Break line tool not working

tds_cc

Hey everyone. For some reason my break line tool isn't working. I click on a polygon and hitting 3 doesn't work to break and the break line tool doesn't show up in the my lower tool bar. Has anyone else had this issue?

• Downvote 1

For starters, you need to make sure and use the right terms and clarify EXACTLY what kind of object we're talking about here.  A polygon could mean anything with multiple sides.  Just post a plan with the object in question and you'll have an answer in about 2 minutes. 

Have you read the Reference Manual section addressing the "Break Line Tool" yet? I have observed that in some single instances, the tool does not comply with my wishes but my solution is to just try again until I get the effect I intend. In extreme cases of failure, I just save, close and reopen Chief and the unwanted behavior then ceases. I have found this to be true since Version 4 (circa 1995), it is still true.

DJP

22 hours ago, tds_cc said:

Hey everyone. For some reason my break line tool isn't working. I click on a polygon and hitting 3 doesn't work to break and the break line tool doesn't show up in the my lower tool bar. Has anyone else had this issue?

Not sure what type of Object you mean by Polygon but usually if the Line Break tool doesn't show , then it is not a line based Item , since the Edit Toolbar is sensitive to this and only shows the available options for the Item type selected.

That being said the changes in the Line Break Tool , ie. no double click for complete cut now, I think have made the Tool more difficult to use , and like David I find sometime I have to try and try again sometimes , until it works.

M.

Thanks DavidJPotter and Kbird1. You're responses were helpful, polite, professional and productive. I was trying to break a rectangular polyline which I have done several times in the past but for some reason it wasn't working yesterday. However, when I opened the file again this morning - it worked! Maybe Chief just needed to get a good night's sleep. I also read over the section in the manual per David's advice - lots of good stuff in there. Thanks again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, tds_cc said:

Thanks DavidJPotter and Kbird1. You're responses were helpful, polite, professional and productive.

Not sure how much you care, but just FYI, you're not doing yourself any favors here.  I could be wrong but this seems to be a pretty obvious dig at the responses Rob and I gave you.  If you really want to learn something and if you want to stay in the good graces of some of the most knowledgeable users here, I would strongly suggest you try providing what people request.  The signature Rob suggested can provide us with critical information such as throwing up red flags for known hardware or OS issues, or by clarifying what product you're using and therefore what tools are available.  And if you had answered my response and maybe just posted a little plan, you may have actually learned something.  I can't tell you how many times people say something like "polygon" then it turns out they were using a 3D box, a CAD box, a circle, etc...None of which are actual polylines and none of which will accept a break. 

Anyway, do what you will with that, but you've currently put yourself onto a pretty short list of people whom I won't bother to help since you obviously find no value in my input. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

did you try this tool after selecting the break line tool. The "c" is for cut line.

break tool.PNG

That is the tool I seem to have Issues with the most , not sure why , it seemed to work much better for me before they changed it to that , perhaps I need to go through the Manual again and it's just I am not using it properly now.

M.

25 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

That is the tool I seem to have Issues with the most , not sure why , it seemed to work much better for me before they changed it to that , perhaps I need to go through the Manual again and it's just I am not using it properly now.

M.

The thing about that tool is that you cannot place a break where there is a visible node.  This is one of the reasons for those other toggles...to turn the displayed nodes off in order to place breaks where you want them.  Is this possibly part of your problem?

20 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The thing about that tool is that you cannot place a break where there is a visible node.  This is one of the reasons for those other toggles...to turn the displayed nodes off in order to place breaks where you want them.  Is this possibly part of your problem?

Could well be, I had not considered the Nodes an Issue as such , so I will have to have a play with those and see if that is it......I just want my old complete cut tool back  :)

thanks for the Tip....

M.