Wall Schedule ?

Joe_Carrick

Typically I have to provide "Wall Schedules" in my ConDocs for building departments.  The information needs to show:

• Wall Type (construction) - Graphic Legend
  • Lengths and Heights
  • Shear Wall (Y/N) - Solid Hatch in Plan if "Y"
  • Shear Wall Sheathing and Nailing if "Y"
  • Demo Wall (Y/N) - Graphic indication and Lengths.

I just spent an entire day meeting with the Planning Department and Inspectors - then manually revising such a schedule for California Coastal Zone requirements on a remodel project. 

Has anyone developed a means of automating any or all of the above?  If so, please share your method.

• Upvote 1

I might be able to create a text report with all of the above by using a macro in the default wall labels.  However, I would really need for CA to provide an attribute containing the wall_type definition (materials & thicknesses) plus an "is_shear wall" attribute. 

If they just had a "Wall Schedule" and there was an OIP for walls then it would be really pretty easy.

• Upvote 1

I would absolutely love an automated version of this. I have to do this on all my con docs as well.

Currently I screenshot with adobe photoshop and crop a square section of each wall, then manually type in a list of all the wall components next to the inserted wall graphics in my plan layout.

16 minutes ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

Currently I screenshot with adobe photoshop and crop a square section of each wall

Ouch....   You can save quite a bit of effort there by using a cad detail from view of a specified length of wall section.

Don't feel too bad though because I drew mine out with cad before I figured that trick out.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Ouch....   You can save quite a bit of effort there by using a cad detail from view of a specified length of wall section.

Don't feel too bad though because I drew mine out with cad before I figured that trick out.

Oh I have Cad sections for details of wall connections, windows and flashing etc. The above method was just for a wall type Table I have on the first page of a plan set. It is just a quick and dirty icon image to show the colors etc on the plan set identifying what each wall type is.

Yes I do the same, You just draw a wall in plan that is a foot or two long create a cad detail from view and cut it from the cad detail and paste it back into you wall chart in your plan so it looks exactly like a wall but does not screw up your material list or show in 3D.

I have a spreadsheet for this, I've attached it here so you can get an idea how I work.  It is a tedious process, but it is the best I can do.

The spreadsheet I attached is a master sheet.  Every time I do my assemblies for a project, I check to see that I have in this file assemblies that are the same or close enough to modify.  If I need to create new ones, I do this and save it in the master sheet, so they are available next time I need them.  Then I make a "Save as" copy of the sheet into my project folder and delete all the assemblies I don't need.  I make changes and adjustments to the ones I need, then copy them into rich text objects in Chief.

I started doing it this way in X4, and it worked great.  Chief would preserve the row and column widths and I could stack components of my schedules in a predictable way to make nice clean schedules.  I put a lot of work into making this system clean and organized.  Unfortunatly, in X9 chief started compressing schedules so that there was no empty spaces, which means that if an entire row or column is empty it is compressed to a thin line, and even populated rows and columns were compressed to the largest body of text in a given cell.

I end up doing all my schedules in X4 as I did before, and printing a layout to PDF.  Then I import that PDF into the X10 layout.  It takes time, but works for me.  I've reported the spreadsheet compression issue to tech support, and they have passed it along to the development team.  But if they actually add spreadsheets to Chief, I'll forgive them for this.  If they make a tool to let us schedule out floor, wall and roof assemblies like this with user defined attributes I'd be over the moon.

Assembly Worksheet.xls

McNight Assemblies X4.layout

McNight Assemblies X4.plan

Wall Assembly.jpg