I don't understand how Chief determines the "default" CAD Layer

rlackore

I'm confused, and hope someone can help. To set up the discussion, the following example uses an Annoset named Roof Plan 1/4", and a Layerset named Roof Plan.

1. The Annoset is set to use the Roof Plan Layerset:

1.thumb.PNG.da9b10de19f9c51eccc89d19fe8ec073.PNG

2. The Layerset has a CAD, Roof layer defined to hold my CAD linework when working in the Annoset:

2.thumb.PNG.1f9014c882d3f6802d839c85c6951789.PNG

3. The Active Defaults are set to use the Roof Plan 1/4" Annoset, the Roof Plan Layerset, and CAD, Roof as the Current CAD Layer:

3.thumb.PNG.1e5da5ad8481dcd74b98983b0af2d77f.PNG

4. When I draw a new CAD object, it is assigned to the CAD, Roof layer:

4.thumb.PNG.aea1d55d5c2683d4d968d2e344d5a69c.PNG

This is exactly as expected. What I don't understand is why the Line Options>Layer>Default box isn't checked:

5.thumb.PNG.b2af97be592e1b5d7a5ea9f994074507.PNG

And if I check it, the assigned layer is changed to CAD, Default:

6.thumb.PNG.75f9ddd47472a155402a716c53a92f63.PNG

Why wouldn't the default CAD layer be the one that has been assigned by the Annoset, Layerset, and Default Settings? Not only is this confusing, but it's inconvenient as hell. For instance, when working on my Roof Plan, if I want to assign any CAD object to the supposed "default" CAD, Roof layer, I have to scroll through the layer list instead of simply checking the box. The Reference Manual makes brief mention of the CAD, Default layer, but implies that it can be changed using Annosets and Default Settings. Apparently this isn't true. Am I missing something in my set up? Am I just being obtuse? If anyone can shed some light, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm going to make this a Suggestion.

I’d say you’re just looking at it the wrong way.  That checkbox isn’t there to specify that an object be placed onto the layer specified in your Active Defaults.  It’s there to specify that an object be placed onto the default layer for that object type.  If it worked like you’re suggesting, the object would switch layers every time you switched Active Defaults...not good.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It’s there to specify that an object be placed onto the default layer for that object type.

Isn't the default for the Object type (CAD Line Work) in this case CAD, Roof as specified by the Annoset/Layerset ?  I often wonder why the Default Box is not checked in these cases , when I open the DBX or does Default ALWAYS refer to CA's Default ? (whatever it is?) not what we have setup.

M.

53 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Isn't the default for the Object type (CAD Line Work) in this case CAD, Roof as specified by the Annoset/Layerset ?  

No.  It’s not.  If CAD, Roof was the default layer then you wouldn’t need to specify one in your Active Defaults (or Annotation Set) right?  It sounds to me like what you really want is either:

A.  A single click method to move an object to the Current CAD Layer.

or

B.  Multiple defaults for CAD.  

The first one really doesn’t matter that much to me. I am completely on board with the second one though.  We really need multiple defaults for a lot more things.  We also need a way to simply switch the Current___Layer without creating new defaults.   I’m not gonna get into that though because if I do it’s just going to irritate me. 

On 4/18/2018 at 12:41 PM, rlackore said:

5.thumb.PNG.b2af97be592e1b5d7a5ea9f994074507.PNG

To explain a little further, the Layer drop-down list and Default checkbox allow you to specify (change) which layer the object is on. When you drew the CAD box, the program followed your instructions and placed it on your CAD, Roof layer like you wanted, right? The checkbox is not checked because the object is on your CAD, Roof layer, not on the program's default layer for CAD. Checking the Default box moves the object to its default layer, in this case the CAD, Default layer. Alternatively you can select from other available layers to move the object to using the Layer drop-down list, or create another new layer right there using the "Define" button, something I do often as it seems easier to create the new layer this way, when wanting an object to be on a new layer.

