ASSERTION ERROR - CHIEF X10 BUG

mrscott

Why am I not suprised by this?  Opening a X10 file I have been working on for a week now. An ESOP with the same problems I have been having since Day 1 of using Chief (And you wonder why I think Chief is Crap compared to ArchiCAD). I am only posting this for the benefit of the wonderful friends I have met over the years who have chosen to fight it out and deal with the BS at Chief.

ASSERTION ERROR - (I.E. BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, AND MORE BUGS) "HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO BET CHIEF SAYS..."I'M SORRY BUT WE ARE UNABLE TO REPRODUCE THIS ERROR IN OUR SYSTEM" BLA...BLA..BLA...

Assertion failed: A serious error occurred. Do not save the file in its current state. If you want to try saving your work, use Save As to create a new file. Please restart the program and contact Technical Support.

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\20.2\chief\source\Edit\EditBehavior.cpp(841): Error #272000999

"A serious error occurred. Do not save the file in its current state. If you want to try saving your work, use Save As to create a new file. Please restart the program and contact Technical Support."

5/8/2018 6:54:31 AM

Build: 20.2.3.3x64

STEPS:

Opened file.

Open CAD Default Living space box

BOOM! ERROR,ERROR,ERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CARE TO KNOW HOW MANY OTHER UNEXPLAINED CHIEF BUGS I HAVE ENCOUNTERED I WILL GLADLY SHARE A SCREEN SHOT OF MY SUPPORT FILE LIST.

FUTURE USER OF CHIEF BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assertion Error #272000999.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

PART 3

AFTER CLOSING ERROR BUG PART 2, I SAVED AS 4.1

REOPENED LAYOUT

DOUBLE CLICKED ON LINKED PLAN FILE

OPENED CAD, DEFAULT LAYER ITEM TO EDIT LABEL

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUG, BUG,BUG AGAIN!

CHIEF....WILL YOU EVER GET YOUR PROGRAM TO WORK WITHOUT MAKING EXCUSES AND OR SUGGESTING YOU SELL ME A TRAINING PACKAGE?

• Downvote 1

PART 3

AFTER CLOSING ERROR BUG PART 2, I SAVED AS 4.1

REOPENED LAYOUT

DOUBLE CLICKED ON LINKED PLAN FILE

OPENED CAD, DEFAULT LAYER ITEM TO EDIT LABEL

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUG, BUG,BUG AGAIN!

CHIEF....WILL YOU EVER GET YOUR PROGRAM TO WORK WITHOUT MAKING EXCUSES AND OR SUGGESTING YOU SELL ME A TRAINING PACKAGE?

"I'M SORRY BUT WE ARE UNABLE TO REPRODUCE THIS ERROR IN OUR SYSTEM" BLA...BLA..BLA...

• Downvote 1

Scott - not sure about the bug you are experiencing but your new avatar definitely expresses your frustration. Just for the record, never have and never would give anyone a negative vote. Since the last update I did have the odd error pop up but for whatever reason they seem to have gone away so I'm not sure as to what caused them. Would you consider posting the plan to see if the error occurs on our systems? Excuse the pun but try to "hang" in there.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with the software, Scott. I can totally understand your frustration especially if tech support has no answers for you :(

Have you received this error with previous versions as well or just in X10? Also, as TKA said, when you have a moment please attach the plan file so we can take a look :) 

I also have had a few of those errors with X10, not with X8-X9.  In my case, while not sure why CA would bomb out, I do know what I was attempting to do:  placing some imported high poly 3D's on a plan.  I could see CA's memory go up to 9GB (!) and and excruciatingly slow response  While working with the plan with those symbols were and not even manipulating them, I would get that error.  Turns out for me that saving as another instance and later reloading that instance did not cause any problem.

I finally gave up on those symbols and removed then from that plan: no issue since.  Did I mention that I discovered that one symbol had 2 million faces? :mellow:

What I would like to see is an error message with a bit more detail: the program knows, why not share a bit.  Enough to give me a general idea of what to watch for.  Also and this might already be an option, but how about a dump feature I could share with Support?

Bottom line is: most applications are developed to address the main cases of logic, hopefully to address most of the exceptions.  Too often, the development cycle can't afford to do load stress testing.

It's been known since Chief started to always check any symbols you might import for face size and reduce it prior to using. Some imported symbols are just too large especially from Sketch up warehouse.

