Why is X6 so slow?

SteveT

I am having the same issues.  X6 seems extremely slow.  Moving a wall takes 2 seconds, and "Undo" now includes a "reading file" box that pops up for a couple of seconds before it "undoes" it.  I have just upgraded my computer at quite a pretty penny and I am still HIGHLY disappointed with the speed of X6.  I have tried all the quirky little things that people are suggesting so far - Freeze the countertop layer, remove any oval sinks, change my undo folder location, etc.  My 3D is great, zero issues there.  I am only having issues in 2d.  

Very frustrated,

I know everyone won't like this but, If you are running slow it could be a setting within the program, or your computer equip. Some other thing that could slow you down is round detailed railings, symbols that have a high face count and very large terrains. There probably are some bugs, but at this point they are not slowing me down that I know of. Check your settings, go back to the default and start over.

I think I am going to install an SSD drive, that will really speed things up for me.

SSD is the way to go...  Eliminated a lot a lag time for me on everything.  However, Undo is still slow...  Doug stated 'Undo' needs a rework in a previous post.  Maybe they will get around to one day..... 

I can't turn off "undo", I really need it, sometimes I just go to fast and delete the wrong thing.

An SSD will speed up the lag time associated with the 'saving' of the 'undo' steps.  It won't necessarily help that much when you need to actually use it...  With 'undo' on I noticed a lag time of around two to three seconds with a conventional hard drive using X6, with a large file when doing almost anything, with an SSD it is less than a second....

Worth the upgrade!!!

.........interesting reading everyone but..................lets face it a software package like CA should scream around with 16GB of ram on a 64bit system. I have no problems at all with large Archicad files and renders. I hear the settings suggestions but what settings are likely to bog/unbog the catchy behaviour I'm experiencing. I'm not aware of any that make a difference, and as stated had no problems with X5. I hear the SSD  comments also but come on guys this thing should run on a standard system without a problem.

Would love to hear from users who have experienced this and solved the issue.....    

How fast we can scream depends on the engine used. New and faster engine means more money. Revit starts at 6,000 plus, I'm sure it has a faster engine.

I'm not  sure if I buy this.  I think what you are saying is that Revit runs faster because it costs more because it has more efficient programming.  You are saying that the Revit Programmers are better than the CA programmers.  I hope this is not the case.  ( I am assuming you are  taking our own personal hardware out of the equation.)

I don't buy the fact that because the program costs more it is faster due to more efficient programming  (maybe I am wrong).  It costs more because it has more features,  I get that,  but efficient programming should cost the same.   To restate  what I am assuming....  the CA programmers are as good as the Revit programmers.  

Which brings us back to what Nick asks,  why is the Revit program faster than the CA program......  if it is.  

This is a great question Nick,  why is a  big Revit  file faster that a big CA file.  Sorry,  I don't have the answer but it would be great if someone could weigh in on this.  

Bottom line,  we users should never have to wait for CA to carry out an operation,  CA should be quicker than we are.   Gosh Nick,  I am curious as to what the answer is.   Do you think Perry is correct when he implies that a Revit file is quicker than a  CA file because the program costs more?

More money means they can work on the programming longer and have more of them, Chief always does their best with what they have. Everyone always works on making things faster. Chief is actually working pretty good for me but I have decent equip, that also has a lot to do with it.

Generally when first writing a program you stick with simple straight forward code, known algorithims, etc. Then during testing if you find unacceptable performance you begin to analyze the code for the bottlenecks. Once those areas are identified you rewrite the associated code and sometimes the required code can be much more complex. And the faster you try to make it the harder it is to get each successive increment in speed.

All of which takes time and you face dimishing returns. And as we all know time is money.

That's an over simplification but it touches on the issues.

Also while the world is full of programmers, top notch programmers are harder to find.

Programming is a field that is easy to enter but very, very hard to master.

Fred, right or wrong, I get your post. GOOD programmers are hard to find. Good designers are hard to find, thus you get what you pay for.

I get it. Therefore to get back to Nick's initial question, a more talented programmer may speed up the program. I do not mean to denigrate the CA programmers, just stating what I think Fred is saying.

Please correct me if I am wrong,

BTW, I think this program is wonderful, CA had done a super job in the last7 years, This program is light years ahead of where it was on 2005.

I don’t think it’s a matter of programming skill or the cost of the program.

I think it’s more a question of the resources available.

Early on, Autodesk purchased the rights to their graphic engine software and has tweaked it considerably since then. Most mid range CAD programs like Chief rely on third party graphic engines via some open consortium such as Open Cascade or Open Alliance – so they are limited in their access to the core graphic routines and therefore performance.

In Short, AutoDesk, Bentley, etc. software can recognize the complexity of the current design and take a lot of short cuts to display faster. Chief is “stuck” more with a “one size fits all’ solution.  IMHO, Chief is highly optimized for small residential designs and is probably the best, most vibrant software out there for smaller projects —much better than either Revit or Archicad which are optimized for bigger projects ( by cutting corners & resolution details).

