Solid Floor in cross sections

olivia222

I am a new user, and am working on my first multi level dwelling. I know how to create a ground floor foundation, but want to create mid floor slabs for the levels above. I have tried a few things but nothing will appear in cross section as a solid obvious object. It will be a timber structure, but I dont want to indicate that at this stage, just a solid floor.

Capture.JPG

Sadly Chief does not show solids as solids in that cross section slider view you've chosen. I have thought for a while it would be a real game changer for 3D details but I haven't found a way to fill those solid type materials with a solid fill in cross section slider views. Nothing fills that I can see, framing floors slabs etc. Probably saves on some programming overhead? Don't know but would be a great upgrade IMO.

May be a work around out there but it would be just that.

42 minutes ago, olivia222 said:

Hi HumbleChief,

Thanks for your help - so no way of showing in a normal cross section also shown?

Thanks

Post the plan FILE and you will get a better answer but it’s really pretty simple to get a solid fill in section view.  There are a couple very easy ways depending on your structure and settings, but here’s one...change the floor structure material to concrete, create an elevation view, and then click CAD>Auto Detail. There are other non-CAD based solutions too.

12 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Post the plan FILE and you will get a better answer but it’s really pretty simple to get a solid fill in section view.  There are a couple very easy ways depending on your structure and settings, but here’s one...change the floor structure material to concrete, create an elevation view, and then click CAD>Auto Detail. There are other non-CAD based solutions too.

Do you know of a way to show solids in a cross section slider view as she has posted? I would LOVE to know how that might be done. I tried a couple different ways with concrete joists and other such, but never got solids to show in a cross section slider view. Still think solids n that view would be KILLER for 3D details.

I see she also wanted to see solids in a simple cross section view, which should be very easy with the proper layers turned on but I think, like you suggest, having the plan would make it a bit easier to really help.

57 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Do you know of a way to show solids in a cross section slider view as she has posted?

Yes and no.  None that don't require either adding faces manually or changing the model to a symbol and going through a series of manipulations.

33 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes and no.  None that don't require either adding faces manually or changing the model to a symbol and going through a series of manipulations.

Thanks for the reply Michael...I remember when I first saw that feature I was like, "Wow, this will be awesome for some custom 3D details." but upon closer inspection did not materialize.

In the simple Cross section (OP) isn't just a CAD Box with with Fill the easy solution or have I missed something in the discussion ?

I too have run into the "Solids not really being Solids" , (just faces) issue too in the past.

M.

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

In the simple Cross section (OP) isn't just a CAD Box with with Fill the easy solution or have I missed something in the discussion ?

I too have run into the "Solids not really being Solids" , (just faces) issue too in the past.

M.

Yeah should be pretty easy, but quite a few hit and run posters lately so no telling where the OP is at.

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah should be pretty easy, but quite a few hit and run posters lately so no telling where the OP is at.

I noticed the same thing actually , for whatever reason People on the Net don't seem to think "good manners"  eg a Thank You is needed when Help is provided...

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I noticed the same thing actually , for whatever reason People on the Net don't seem to think "good manners"  eg a Thank You is needed when Help is provided...

Not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but I am from NZ so there is a time delay....(and am a novice so it takes me a bit of time). Thank you all for your help and I am about to give it a go so will let you know.

One easy trick to remember is when you cut a simple cross section you can draw almost anything you want on to that section. Fills, slabs, colors, etc. Save the camera and all the 'drawings' will be saved with it. An remember you may not be seeing things because that layer may not be turned on in that section view. 

On 5/15/2018 at 2:14 PM, olivia222 said:

Not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but I am from NZ so there is a time delay....(and am a novice so it takes me a bit of time). Thank you all for your help and I am about to give it a go so will let you know.

No Sorry Olivia,  it was a general comment and not aimed at you..... always happy to have another contributing member here , since the Forums are User helping User ( mostly ).

It's good to have your Forum Signature filled in, especially with the Software Version, and of course a real Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.
If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum so you need to Toggle it on in UserName>Account >Signatures...... go to the Upper RH Corner of this Forum Window and Click on your User Name >Account Settings.

M.