Trying to use a dwg

ladycoralie

Yes, but it looks like you did that in the plan view.

Not good.

If you do it in a plan view, it will change the plan Layer Set to the Camera View Set.

That is not what you want.

In plan view, you want the Default set.

In the camera view, you want the Camera View Set.

You need to do it in the camera view with the Camera View Set.

This is really pretty basic stuff that you really need to get your head around.

Let me know if you need some help. 

• Upvote 1

Yes at a glance they look a lot the same.  Makes it difficult to learn for sure.  I very rarely use the Layer Display options.  I think they must have come before Active Layer Display Options, that I almost always have on.

• Upvote 1

Okay, it's not that easy for me. I don 't use Chief everyday and I have some cognitive issues from a past illness going on. I get confused with the all the names and where to find them. I'm trying. So I can now see that I have the terrain perimeter in my 3d view, but there are no contours in the land. It is just flat. I'm thinking that I have to select each of the contour lines and convert them to something else? Am I on the right track?

Cheers and thanks

Yes convert to Elevation Lines and when you do that it will allow you to enter the elevation.  You just need to decide if you are going to use the sea level elevations on the survey or convert them to your floor level.

• Upvote 1

My advice is to use the real world heights as indicated on the survey ie, 447 meters, etc...- it is a real hassle to convert the height values to anything else - and there is no need to.

You can then adjust the terrain height relative to the Chiefs zero floor level by using the Subfloor Height Above Terrain (in the Terrain Specification dbx).

To make it a bit easier, when the Elevation Line Specification opens (after you convert them to Elevation Lines), click on Number Style and then under Number Style, select Meters.

This will allow you to enter the Elevation Line heights as meters instead of millimeters.

Don't forget to change it back to mm when you start working on the house.

• Upvote 1

Set your Subfloor Height Above Terrain to ~ 450m and the camera will be able to find the terrain more easily otherwise it will be ~450m above where the camera is preset to 0,0.   I think the major contour lines are regular 1/2m intervals and your data input on some of the lines I checked is not.   Where the terrain is a little bumpy may be because of conflicting data.  I see a couple of point elevations that you have assigned to nearby elevation lines.  There is an area near the SW corner of the lot with original and filled or maybe cut elevations and you will only be able to use one set of data in that area.  It appears as though there are a few unknown's between 448 and 450.5 but they all seem to rise heading South so the ridges you have may indicate an error.

Do you have a DWG viewer or a pdf of the original file ?

• Upvote 1

The PDF was for you just in case some of the labeled elevation lines over to East side beyond what I sent you in the chief file could be useful in sorting out the contours.  Once you set the sub floor height above terrain to 450 m the camera should automatically center on the terrain, so the only other thing is to make sure the BD_LOTS layer is turned on in camera view.

• Upvote 1

The only other things I could think of would be if the default material was set to something you could not see.  Take a look in Plan Defaults > Materials > Terrain/Property Line.  Or maybe your video card is not quite up to the task....  Switch from Standard Render to Vector View and see if that makes a difference.  Make sure you are not using a saved camera and open a new one and let chief do the setup.  If the terrain is perfectly upside down it will be transparent in Standard view but you will at least see perimeter lines in Vector View.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glennw said:

When you set the Subfloor Height Above Terrain to 450m, are you sure you entered 450m and not 450mm?

Check the Num Style again or make sure you enter the units, ie 450m or 450000mm. 

That was it! So sorry. I'm really crook with a bad chest infection and have been to the doctors 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I just can't concentrate properly at the moment. Thanks Glenn.

Thanks Chopsaw and Glenn for all your help with getting this dwg into a terrain. I'm attaching it so you can see the finished result. I went through the pdf as you suggested Chopsaw and re entered the information and now the block looks a lot closer to how it should be. That is our land. The question I have now is, can I use this terrain as a template to design a house on or is there another way to go about it?

lot 8 terrain perimeter.jpg

That looks great.   Yes you can now design a house on that terrain if you trust that it is accurate enough to do so.  Or if this is for the design you have been working on place that terrain into the existing file.  Clean it all up and just transfer the layers that you need into the new plan and maybe rename the layers so they make sense to you and can be remembered.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

That looks great.   Yes you can now design a house on that terrain if you trust that it is accurate enough to do so.  Or if this is for the design you have been working on place that terrain into the existing file.  Clean it all up and just transfer the layers that you need into the new plan and maybe rename the layers so they make sense to you and can be remembered.

Okay. I tried designing a rectangular house on the terrain but it doesn't meet the ground properly and sinks into the hill. Should I design the house on the next floor up? Also, I'm not sure how to place that terrain into an existing file. I've been looking for a tutorial on it but can't find one. And what should I do to clean it up? I'm sorry I don't understand.

Thanks.

house 1 on terrain.jpg

Well if that is the location you have chosen and the house is rectangular you will likely need to make some terrain adjustments for your final landscaping levels and also make some stepped footings and or a stepped basement level.  To adjust the level that the house sits at you need to go back to the Subfloor Height above Terrain and add 3 or 4 m. So that your basement is a little higher than where you now have the first floor. To move the Terrain just turn off all the imported DWG layers that you will not use in your plan and copy and paste the Terrain Perimeter and all the elevation data into the new plan.  And move the Terrain Perimeter from the BD_LOTS layer to the Terrain Perimeter layer so you will know where to find it later.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Well if that is the location you have chosen and the house is rectangular you will likely need to make some terrain adjustments for your final landscaping levels and also make some stepped footings and or a stepped basement level.  To adjust the level that the house sits at you need to go back to the Subfloor Height above Terrain and add 3 or 4 m. So that your basement is a little higher than where you now have the first floor. To move the Terrain just turn off all the imported DWG layers that you will not use in your plan and copy and paste the Terrain Perimeter and all the elevation data into the new plan.  And move the Terrain Perimeter from the BD_LOTS layer to the Terrain Perimeter layer so you will know where to find it later.

Hi and thanks. I am going to try this tomorrow as my brain is pretty fried right now. I'm on my 3rd course of antibiotics = they are trying a different one - and I'm pretty much exhausted. This will be a new area to discover and another challenge to overcome with my design, I'm up for it, but I need to get my brain back in working order. Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Coralie

18 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Hi Chopsaw. I had a go at turning off the layers and I edited the subfloor of the terrain and copied it to the plan, but something is wrong. I can't see the terrain in full perspective. Can you tell me what is wrong please?

Tamborine_House.plan

Yes it seems there was an issue importing the Terrain Perimeter and I had to close the lot line and recreate it but it looks like you were able to include all all the elevation data correctly.  Also moved it to the Terrain Perimeter layer so it won't get lost and set the Subfloor height to 454 m which looks pretty close at the front of the house but now you have some work to regrade and build a basement.

Tamborine_House_Chopped.plan

• Upvote 1