For its target market, Chief’s graphics and performance are near the top of its field.  Spending a ton of money to compete in a crowded field seems short sighted to me. It would require abandoning its present essentially “freebee” graphics engine to rewrite its own. – Huge effort which I doubt any here would find justified, particularly, since it would divert attention from more pressing problem areas. AND, the open consortiums are continuously improving their software anyway.

I’m pretty much satisfied with the performance I see. If I ever get a project for a multi-story office building or a factory, I’ll probably use a different program anyway. So—what the hey?

• Upvote 1

Fred, right or wrong, I get your post. GOOD programmers are hard to find. Good designers are hard to find, thus you get what you pay for.

I get it. Therefore to get back to Nick's initial question, a more talented programmer may speed up the program. I do not mean to denigrate the CA programmers, just stating what I think Fred is saying.

Please correct me if I am wrong,

BTW, I think this program is wonderful, CA had done a super job in the last7 years, This program is light years ahead of where it was on 2005.

I was trying to make two points - one is that there is going to be a cost associated with improving the performance and the cost may be too great - and up to a point another programmer or two can speed the process of creating the new code to improve the performance but finding a top notch programmer who is really going to add to your pool of talent is not easy.

I'm running a GTX 680 and i'm gonna SLI another GTX 680 I have on order. I already have my sandy bridge OC'd to 4 Ghz and i may push that up to 4.2 but i'm not too sure about pushing it and will need to make sure i can get good stability.I was running as administrator and that was making the help file open up fast but now Park has got me freaked out about leaving that setting on so I took it off and of course now i have to wait nearly a full minute for the help file to open up.  I'll let you know if I find any better performance with double the GPU power.

Well there were a few assumptions - I love the way conversations quickly change, my archicad got switched to a revit/autocad debate over night.

What ever a program costs I still expect the damn thing to run properly. It's frustrating when I draw/design for a living and the program can't keep up with what I'm laying down on the screen...anyhoooo I'll see if tech support has any solutions......love your input though   

I've just sat with a client using my old laptop - although a bit slow on regenerating - it seemed smoother than CA on my desk top.

Laptop is 32bit, 2Ghz with 3.00G of ram running on WinXp.

Desktop is 64bit 3.4GHz with 16GB of ram running on Win 8.1

Anyone else seeing a difference between 32/64bit and different windows platforms?

After looking back at this initial post I'm wondering if perhaps you don't have the Intel Turbo boost activated.  You say your PC is 3.4GHz...correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a 3.4GHz processor.  Only a 2.4 that can reach 3.4 with turbo boost activated.  The laptop may actually be faster if the turbo boost is activated on that.  Just a thought.

I'm running a GTX 680 and i'm gonna SLI another GTX 680 I have on order. I already have my sandy bridge OC'd to 4 Ghz and i may push that up to 4.2 but i'm not too sure about pushing it and will need to make sure i can get good stability.I was running as administrator and that was making the help file open up fast but now Park has got me freaked out about leaving that setting on so I took it off and of course now i have to wait nearly a full minute for the help file to open up.  I'll let you know if I find any better performance with double the GPU power.

I don't think Chief utilizes the full power of an SLI setup, at least in the past they said they don't.

After looking back at this initial post I'm wondering if perhaps you don't have the Intel Turbo boost activated.  You say your PC is 3.4GHz...correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a 3.4GHz processor.  Only a 2.4 that can reach 3.4 with turbo boost activated.  The laptop may actually be faster if the turbo boost is activated on that.  Just a thought.

Yup Michael - 3.4GHz no turbo boost.

post-171-0-13009600-1396640060_thumb.jpg

Yup Michael - 3.4GHz no turbo boost.

Wow, 8 cores too.  I wonder if perhaps you don't have some extraneous programs running all the time or if something is using up a bunch of your memory.  Do you run any CPU, RAM, or processor speed meters to see what your computer is doing at any given moment?? 

I don't think Chief utilizes the full power of an SLI setup, at least in the past they said they don't.

You're right and it's just ridiculous but I'M REALLY GETTING DESPERATE!!  X6 crashes on me regularly.  it's draggy slow and if I don't run as admin it takes up to a full minute to open help.  I wouldn't really care about the help thing as i can just open it once, but the crashing and the lag during use is driving me insane and affecting my productivity and quality of use.  If I could go back to X5 on my current projects I would.

X6 has some nice new features but if i can't use if effectively what's the point??  Is this is??  Do we just deal with it until hopefully X7 works right or is there new updates scheduled??  anyone heard anything??

It's kinda getting silly that we're all looking at our hardware now trying to figure out if it's something with our systems.  let's face it, everybody's computer didn't somehow all go awry spontaneously all at the same time...

Really Blows...  I get that it's a challenge to make software and it's a great program when it works.  The previous versions have been rock solid stable has been my experience so i don't want to be all down on Chief.  I believe in the product and tech has always been very attentive but something is up with X6.