MEP included in construction Doc's

ChiefGrego

In 2009 or 2010 I was submitting plans to city w/o a separate page for plumbing or HVAC.  I sat out for a while and now am drawing again just a bit.  My builder is telling me I need these pages for the city.  Can I get some clarification on this.  I show  where the bath tub and commode go and the water heater and that sort of thing.  I'm looking at Architects plan for a guest house here in Austin and I do not see any MEP just the normal items that my plans show.  Can anybody help me understand what I am needing to provide.  City is Fort Worth , TX

I asked the city and they are telling me I need those pages.  I have a brother who is a construction manager and his companies designer does not include those pages with his plan set.  I am trying to determine if the HVAC company and the plumbing company provide them for submitting to the city.  I cleaqrly do not know how to produce those pages as I know nothing about HVAC layout.  

Thank you for responding!

You need to have the City tell you what information is required on these pages. Just register locations, or full duct sizing/layout? Whatever the answer, if you can't do it, you will need to find someone who can. Some subs can do this, but in other cases you may need to engage a mechanical engineer.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate it Richard!  I ended up following the lead of another set of prints I had sent to me that were done by an "architect.  The HVAC system was the question.  The drawing was pretty generic (listed "proposed HVAC" ) with a note stating the builder responsibility for proper installation and equipment.  I did the work, added the page,  then charged for the extra time.   

I later spoke to a 3rd party inspection service ( who takes care of permitting) and let know that the HVAC companies will do it for the builder.  My customer is a first time investor who insisted I do the page.  

Greg Christenson (Grego)-GregoPlanDesign

Learning as I go.  

x10 Premier on Windows10 (User since 2003)or so off and on

On 5/8/2018 at 10:31 PM, ChiefGrego said:

In 2009 or 2010 I was submitting plans to city w/o a separate page for plumbing or HVAC.  I sat out for a while and now am drawing again just a bit.  My builder is telling me I need these pages for the city.  Can I get some clarification on this.  I show  where the bath tub and commode go and the water heater and that sort of thing.  I'm looking at Architects plan for a guest house here in Austin and I do not see any MEP just the normal items that my plans show.  Can anybody help me understand what I am needing to provide.  City is Fort Worth , TX

We just reached our 500th plan and submital. This number includes 7 states. The only time MEP plans were required in a residential home is when we did a 12,500 sft 3 story house. We hired an MEP Engineering firm and it cost us over 5000.00 dollars. I hear of it happening from time to time but I though that was just urban ledgend.