Need strategy for weird roof plane

Richard_Morrison

I am drawing an existing roof condition that has a small fill-in triangular plane that does not have a predictable slope or baseline angle. I can spend a large amount of time fiddling around with guessing to get close, but before I do -- or use another program -- does anyone have a reasonable way to approach solving this in Chief?

Roof fill in.jpg

Roof Satellite.jpg

Richard,

Probably too late, but I had already started having a look before Michael posted.

I set the plan up so that Chief would do an auto roof.

I had to add the short horizontal wall to get the roof to build like that.

Once the roof is auto generated, the walls could be moved to follow what is actually built.

Regarding the triangular roof section:

You can see the angle of the Baseline (horizontal).

The Baseline height is the same as the other roofs.

Although Michael has already supplied the how to do it manually, this auto way may shed some light and i believe it would be a bit easier.

New Image_95.jpg

New Image_96.jpg

New Image_99.jpg

• Upvote 1

Richard,

I just selected the adjacent vertical wall to the right and moved it left or right with the arrow keys until the roof worked - with auto roof turned on obviously.

Similar thing for the short horizontal wall.

There is something really satisfying about seeing the roof change dynamically as you move the walls incrementally.

Oh, by the way (in case you aren't aware - the arrow keys will move objects by the Snap Grid setting - even if Snap Grid is toggled off.

Is there in fact a short horizontal wall there in the real house? 

• Upvote 1