Computer recomendation

bendammeyer

Hello, 

Im trying to upgrade from X8 to X10 and had some trouble with my older video card not being supported. I am running an older microsoft surface 2. Time to upgrade.

My Boss wants to go with a new Microsoft Surface Pro to run X10. I have uploaded the specs. 

Will this computer run X10 well and possibly X11 and X12 when they come out? 

I just want to make sure this computer is a good investment. I do a lot of Chief Architect Drafting and a good deal of other 3D work in sketchup. 

Any recommended desktops for chief? I almost never take my current Surface out of the cradle to use on the go. I think we could save some significant money by going to a desktop. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your help, 
Ben

140414 Surface Pro.pdf

They are nice machines but, the model you have chosen does not have a discrete graphics card and with X10 this could be an issue if you wish to use the new PBR camera feature. Also, the 8th generation Intel CPU's are currently in the market and they do provide improved performance over the 7th gen ones. Given the cost of the Surface Book Pro there are many alternatives out there that would be better performers, more future proof.

I've been ordering from Falcon Northwest since 2013. We have five Talon desktops in the office with two more on the way. Our latest builds are about $2900 apiece and feature Asus Strix Z370-E motherboards; Intel Core I7 8700K processers at 4.7Ghz with 6 physical cores (12 threads); 16gb 2400mhz DDR4 RAM; and GeForce GTX 1080 GPUs with 8gb VRAM; liquid cooling, and lots of big, quiet fans. Falcon offers over-clocking for an additional fee. In five years we've had only one issue: the liquid cooling unit on our oldest box failed - it was a $85.00 replacement part which was fairly easy to swap out. Falcon's customer service has been excellent. Lead times on custom builds with high end graphics cards is several weeks due to the Bitcoin mining craze, but if you're willing to wait Falcon can provide you with an excellent desktop box.

Try Puget Systems.  https://www.pugetsystems.com

I had them build my son a massively powerful machine last September.  

For CAD work I would shoot for the pascal video cards.  

They do more precise calculations for rendering.  

My son's build has the 11GB 1080 Founder's GPU.  

It seriously blows through Ray Trace.

I currently hop between a MBP and older iMac.  

When things need power I "rent" time on my son's machine. ;)

Wil's_Machine.pdf

On 4/16/2018 at 9:26 AM, bendammeyer said:

Will this computer run X10 well and possibly X11 and X12 when they come out? 

I'd say no. My "toy" Hp Spectre (less than half the price with better CPU) manages X10 but sluggish compared to how it handles X9.

I've used laptops exclusively for a decade now and posted enough on them elsewhere in the forum.