Walls/Railing Workshop Tuesday, April 24rth at 3:00 PM PST

dshall

I will be hosting a:

Walls/Railing Workshop Tuesday,  April 24rth at 3:00 PM PST

This will be an online meeting.  If you are interested,  please email me.  Do not call me,  do not answer in this thread,  do not text me and do not send smoke signals.  

I think Glenn Woodward might be able to make it and he is The King of railings.  This should be a good workshop.

Please email me at

dscotthallATmacDOTcom

• Upvote 1

Some one just asked me if it will be PST or PDT.  It will be 3:00 California time when my Iphone says 3:00.  

I get it..... sometimes we cannot be clear enough.  

I guess it would be PDT .....  

If I remember,  I will record.  ChopSaw is usually kind enough to record but I think he said something about using up all his download time....  I will try....

yeah,  you better go to the in-law's bday.

Thanks to all that attended and a big thanks to Glenn for presenting and to Steve for the wall  solution I was after.

Here is the vid. 2 hours long,  probably tough to watch,  better to just listen for any highlights,  always better to be there.

• Upvote 4

An alternate for the block wall I came up with toward the end but my mike wasn't working or something. This is a bit easier to control and change.

From left to right sequence -

1. fence-panels, no post, 0 newel width, steps to terrain-
  2. change wall type to CMU -include bottom rail, select some square molding and set height to desired bottom wall height
  3. change texture to block
  4. rotate texture
  5. 5 adjust newel spacing

5ae0a886164d2_Lefttoright.thumb.png.bc0c76bd0821402b26936f560755e155.png

Block doesn't like follow terrain using this though

5ae0a898ee593_Blocksdontliketofollow.thumb.png.c3715a80c0b45530d7a9029808e40b36.png

I found it very interesting that we could not change the FOOTING MATERIAL.  

I suppose somewhere in the defaults it can be changed, but that would CHANGE ALL FOOTINGS.

So  if you wanted 2 DIFFERENT FOOTING MATERIALS for two different walls,  it is not possible.

Scott what would be the purpose that you want to change the footing material since all footings are concrete, except back here if they use superior walls then it is on pee gravel compacted with drain tile around that is the only way you can put them on

23 minutes ago, chief58 said:

Scott what would be the purpose that you want to change the footing material since all footings are concrete, except back here if they use superior walls then it is on pee gravel compacted with drain tile around that is the only way you can put them on

You cited a reason why you would want two materials,.

The reason I wanted to do it yesterday is we were trying to do a work around.....  it was Richard Morrison's idea ....  using the footing as CMU and having it go into the terrain..

15 hours ago, glennw said:

I was having a bit of a play with these types of walls.

You can come up with some interesting combinations.

New Image_89.jpg

New Image_87.jpg

New Image_88.jpg

Who would have thought this is possible , nice Glen. I guess I also need to play around with them.

Nice job Glenn....  are they walls or fences?

I am assuming wall since you have a footing.

I am assuming they do not follow terrain (or not a stepped fence)  (since it it a wall and not a fence)

I am assuming they were all edited in elevation

BTW,  I am really getting into the auto story pole.  I wish we could adjust the height of walls  (particularly retaining and site walls ) in plan view in lieu of editing in elevation.

In this project,  I needed to adjust the top and bottom of wall to a specific height relative to sea level. 

I5ae20969c4439_ScreenShot2018-04-26at10_14_16AM.thumb.png.1cda1b73c0d43c15cea4931fbb7f0419.png   5ae209caebffe_ScreenShot2018-04-26at10_17_49AM.thumb.png.f2aebcd26896e586ca8994b76904f495.png

AND AND AND ,  I wish we could adjust the height of the walls 2 ways

1-   relative to the first floor  (0.0)

2- relative to M.S.L.

• Upvote 1