CAD Default has been in the program, I know since at least Version 4 when I started, way before anno sets. I would assume it is left over from those woe begone days is all. Now a days, the default CAD layer is relative to the anno set used, in other words that layer is "default" for that Anno Set and the Default CAD Layer can be used or not used in any layer set or anno set.

DJP

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, DavidJPotter said:

CAD Default has been in the program, I know since at least Version 4 when I started, way before anno sets. I would assume it is left over from those woe begone days is all. Now a days, the default CAD layer is relative to the anno set used, in other words that layer is "default" for that Anno Set and the Default CAD Layer can be used or not used in any layer set or anno set.

DJP

EXCEPT FOR CLOUD LINES, THEY ARE ALWAYS ON THE DEFAULT LAYER, WISH WE HAD SOME WAY OF ADDING THEM TO THE ANNO-SETS.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I felt this was somewhat related.  I recently switched from mac to Windows.  When using Chief on mac, when I switched layer sets the active cad layer switched with it.  Now when using Chief on Windows and switching the layer set it doesn't switch the active cad layer with it.  I'm probably missing something but not sure, any ideas.

11 minutes ago, CADD16 said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I felt this was somewhat related.  I recently switched from mac to Windows.  When using Chief on mac, when I switched layer sets the active cad layer switched with it.  Now when using Chief on Windows and switching the layer set it doesn't switch the active cad layer with it.  I'm probably missing something but not sure, any ideas.

Just a guess, but you were probably switching either your Annotation Set or your Plan View before.  Chief doesn't change the Current CAD Layer with Layer Sets...at least it's not designed to.

If I'm working in Plan view set with 1/4 dimension defaults and then switch them to both electrical settings it doesn't switch the cad layer as well.  It does in the mac version.  So I was wondering if I'm missing a setting somewhere.  Because it's annoying to change the layer set, dimension defaults and then have to go change the cad layer as well.

I'm in x10 (need to change that).  I didn't adopt the "Saved Plan Views"  I had always been switching Layer sets.  It probably wasn't the right way but it always seems to work well.  in the mac version when I switch the layer set, the Annotation set /Dimension default would change as well (to the correct set) and the cad default would be selected.  So in windows even if I select an annotation set first, the default cad layer isn't being switched as well.

ok,   So I was just using the new Saved Plan View feature and I can see that its the best way to save views and have everything work the right way.  But after experiencing the switch  from mac to Windows, in my opinion the layer sets, and annotation sets work a little differently in each operating system.  From my experience in the mac version When I switched to a different layer set it would automatically change to the correct annotation set associated with it.  It worked very much like the Saved Plan Views.  Interesting.  It's all good now, just wanted to share what I was experiencing.

39 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Learn to use Anno-sets, that will change your cad layer to whatever you want.

That's the problem I was having.  I do use annotation sets all the time.  I have them set up for all the different disciplines I use.  In windows  when I would switch the annotation set, it would not switch to the default cad layers for that set. 

4 minutes ago, CADD16 said:

ok,   So I was just using the new Saved Plan View feature and I can see that its the best way to save views and have everything work the right way.  But after experiencing the switch  from mac to Windows, in my opinion the layer sets, and annotation sets work a little differently in each operating system.  From my experience in the mac version When I switched to a different layer set it would automatically change to the correct annotation set associated with it.  It worked very much like the Saved Plan Views.  Interesting.  It's all good now, just wanted to share what I was experiencing.

I think you're probably mistaken and I really think you were not changing your layer set.  You were changing your annotation set...which can be set to change your layer set.  I suspect your toolbar in the Mac version just had a different drop down tool assigned to that spot (Active Annotation Set Control vs. Active Layer Set Control).

attached are the images of what I would switch.  I added an image of what pops up when I hover over the drop down menu.  It says Active Layer Set Control.  That's the drop down that I would use to switch between the different disciplines.

Layer sets..PNG

Layer sets2..PNG

Active layer set.PNG