Do I need to have multiple different plans for proposed, demo, electricals?

Rytikom25

I have been using chief for a very long time, but I keep learning new things every time.

When I work on a project I create multiple different plans, such as existing, proposed, construction, electrical. They all have their own layout, or I have all these four plans on one page but when I need to make changes to the proposed, I have to repeat on construction and electrical every single time and it is really annoying. My question is can I work only with one layout and have all these plans drawn on one plan, so when I make changes, it automatically updates on construction and electrical? Or does it mess up the layout like for instance if I hide the electricals for the proposed, it also hides on the 'electrical' page of the layout?

In other words is there an easier way to do this?

Not sure I'm following you. Are you creating multiple separate plan drawings of the same building / project for different views? If so, yes, the program is designed to keep everything on a single plan drawing and allow you to control what is displayed. It's very doable but not easy to explain. Many videos and threads on the topic regarding Layer Sets, Annotation Sets, and Saved Plan Views. Good luck!

NO, that is what layers and anno sets are for, so a single plan can be dressed up for different layout pages. The only time you make an additional plan file is for remodeling (as built and Proposed) or in the case where you want to present different variations of the same plan but different roof systems and materials for presentation purposes. With a custom home, commonly you just use one .plan file and its internal layers, layer sets and anno sets.

DJP

could you share one of your set of plans

that would help everyone understand what you are doing

you could zip all plans and layouts in one file to post here

it sounds like you are missing many of the benefits that Chief has to offer

which version of Chief are you using ?

Lew

3 hours ago, Rytikom25 said:

so what happens if I use chief architect as an 'autocad' program. Lots of projects I do, I only use cad lines because I don't do the 3D and I like it better that way. Does the anno sets work there too?

Jeez,  where have you been?

if you are truly interested,  keep abreast of what folks talk about on this forum.

• Upvote 1

You are most certainly not using CA the way it is intended IMO. The program is designed to create a model that contiualy updates as you develope it. The big advantage is that as it evolves and changes all the lines that you have been editing are automatically updated as you go.

(Not to mention the actual model that you have access to- which is the real power of the program.)

Then as David mentioned using different anno and layersets is the key to keeping all layout views organized and associated with one plan.

14 hours ago, Rytikom25 said:

@Chrisb222 yes, creating multiple separate drawings for one project. Can you please direct me to such videos?

If you're interested, email me at the email address below or call me 832-754-6160 and I'll do an online meeting (free) with you and show you an approach to doing your layouts using anno sets and layer sets. As mentioned by David, in most cases, you only need two plans, existing and proposed for each project. BTW, it would be helpful to know what version of Chief you're using in advance...especially if you're using a home version.

Chief Architect for better or worse, is a 3D application only. It contains some 2D objects and tools but its basic purpose is for 3D modeling only. If you do not want or need 3D, then do not use Chief Architect, use AutoCAD, IntelliCAD or TurboCAD etc. Those tools are for 2D and work well in that dimension.

DJP

To add a simple distinction between the informative replies above and your original question the only different plans you will have to create (if you are doing a remodel) is an as-built or existing plan and a proposed plan. Chief does not yet have the ability to combine both existing and proposed plans in one plan file. If your existing plan is done well and complete you can simply 'save as' your new proposed plan and make appropriate changes to your design.

After you create each of these separate plans you can use different Layer and Anno Sets and Plan Views to show all of the different disciplines (electrical; foundation; framing; elevations) - in each single plan.

This is not a simple paradigm to grasp if you are not familiar with Chief but there are many videos and knowledge base articles explaining the power of Chief is this regard. You do not have to use Chief how it was intended to be used but it can be pretty powerful if you do. Do some more research in to how Chief is supposed to work and you will be rewarded.