bulk updating catalogs?

madcowscarnival

I have upgraded to X10 and have the year of SSA.  I would like to update my various libraries since the last time I went through and downloaded them.  Is it possible to have CA automatically download ones that are not already present on my machine, or just download them all?  It take a while going through a seeing if the catalog is new (X10 vers only), selecting download, choosing file etc.  I would like to just download the "whole" thing.  Realizing this will probably be several GB worth.

Also, is it possible to revert the appearance of the tool bars?  To my worn out eyes, they look washed out.

Mark:

that only works for libs that have already been downloaded

it won't download the rest at all

currently each "new" lib has to be selected then downloaded and installed

one by one - a real PITA

we need a bulk downloader

Lew

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Mark:

that only works for libs that have already been downloaded

it won't download the rest at all

currently each "new" lib has to be selected then downloaded and installed

one by one - a real PITA

we need a bulk downloader

Lew

Really? Just the other day it updated a mfg catalog that was brought in during migration I  never downloaded a new version. 

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Really? Just the other day it updated a mfg catalog that was brought in during migration I  never downloaded a new version. 

I think what Lew is saying is that he wants to download every last item Chief has available...consequences be damned.  Do I want it?  Who cares, DOWNLOAD IT!  Do I need it?  Who cares, DOWNLOAD IT!  Do I have room for it?  Who cares, DOWNLOAD IT!  Do I already have (perhaps under a different name even)?    Don’t worry about it, DOWNLOAD IT!  Will it take 12 hours and trigger an overage on my internet usage?  Ummm...screw it, DOWNLOAD IT ANYWAY!!  

I guess if we were given the option that might be okay,  but I don’t know who in their right mind would want that much library bloat. I probably don’t have but 10% or 20% of the available bonus libraries myself and my library is already bordering on unmanageable.   The LAST thing I want is that other 80% of the available libraries that I don’t currently want or need. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Michael:

I use to have numerous private collections of symbols and cad details - count was 30K+

around X4 I had every Chief library downloaded

but with X5 I got tired of trying to keep up

the one-by-one downloads were a real PITA

plus I was retiring - so I dumped my entire library and have been going with the minimum CA installes with each release

I am now in the process of trying to download EVERY X9 library

since we have made the decision to stay with X9 since X10 and future versions won't have a hardware lock

a bulk downloader would be VERY nice to have

Lew

3 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Mark:

If CA adds a new library it is NOT downloaded to Chief

you have to manually download it

try that for every library that you don't have and it becomes a real PITA :(

Lew

You're talking about downloading, not updating. Maybe try a download manager- some of them "might" solve your problem (with scripts-weren't you a programmer once?) Not something I'm interested in as my libraries are already 13GB but good luck to you. Nowadays I often only copy a few things from a Bonus or MFG library to my user, then delete the other library.

Yikes, seems a touchy subject.  Alaskan_son, yep, I simply want them all consequences be damned *as an interjection, I'm nearly a hoarder of all things building/construction related in case I might use it at some point*.  It's just a thing I do.  Bloat, perhaps, it doesn't slow operation of my machine or program, and storage these days is almost limitless (1TB local, 6TB on server and a couple of unused externals).  I actually do very little catalog browsing and typically use the search function.  However, just the other day after I upgraded I was pondering how to show an industrial awning (flat roof with struts back to the wall).  Searched awnings, and hey, turns out one of the countless catalogs had exactly what I was looking for.

If anyone is curious, my fully updated X6 catalog and about half of the X10 only catalogs are 6GB.

Not touchy, just some of us have found that as the library gets bigger it gets slower if you actually need to use it. I believe it has more to do with surface count than it does with total storage.

Only 6Gb? keep working on it ;) The 58 mfg catalogs shown here are a tad over 12 GB including libraries, data and referenced files.

Totals.thumb.png.0e48ba38a2d8078400b6afd3a30d92bb.png

Get Wayfair, all Millwork, and all Fixtures/Appliances and see how search works (I only have a few Millwork and Fixture/Appliance. I deleted Wayfair immediately)

• Upvote 1

MarkMc, thanks.  Maybe the problem is that I haven't experienced slow catalog searches yet; that will quickly impact my desire for more stuff.  I've found that what I thought was a pretty trick build is now borderline on the X10 minimum specs (at least it was hot 5-6 years ago).