large scale buildings

decorators3

Hi I have Chief Architect Premier X10.  The plan I;m working on is fairly large in scale..4 level apartment building - with main entrance and 2 side angled wings. each WING IS 80' long and entrance is 25' wide.  My question is how do I make this look realistic on my plan,  I am concerned about the rendering outcome... want to ensure that I present the best realist rendering showing siding and stucco detail plus windows, landscaping.. etc.  How do I downscale or what do I need to do to present a professional rendering ( when I'm done )  see attached plan layout 

Thanks

sample drawing.JPG

Here is a Marriott Hotel where I just did a render of a new porte-cocher they were wanting (no construction drawings). They liked it but found they couldn't justify the cost. This ray trace was done many years ago. There are people here who will take your plan and do high end renders for you.

Marriott new colors.jpg

Marriott.jpg

One thing I found for doing marketing grade 3D's with chief is to just do the design in chief and then farm out the final render to a specialized rendering company. I use New Visual 3D in China (http://www.newvisual3d.com/). I found you cannot beat the price performance of doing it this way vs doing it yourself. With the cost of labour in North America, and the cost in time to yourself, plus the cost of specialized lighting or rendering software... it is easier to just export your 3D file and send it to the rendering company. You then do a few draft revisions with them and supply some textures or backgrounds you want. There is the added benefit of the time difference. You submit your draft revisions at the end of the work day, they start their work day roughly when you finish and you have the next draft in your inbox in the morning. I have done several large scale projects this way.

The best part about this method for you designers who subcontract to developers... you can charge North American pricing for the render - I have seen $3k+ per image for medium to large buildings, and it only costs you $350ish US plus your time with the drafts.

Good luck!

5ada457447b5a_OsoFrontRightLowRes.thumb.jpg.c139a5e37f3d1b96bd1c5c89f30d2c5d.jpg5ada45bb482bc_TheEdgeWinterRender.thumb.jpg.df332d9335237d1599cf11bfc8c086d7.jpg5ada45d85e63e_OrionFinalRender-LowRes.thumb.jpg.96d8cb57daf989f0ae31edc2175cc80e.jpg

WhistlerBuilder, I'm curious as to how much of the extraneous modeling you had to provide (like trees, plants, roads, curbs, exterior furniture,  etc). I do my own renderings for clients marketing purposes, and they certainly do gobble up the time.

Hi Robdyck,

It depends on the project. Some of the interior renders I had them do most of the "extra" modelling for small details to make the renders "lived in". For exteriors and large projects they mostly use the plants and landscaping I provide them with chief and imports to chief from sketchup online library - sometimes modified additionally by me in sketchup / photoshop. They also appear to have a large library of 3D objects they maintain for their use. They are also able to add in background images or landscaping touch ups with photoshop after the 3D is done.

I found they are very good at taking items or textures I find in images through google image search and working them into the models.

Attached is a sample draft I send to them. I number each item on the draft image and then send them a numbered work order via email. I find it takes between 3 and 7 drafts, with the average around 5 for a fully polished image.

1st Draft Changes.pdf