Upgrade from older version (9.0/9.5)

CENTEXBS

I have win 7 pro and was running CA 9.5/9.0  Experienced crash and cannot reinstall CA 9.5  Decided best time to upgrade.

Want to upgrade from CA 9.5 to most recent version.  Read post stating that new versions such as x10 will not run projects designed with older version.  A  lot of money to spend with a bad result.

ls it really true?

Some posts stated x8 would be the best choice.  Of course CA will not sell you x8.

I wouldn’t worry about that too much.  I’m sure someone with an in between version would be willing to help you bring your plan(s) forward.  How many plans we talking here?  If it’s just a couple, I’m sure myself or someone else would be willing to help for free.  If it’s a whole bunch, I’d be inclined to charge a fee for my time.   

I think you have it wrong.

Newer versions will read older versions (within limits - you would need to confirm how far back X10 will read).

Off the top of my head, I think X10 can read back to V9 - as long as they are .plan files and not .pl files.

Older versions will not read newer versions.

5 minutes ago, glennw said:

I think you have it wrong.

Newer versions will read older versions (within limits - you would need to confirm how far back X10 will read).

Older versions will not read newer versions.

The OP is correct.  X8 was the last version that could open pre-v10 files.    In order to use those files in X10, a person has to first open and save in s pre-X9 version.

Thanks guys. 

I have several hundred projects. Most are completed, but I would like to use as references.

I believe from what Alaskan_Son said, I am leaning toward x8.

Since I can not buy from CA, can someone comment on the downloads offered on YouTube?

Glennw -  They are .pl files.

Edited by CENTEXBS
Inform member

9 minutes ago, CENTEXBS said:

Thanks guys. 

I have several hundred projects. Most are completed, but I would like to use as references.

I believe from what Alaskan_Son said, I am leaning toward x8.

Since I can not buy from CA, can someone comment on the downloads offered on YouTube?

I would really really encourage you to jump to X10.  You don’t want to “upgrade” to an outdated tool.  You’ll be missing out on a lot of valuable new features.

Maybe you can find an X8 version for sale and then just upgrade.  That way you’ll have both.  Anyway, if you can’t find a copy of X8, it wouldn’t take all that long for one of us to move all your projects forward to X10 for you.  I imagine I could do it in under a minute each if you hired me to do them all (or at least a large chunk at a time).  Who knows,  it might even go a lot faster than that. 

30 minutes ago, CENTEXBS said:

Read post stating that new versions such as x10 will not run projects designed with older version.

Michael,

My statement about the OP being incorrect related to this statement, which is generally incorrect, which I went on to qualify

Maybe I will try the free trial of x10, just to satisfy my indecision.  Thanks Alaskan_Son

All my projects are saved on memory sticks, and the plant where my machines(rollformers) are located has the 9.0/9.5 installed and working.

Thanks again.

I would be suspicious of anyone selling X8 on Youtube , try the Offering Forum here on CT instead , there are several people selling X9 and X10 license too , just take care to check the upgrade Price and the transfer fees as you should get a deal or just buy x10 direct , if buying second hand you can check with CA to make sure it is legit and transferable to you too.

If buying x10 direct I would ask Sales if they would convert your Files for you as part of the Sale.....

this price is not really valid anymore since the upgrade now would be $1295 I think.... but you get the idea...

Thanks Kbird1 -

I was not aware of the Offering Forum.  Will check it out and I was suspicious of the YouTube offers.  You helped me decide.  CA offers file conversions? Should at the current price for x10.

Thanks to all again.  I will be better off now by heeding the advice.

X10 will only read plans that were written by version 10 and newer so you will first need to convert your V9.5 plans before you can open them in X10. 

If you have already upgraded to X10, you should contact tech support during normal business hours to see if they can provide you with a solution to convert your older files.  All you really need to do is get something like the X8 Client Viewer (or any other version of Chief from V10 to X8) and you will be able to open these older plans and save them in a format that X10 will be able to read.  If you have not upgraded yet, you should discuss this with our sales team to see what solutions they can provide.

Since your plans are so old, you should expect to have to do some amount of manual cleanup.  We have worked very hard to make sure that when you bring plans forward that they do so with very minimal changes but when you bring plans this old forward you will have to deal with all of the minor changes that have happed over all of the versions you missed.

CentexBS:

try Ebay, older copier of Chief are sold there and most are covered by EBay's buyer guarantee

before purchase verify with CA that it is a valid X4 - X8 license (skip X3 and earlier)

and what the license transfer fee will be  - it can range from $50 for primary license to $400+ for secondary license or student

you can setup a search in Ebay and get an email whenever a new auction starts

Lew

7 hours ago, lbuttery said:

CentexBS:

try Ebay, older copier of Chief are sold there and most are covered by EBay's buyer guarantee

before purchase verify with CA that it is a valid X4 - X8 license (skip X3 and earlier)

and what the license transfer fee will be  - it can range from $50 for primary license to $400+ for secondary license or student

you can setup a search in Ebay and get an email whenever a new auction starts

Lew

I'm selling my secondary and have the transfer paper ready to go. Fee is $900. 

8 hours ago, Dermot said:

All you really need to do is get something like the X8 Client Viewer (or any other version of Chief from V10 to X8) and you will be able to open

Dermot, I am selling a secondary X10 license, been contacted by the OP. I have a copy of the X8 viewer. Can I legitimately also include that with the sale and transfer?

We already have a standalone product that will convert these old plans.  It's called the X8 Client Viewer and it should still be available at little or no cost.

Dermot:

that is great news

I will spread the news as other users run into the issue

Lew

1 hour ago, solver said:

I've suggested that a bulk conversion routine would be helpful. Something that would run without user intervention, opening each older plan and saving in the new format.

Sounds like something that could be done with a macro recorder, windows scripting tool, or Directory Opus script, or some such?

10 hours ago, Dermot said:

Tech support was nice enough to point out that we already have a tech article that explains everything very nicely.  The article also includes a link to the X8 Client Viewer that you can download and use for converting your legacy files.  The tech article is here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00279/opening-legacy-files.html

Thanks for the Heads Up Dermont , good to know as this seems to be something that comes up on the Forums fairly regularly , but it is a bit more complicated that most of us realized I think since the Viewer is a 120mb download.... 

M.