CA Multi-user file system anytime?

amddrafting

So is there any anticipation of having CA files being able to be worked on at the same time by multiple users or is this a pipe dream that we need to let go?  Currently we have to create numerous files in order to multiple people to work on the same project but we're limited to changing anything in the project without updating every file.  This gets significantly difficult when we work on commercial projects.

Anyway, we love CA and will probably continue using it with our residential projects but more and more we seeing the benefits of other software that allow for a multi-user access to a single file.

AFAIK, CA will not be a multi-user system in the way we would really want it to be.  ie:  It will not provide for simultaneous editing of a project by multiple users.  If you can break the project down into separate plan files with a common background plan then it can work - but not with just one plan.

In order for it to work within a single plan file; CA would need to devise a "Locking Scheme" based on users and "Layers" or "Layersets".  The "Save Plan" system would need to be coordinated with that "Locking Scheme".  It's not a trivial programming project so I doubt they are inclined to do it.  Currently I don't know of anything in the Plan Database that identifies different users who have opened a plan file.  That's a critical element in any multi-user system.

Being a user since V8.5 I've pretty much understood the limitations of CA, but improvements have always come along and I guess I've just hoped this issue would be dealt with.  We're now up to 5 draftsman and two designers and it's getting increasingly apparent that a system like archicad might suit us better for this kind of work flow and future growth into commercial.  It's just challenging to think about giving up 12 years worth of experience in one software, I've become somewhat of expert and hate the idea of starting over. 

• 4 years later...

I agree, I have been using CA for 14 years. I have 6 designers on my team and I am currently looking into Revit and ArchiCAD because of this issue. We average 60 plus projects at one time and I don't know how much longer Chief will support our growing staff. Very sad and painfull to consider the process of learning a new platform. It's a lot like getting a divorce! 

2 hours ago, everydayhero said:

I agree, I have been using CA for 14 years. I have 6 designers on my team and I am currently looking into Revit and ArchiCAD because of this issue. We average 60 plus projects at one time and I don't know how much longer Chief will support our growing staff. Very sad and painfull to consider the process of learning a new platform. It's a lot like getting a divorce! 

I have some videos on my youtube about working on the same plan at the same time. It is doable, I've done this with @rgardner before