X10 Updates

mrscott

It looks like there have been 5 updates since X10 went final release. I noticed on today's...

2 20.2.3.3 Update Notes 2.1 Electrical • Fixed a problem that could cause all electrical objects attached to walls to be removed from a plan when Undo was used after certain actions. 2.2 Roofs • Fixed a crash relating to frieze molding that occurred when some plans were opened.

Although is good to know what is in the update vague notations such as "after certain actions." indicates they don't really know what caused the issue so, how can one know to test the update for problem resolution or what a user is doing that may have caused the issue to surface in the first place.

I think I make a valid point here why? Well, Chief's tech support has stated on numerous occasions there are many ways to do things to achieve the desired results. What was reported that prompted Chief to delve into this particular issue that warranted a revisions? 

Many of you have beat me down and demoted my points (not really sure what the point of those things are in the first place but whatever) for be critical of Chief. Well, I have also stated, often in the same context, how good Chief is at many things, and it is good at many things, in fact it does many things beautifully! The only point(s) I am trying to make here is get the core features of the "Professional Version" of your product at least as solid as the competition first. The other bells and whistles will only add value to the rest. I will never completely abandon Chief, if not for the many things it does well, but for you guys, the great people I have come to know through the years. I have never been one to accept the status quo and have always kept my eye on what others programs are doing. If there appears, through exploration, to be a product that makes sense to me I will investigate. 

I could go on but I will leave you with this. When Chief gets the Stair Tool to a professional level of capability and does away with rooms that drive practically everything and moves to Story for levels for defining elevations, and does away with the separate LAYOUT and puts everything in one file like REVIT, ARCHICAD, VECTORWORKS, to name a few, then I can honestly support Chief as a Professional Architectural Design Software. 

P.S. I am more than happy to speak with anyone wishing to know more but not here. I am only trying to encourage Chief as a Company....Come on guys you're so close and believe you can do it.

Pretty pictures, Elaborate libraries are nothing more than putting a very $5000 paint job on a dirt track bumper car. To the professional, this adds ZERO value when I need a solid can do it all software package to produce CONDOCs. The paint job is secondary.

BTW..I wish there was a way to point at the Reputation button with Laughing icon. I really don't get where some of you are coming from. I don't hate Chief! I just wish they would fix the things that have been half baked for too long and stop pushing out new stuff for the sake of sales. I was a $450 a year SSA contributor for many years but that stopped this year and will not return and Chief gets it together. As for the reputation points. I wish I could remove them altogether. I could not care less what they are there for and feel sorry for those who do. So sad!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

It's interesting how fast they are pushing (what appear to be very minor) updates to X10. I wonder if this is their new paradigm, or if X10 simply had some really serious flaws that they felt had to be immediately addressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrscott said:

I could go on but I will leave you with this. When Chief gets the Stair Tool to a professional level of capability and does away with rooms that drive practically everything and moves to Story for levels for defining elevations, and does away with the separate LAYOUT and puts everything in one file like REVIT, ARCHICAD, VECTORWORKS, to name a few, then I can honestly support Chief as a Professional Architectural Design Software. 

P.S. I am more than happy to speak with anyone wishing to know more but not here. I am only trying to encourage Chief as a Company....Come on guys you're so close and believe you can do it.

Pretty pictures, Elaborate libraries are nothing more than putting a very $5000 paint job on a dirt track bumper car. To the professional, this adds ZERO value when I need a solid can do it all software package to produce CONDOCs. The paint job is secondary.

Scott I agree I wish Chief would concentrate on revamping the stair and railing tools, and concentrate on producing construction documents since without accurate condoc there is no accurate pretty pictures like putting a house on the ground without any foundation

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, rlackore said:

It's interesting how fast they are pushing (what appear to be very minor) updates to X10. I wonder if this is their new paradigm, or if X10 simply had some really serious flaws that they felt had to be immediately addressed.

I gave you a thumbs up.

I see Chief as a two-pronged tool mostly.

1. Sales tool with great 3D modeling to educate clients on what they are getting with their design

2. Creator of construction plans for permit.

Sure it does more, but for me, I get paid to create plans for permit and it has NOT been easy to get up to speed with Chief.  I give MUCH credit to DS Hall, The Alaskan Son, ChiefTutor and all the others who have taken the time to create videos to SHOW how to use Chief effectively.  Thank You!

I would like to see a collaboration between the smart/talented people here to develop "the perfect" residential layout template.  (well actually it would be close maybe)

It could follow the general format we would all vote on:

Cover

Gen Notes

Design Criteria and State/Local specifics

Site/Plot Plan

Ecology

Foundation

Basement Plan

Basement Framing

First Floor Plan

First Floor Framing

Second Floor Plan

Second Floor Framing

Elevations

Sections

Schedules

Roof

3D

Not all would apply for everyone, but a thorough starter template would be great.

Each page would have basic text and details located (current IRC code etc - if allowed by copyright).

All items would be customizable.  It would be nice to have some of the ruby macro tools already populated and ready to use or delete instead of spending so much time trying to discover if something is possible.  The "work-around" term is wearing thin with me.  A work-around is just a series of steps that can be encapsulated into a.........button.  It just takes smart coders and the will and $$$ to make it happen.

Just my 2 cents for today

• Upvote 1

I second the motion regarding “story” or “levels” to deal with floor and ceiling heights as opposed to the “room” approach that Chief utilizes. 

Since we are already defining walls with materials and paint it seems that we could simply add baseboard, crown mouldings etc right in along with the wall definition and be done with it.