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

It's been known since Chief started to always check any symbols you might import for face size and reduce it prior to using. Some imported symbols are just too large especially from Sketch up warehouse.

Any hints on how to reduce the count (which I assume needs to be done before importing)?  

Sorry to hear that Scott, I've had a few with X10 but mainly the SEH Error Type , but the Bad one I had was Corrected in 20.2.0.51 , they were able to use my "Reports" ( from the send report button ) to track it down , so one word of advice is always to hit the Send Report Button regardless , even if you have already done it " 9 times this morning ".

Be happy to try your file too like others, if you want to post it.......and if they are suddenly inundated with Send Report Files , they may be able to track it down :) ...

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems using our software. Unfortunately, you are not going to solve any of your problems by posting things like this on Chieftalk.

If you are interested in solving your problems, helping us improve our software, or in helping other Chief users avoid these kinds of problems in the future, this is what you can do instead:

- You should always report problems like this directly to tech support. I just checked and I could not find any reports for this problem. Tech support does not monitor this forum looking for problems. They are too busy answering phone calls and support tickets from the people that contact them directly. Posting rants on Chieftalk will not get their attention but it may result in one of the moderators removing your post.

- More information about how to contact tech support can be found here: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

- When you report problems to tech support, you need to provide them with enough information that we can reproduce the problem. In your post above, you have not provided nearly enough information to be useful. Tech support will need a plan that demonstrates the problem along with the EXACT steps needed to reproduce the problem. Without this information, we usually can't do much to solve the problem.

- Some types of problems can't easily be reproduced by tech support because they are system related. Video cards and their specific drivers are a frequent source of these kinds of problems. Other operating system issues, file system issues, and conflicts with other software on your system can all lead to problems that are difficult for tech support to reproduce. In these cases, tech support will need to ask you for more detailed and specific information about your system to diagnose the problem. If tech support asks you for more information, please try to provide it to them otherwise we may not be able to help further.

- If you are experiencing problems that you can't reproduce consistently, you should always use the "Send Report" button when it appears on the error message dialog box. This will give us some low level information about the problem that we can sometimes use to figure out what went wrong. It is not nearly as good as sending us a plan that demonstrates a reproducible problem, but it can help and it only takes the push of a button to do.

- If you are not using the latest update, then you should always download and install it. Almost all of our updates include important bug fixes that could prevent these kinds of problems.

- If you have not rebooted your system lately, you should always do this first. It's amazing how many strange and frustrating problems can disappear after you reboot your computer.

• Upvote 5

There was a Louis CK comedy bit talking about how angry people would get at poor service with an airline. His response was something along the lines of: isn't it amazing that we can fly?(albeit a bit more graphic and hilarious)

I have had my own frustrations w/X10, and I have encountered this error before where I had to revert back to a previous auto-save.

I do miss the pic you had up before as your profile avatar..I laughed @ the new one. funny!

I just wanted to post a follow-up so that everyone understands how seriously we take problems like this.

We were able to find 3 cases where Scott used the "Send Report" button on the error message dialog from within the program.  Unfortunately, after analyzing this data we determined that there is not enough information to diagnose the problem.  The "Send Report" button is not a good substitute for reporting problems directly to tech support.  It only contains some very low level program data and it does not contain any information from the plan that was open at the time of the problem or how we got there.  The "Send Report" button only helps us find the actual bug in less than 5% of the cases.  Not great but better than nothing.  Sending a plan to tech support with the steps to a reproducible problem like this will help us find the bug in about 99.9% of the cases.

At this point, we really can't do anything else unless Scott wants to give us an actual plan and the steps to reproduce the problem. 

In spite of all of our efforts, he has still not contacted tech support to do this. :(

• Upvote 3

On 5/9/2018 at 6:54 AM, cv2702 said:

Any hints on how to reduce the count (which I assume needs to be done before importing)?  

Sketchup models can be "cleaned up and reduced in size' using CleanUp.

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/cleanup³

by ThomThom
Cleans up and optimizes your SketchUp model.

CleanUp³

Features

Fixes duplicate component definition names ( When in model scope )

Purge unused items

Erase hidden geometry

Erase duplicate faces

Erase lonely edges ( Except edges on cut plane )

Remove edge material

Repair split edges

Smooth & soft edges

Put edges and faces to Layer0

Merge identical materials

Merge connected co-planar faces