Have you fully or partially made the switch to PBR?

DanDearborn

What are people using for rendering at this point, ray tracing, PBR or some combination of both? Are you keeping a copy of a previous version or relying solely on X10? I realize that this general topic has been discussed several times already. I recall reading a comment from KBird1 that "most people have switched to PBR".  I don't get the sense that most people have dropped ray tracing and fully embraced PBR, perhaps I am mistaken. I am wondering how many people have actually fully implemented PBR given the number of kinks that remain to be worked out with it, and given that X10's implementation of PBR and the changes to the materials catalogs tend to cannibalize ray tracing. I haven't downloaded X10 from my locker yet and remain on X9.  Obviously, at some point soon I will implement X10.

2 hours ago, DanDearborn said:

recall reading a comment from KBird1 that "most people have switched to PBR". 

At a guess I said that back when Ray Tracing in X10 had many issues with the New Materials made for PBR not working well in Ray trace eg no reflections etc , there are still some Issues , and like Graham I have not done many RT's lately as in most circumstances PBR is enough and I've found the lighting in PBR easier to work with , even though it is not Perfect yet . I am far from an expert on either Method honestly , on those matters I humbly defer to Graham. (TheKitchenAbode)

I would say download the X10 Upgrade ( save a copy of the last X9 installer 1st) and run both side by side and do some tests of the same plan file in both ( make a "Save As_x10 version file 1st ) and have a play when you have time , the "kinks" in X10 Materials are slowly working there way out as they slowly update all the Core Libraries , though I think there are still issues with the Sun Intensity and Lumen settings , as well as colour "transfer" from backgrounds and other items in the view in PBR.

Mick.

For client preliminary plans I'm using more PBR now and never really used ray-tracing b/c it was too slow, except for the crappy ones under a few minutes. They actually were ok for what I needed. Now with PBR, it's almost instant and updates automatically. For full working drawings , no renderings but maybe a couple PBR's if they print it in color. although grayscale is good for printing PBR's

13 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

though I think there are still issues with the Sun Intensity and Lumen settings , as well as colour "transfer" from backgrounds and other items in the view in PBR.

Mick.

What I seem to be finding is that to get the best out of PBR'ing you need to disregard Ray Tracing. Trying to create a scene that looks good in PBR and at the same settings will also Ray Trace properly is very challenging and you will likely run into issues where a positive setting in one will result in a negative effect on the other. Seems to be best to make a hard choice, it's one or the other.

The main issue seems to be related to light and sun intensities, for Ray Tracing these need to be at certain minimum levels, otherwise your lights and especially the direct sun will not show. However, in PBR'ing it seems to be more about the ratio of the intensities that's most important. If the sun intensity is too high then it will introduce a color cast from the exterior and blow out the exterior backdrop, just reduce the sun intensity and then adjust the interior lights accordingly.

This sample PBR has the sun intensity at 25 Lux, the recessed ceiling lights are at 50 lumens, the under-counter lights are at 1 Lumen and the pendants are at 3 lumens.

5ad4b9f6bae3f_Test_LowLighting1b_1200.thumb.jpg.f88bd81350b8f8deea0b7429eaad78e0.jpg

The Dusk Overlook backdrop seems in line as does the direct sun being cast onto the floor through the patio door glazing. Color is good and the other interior lights seem proper. If I sent this as is to Ray Trace it would not come out very well as my low light settings would be below Ray Traces minimum threshold.