Electrical Panel Location ?

I know we can't per ( CRC, IRC } put an Electrical Panel in a Bathroom but what about a Laundry Room?

Is it allowed?

I know I did it in a remodel project about 10 years ago in San Diego but that was when the codes and plan check requirements were much easier.;)

I'm actually going through this right now in North Carolina. Bathrooms and tight areas such as closets or small storage room areas will get turned down here. Laundry rooms are OK if the room is big enough and you can easily access the panel. Meaning you can't put the panel behind the washer and dryer even if they are on the floor and especially if they are stacked on-top of each other. Other then that just the basics of no higher then 6'-7" off the floor, well lite, and min. 3 ft square clear from walls.

To be safe I like to put the panel on the opposite wall as the washer and dryer but as long as you can fully stand in front of the panel it is OK to be on the same or adjacent wall.

• 3 weeks later...

Sec. 110-26 of the National Electrical Code (NEC): 1) at least a 3-ft clearance in front of all electrical equipment; 2) a 30 in.-wide working space in front of equipment operating at 600V or less; and 3) minimum headroom clearance of 6 ft or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater.

1 hour ago, 2wheeltodd said:

Sec. 110-26 of the National Electrical Code (NEC): 1) at least a 3-ft clearance in front of all electrical equipment; 2) a 30 in.-wide working space in front of equipment operating at 600V or less; and 3) minimum headroom clearance of 6 ft or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater.

for reference, from the 2016 CEC, highlighting is from the adoption table and nothing to do with this topic

5afa0453be1a5_PanelClearance1of3.thumb.PNG.8b8d6cc7c6c021c7531dafd2c670f654.PNG5afa0454d6b8f_PanelClearance2of3.thumb.PNG.4e2c72b388990fcb4f58702dfa87102d.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 1:38 PM, 2wheeltodd said:

At least here, it is good to know that the 30" wide space need not be centered on the panel, but the the panel must be within the 30".