terrain import from survey

scout1

1 hour ago, scout1 said:

am I missing something I have imported dwg into new drawing

created terrain with no result other than it turning out flat using x9

ACAD-15-450_TPO-1.DWG

I have tried all steps in video 1056 with same outcome flat terrain

this is why I included dwg for help thanks. 

7 minutes ago, dshall said:

I gave your plan a go and I could not get it to work.  In fact,  when I imported I found nothing.

thanks for the try. I do get info in new drawing can see lots of information will let me build terrain

ect. just stays flat thanks again for the try. 

It looks like all the terrain contours must have been cad blocked together and may not even contain elevation data.  You could unblock them and convert to elevation lines and assign your own elevations, but they are not really even labeled from what I can see so unless you know the site very well it would be difficult to be sure and get it right.  I would get in touch with the surveyor and ask if he can unblock the contour lines and maybe it will import with the data or you could ignore the contour lines and enter all of the elevation points and let chief generate the contours but you again would have to know what the surveyors codes mean or it could turn into a mess in a hurry.

18 minutes ago, dshall said:

When you import,  before you actually import,  do you identify all stuff on the maj an$ min contours as contours?

i: going off memory in r3gards to termin9logy.

after importing dwg I do need to explode cad block before I can select a contour line

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It looks like all the terrain contours must have been cad blocked together and may not even contain elevation data.  You could unblock them and convert to elevation lines and assign your own elevations, but they are not really even labeled from what I can see so unless you know the site very well it would be difficult to be sure and get it right.  I would get in touch with the surveyor and ask if he can unblock the contour lines and maybe it will import with the data or you could ignore the contour lines and enter all of the elevation points and let chief generate the contours but you again would have to know what the surveyors codes mean or it could turn into a mess in a hurry.

thanks I did notice everything was on a cad block I will contact survey company and try again

It might even be possible that all 20 of the E-PT-....  layers contain elevation data.   Hard to say for sure.

Do you have a DWG viewer or PDF copy of the survey?   There is a legend that may help you out a bit.

Trial and Error maybe ?

In this situation where there is nothing much to confirm with it would be handy to know.

Any DWG experts out there ?   Also why don't the scale and legend import ?