How can I achieve this?

rispgiu

I looked at several tutorials but none that I could find explained on how to get a similar result to the attached image. 

I was able to create the plot and display the polyline of the house but I am trying to display the "outline" of the walls and some other additional details visible in this image, driveway, concrete and some annotations. 

Any suggestions? 

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 10.45.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 10.50.41 PM.png

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Did you draw your plot in Plan View or a Cad detail ?   Cad detail is just cad, but in plan view you can use all the terrain features and the floorplan that you have already drawn.

I followed the several tutorials and I used the cad tool. Is there a better/different way of doing it? 

First time doing this :)

Yes there are two schools of thought on this topic and it seems like about a 60/40 split but I am not sure which way it leans.

Really just depends on your needs.  Nice to have it live and also sometimes beneficial to show terrain features in combination with some cad.

• Upvote 1

Are you drawing an actual building plan and Then creating a site plan off of it?

Would recommend having a live plan as Chop mentions and then using cad detail as the site plan. Plan footprint is then located at the desired location on the site and details and notes added.

• Like 1

CAD>Plan Footprint then select the Plan Footprint in the CAD detail, check "Display Footprint Polyline", and then give that polyline a solid fill.  You can also try unchecking Display Plan Details to see if that works better for you.  It really depends on what all you need to display.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RL-inc said:

Use plan footprint tool to create the building outline in your cad detail.

Then add cad as required for other components.

so basically I need to treat this as a different process than the house plan?

8 hours ago, RL-inc said:

Are you drawing an actual building plan and Then creating a site plan off of it?

Would recommend having a live plan as Chop mentions and then using cad detail as the site plan. Plan footprint is then located at the desired location on the site and details and notes added.

That is correct. 

8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

CAD>Plan Footprint then select the Plan Footprint in the CAD detail, check "Display Footprint Polyline", and then give that polyline a solid fill.  You can also try unchecking Display Plan Details to see if that works better for you.  It really depends on what all you need to display.

Thank you, that is pretty much how I did it but is there a way to control the displayed layers?

2 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

Thank you, that is pretty much how I did it but is there a way to control the displayed layers?

There is the 60/40 split.  I am in the camp that keeps it live and I do not use the CAD DETAIL/DISPLAY FOOTPRINT method.

I keep it live and by using layers and ref sets,  it works for me.  I went to a UGM years ago and this subject came up and there was a reason (that now escapes me) for using the live method vs cad detail method.  

I was close to using the cad method,  but I had to give something up...  I wished I remembered what it was.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dshall said:

There is the 60/40 split.  I am in the camp that keeps it live and I do not use the CAD DETAIL/DISPLAY FOOTPRINT method.

I keep it live and by using layers and ref sets,  it works for me.  I went to a UGM years ago and this subject came up and there was a reason (that now escapes me) for using the live method vs cad detail method.  

I was close to using the cad method,  but I had to give something up...  I wished I remembered what it was.

Thank you for your post, when you guys say live you mean?

Aside from the couple of videos on chief’s sites, do you have any recommendations on where I could find more info?

I know I am showing my ignorance but if I don’t ask I wont learn :)

I believe Scott is referring to using the live plan view that he is creating the actual model in.

Meaning the view he is drawing the walls,floors,roofs in

Them he adds the terrain and that becomes the basis for his site plan.

The other method is the cad detail we have discussed with the plan footprint.

Either way layer sets can be used to display the desired information. 

Try YouTube for additional videos

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

I believe Scott is referring to using the live plan view that he is creating the actual model in.

Meaning the view he is drawing the walls,floors,roofs in

Them he adds the terrain and that becomes the basis for his site plan.

The other method is the cad detail we have discussed with the plan footprint.

Either way layer sets can be used to display the desired information. 

Try YouTube for additional videos

Ok that was what I had thought. 

When I tried to do it live, I found it very difficult to move the house in the correct location, any suggestions?

37 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

Ok that was what I had thought. 

When I tried to do it live, I found it very difficult to move the house in the correct location, any suggestions?

I have an anno set called MOVE P.L.  All layers are locked except for the street,  property lines,  setbacks etc.  I then select all and move to correct relation to the house.

Never move house,  always move property line.  I do it all the time.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, dshall said:

I have an anno set called MOVE P.L.  All layers are locked except for the street,  property lines,  setbacks etc.  I then select all and move to correct relation to the house.

Thank you, I’ll give it a try. 

1 hour ago, dshall said:

I'm not sure, I wasn't at the UGM, but this has come up multiple times over the years, and I'm pretty sure I recall your reasoning had something to do with not easily being able to measure to the roof overhang areas?

32 minutes ago, dshall said:

By adopting this method, how would i go about setting coordinates?

Plan Footprints are really just as "live" as plan views are.  You may have some minor issues with updates though and if you run into any problems the easiest solution is to close the footprint detail and then open it back up.  Please note that I am not talking about using CAD Detail From View which is just a snapshot and will not update if you change your plan.  You also have full control over everything that displays in the cad detail and can make it look exactly like a normal plan view if you like.

I think it really comes down to whether or not you want to display your walls in your plot plan or if you want to just display the outline of the house.  If you want to display just the outline, I think it is generally easier to use the Plan Footprint.  You can also create an outline of your house using a room polyline but this polyline will not be "live" and you will have to modify it anytime you change any of your exterior walls.  There are some other minor differences as well but mostly these come down to how you want to manage your different views. 

Another thing that may affect whether or not you want to use a Plan Footprint is if you have a multi-floor building with different shaped footprints on each floor.  In this case, it might be easier to use an exterior room polyline for each and then merge them together instead of using the Plan Footprint since they can only be linked to a single floor.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Another thing that may affect whether or not you want to use a Plan Footprint is if you have a multi-floor building with different shaped footprints on each floor.  In this case, it might be easier to use an exterior room polyline for each and then merge them together instead of using the Plan Footprint since they can only be linked to a single floor.

This isn't totally true because we CAN create multiple Plan Footprints in a single CAD Detail using a many floors as we wish and can control whether or not we display Plan Details for those on a floor by floor basis...

5ace2d9abfe28_PlanFootrpints.thumb.jpg.9f5dae31f690c30c93613e0da853dcd3.jpg5ace2d9a2d4eb_PlanFootrpints2.thumb.jpg.6bbb8d0010d436ec05e5c112c5b0b7fb.jpg

3 hours ago, dshall said:

Yes keep it live , because we all have changes down the road, and using cad means you will have to re-do all that cad work.

IMO I think the simplest way to get what most building departments are looking for is the plan footprint method. the footprint updates well enough to keep it live during revisions and the cad work for the site plan components is easily accomplished with lines and polylines.( fill added needed.)

41 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This isn't totally true because we CAN create multiple Plan Footprints in a single CAD Detail using a many floors as we wish and can control whether or not we display Plan Details for those on a floor by floor basis...

5ace2d9abfe28_PlanFootrpints.thumb.jpg.9f5dae31f690c30c93613e0da853dcd3.jpg5ace2d9a2d4eb_PlanFootrpints2.thumb.jpg.6bbb8d0010d436ec05e5c112c5b0b7fb.jpg

Michael- are you meaning create 2 plan foot prints in the same cad detail and overlay them?