X10 point to point dimensions?

tommy1

Has something changed in X10 when using point to point dimensions? In all previous versions, if you draw a dimension line using the point to point dimensions tool, it would ALWAYS place a point where you start the dimension and where you stop the dimension, no matter what. It doesn't do that in X10. If you're close enough to an object it picks that up instead of placing a point. See my image. I drew these dimensions using the point to point tool. I guess I should mention that all snaps are turned off.

Point to point dims.jpg

Edited by tommy1
  • Upvote 1

Okay thanks. So I guess it's really not a "point to point" dimension anymore. There's already been a few times I wished it worked the way it used to. But there's always the workaround. I guess no big deal in a few extra seconds right?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Yes, it was changed in X10. In dimensioning to an object, a point is no longer placed.

I thought this was so also,  however,  I am still getting points....  there may be an option to not use them....

5ad894962ac93_ScreenShot2018-04-19at6_06_38AM.thumb.png.8f19662956b7d21be8be33627960d078.png

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dshall said:

I thought this was so also,  however,  I am still getting points....  there may be an option to not use them....

5ad894962ac93_ScreenShot2018-04-19at6_06_38AM.thumb.png.8f19662956b7d21be8be33627960d078.png

My bad,  if close to something,  a  point is not placed.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very frustrated with this tool now. I have turned all my snapping functions off, but the point to point dimension tool is still snapping to something, even when I type in the exact dimension I want. And I haven't been able to edit it after the fact, I have to delete it and try again.

25 minutes ago, erinmulhern said:

I'm very frustrated with this tool now. I have turned all my snapping functions off, but the point to point dimension tool is still snapping to something, even when I type in the exact dimension I want. And I haven't been able to edit it after the fact, I have to delete it and try again.

Sounds like you may have the Grid Snapping still on , even though you have all the other Snaps Off ....... if the Tape Measure Tool does the same thing , then that is the Issue , if you hold the CTRL Key you can temporarily disable the Snapping Grid till you let CTRL go , you can also toggle it on/off via the Icon on the RH side toolbar or use the hot key CTRL-F9 to toggle it too

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in, especially with the Software Version,
and of course a real Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.
If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum so you need to
Toggle it on in UserName>Account >Signatures...... go to the Upper RH Corner of Forum Window.
M.

Thank you Mick. This is my first time using this forum, I will set up my signature as you suggested. I appreciate your help!

As far as the problem I'm having, I did have my grid snaps turned off. The issue was occurring when I would select the point to point dimension tool, press the tab key to bring up the "Enter Coordinates" window and type in the exact dimension I wanted. I used this in previous versions without any problems. I will fool around with it some more, perhaps there is just something funky in that particular file.

Thanks again!

Erin

I had not (during beta Testing) nor so far, had any trouble using point to point dimension tools at all. The first thing I do when I install a new version is to turn OFF the snap and visual grids, never figured out a useful purpose for those things other than to waste my time.

DJP

18 hours ago, tommy1 said:

Mick, I don't believe it's a snap grid issue. I don't use snap grids and have them turned off on my profile plan but I'll check later this afternoon if the control key helps. Didn't try that.

Sorry Tommy , I should of made it clearer I was replying to Erin , not your OP , I thought you had sorted your issue out with the new P to P Tool Markers in X10?

M.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, tommy1 said:

Has something changed in X10 when using point to point dimensions? In all previous versions, if you draw a dimension line using the point to point dimensions tool, it would ALWAYS place a point where you start the dimension and where you stop the dimension, no matter what. It doesn't do that in X10. If you're close enough to an object it picks that up instead of placing a point. See my image. I drew these dimensions using the point to point tool. I guess I should mention that all snaps are turned off.

Point to point dims.jpg

Draw 4 exterior walls to make a small room. Draw a cad box, use the point to point measure tool, and measure from wall to the box then shorten or lengthen that dimension .... see what a great change this is, the Gods of Chief Architect have  smiled on us.

On 4/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, tommy1 said:

Point to point dims.jpg