Workflow for revising CAD details?

Richard_Morrison

Thought I'd see if I am missing any time-saving steps for revising/replacing CAD details.

Let's say I've got a detail that I need to revise, located in a folder in the User Library. Currently, I have to 1) place the detail, 2) explode it, 3) revise it, 4) re-block it and save to bottom level of User Library with same name, 5) Move library block with cut/paste to original folder, 6) Delete old detail with same name. Any way to save a step or two or is that as good as it gets?

There are a couple other methods of storing those CAD Details that would allow for less extra moves...

1.  Use CAD Block Management to store some of those CAD Details (especially those that get edited often).  This way you only have to drop into plan, explode, modify, rename to original name, and you're done.  The biggest downside to this method is that it CAN cause some otherwise unnecessary plan size bloat. 

2.  You can use a CAD Block warehouse plan and either store the CAD Blocks in CAD Details, in CAD Block Management, or right there in Plan View.  The beauty of this method is that you can optionally link these CAD Blocks to layout files so that changes are essentially global; otherwise, you just copy and paste.  No futzing around with all the extra steps either.  If you want to edit the block you just edit it and leave it sitting right where it is.  

As far as storing in the library...Yes, I think you're doing about the best you can do.  It sure would be nice if we could simply right click and "Edit CAD Block" wouldn't it?

I've generally been storing most details -- one detail per CAD detail view -- in the Detail Management Section of the Layout, which maintains the scale of the details, as well as automatically labels the detail when sent to layout pages. But I keep things like text blocks and notes in the library for placing directly on the layout pages, as well as backup copies of the details. I've often wondered if having multiple similar details in a single CAD detail causes less bloat, though.