members.  

Larry:

A couple of tips after watching your first two videos:

1.  You were having trouble changing the dimension of your PL solid because you were clicking on the actual dimension # instead of the dimension line itself.  I always click in the middle area of a dimension "line" to get the dbx to open up so I can input a different dimension.

2.  When you created your PL solid truss member and tried to make it parallel to your 4:12 roof pitch line, you selected the bottom edge of the PLS and then clicked the Make Parallel tool.  All you really did was make that one edge parallel with the roof pitch line.  What you needed to do was, after selecting the PLS edge was to double click the Make Parallel tool and then you'll get an option to rotate the entire PLS.  Doing that will maintain the symmetry of your PLS.

To be honest with you, I didn't know about the #2 tip until not that long ago.  Hope that helps you (and maybe a few others who run into the same difficulties).  Have a great day.

• Like 1

Yeah, thanks and am aware of those tips but was trying to keep the vid a reasonable length and usually run in to those foibles only when recording a video. :) Kind of a Murphy's law sort of thing when recording. I've changed the dims a thousand times in a thousand elevation views and, again because I was recording, I get to look like a bonehead. The hope is that the general method gets illustrated and any user errors aren't enough to detract from that general illustration. Thanks again for the feedback and like you suggested hopefully it will help others trying the same technique.

Second take, I did NOT know about the double click the parallel tool - nice - and thank you...