High Resolution Rendering

hrdorlando

4 minutes ago, KirkClemons said:

Tech support is not equipped to teach users concepts such as image resolution in one phone call. However, this guy does a good job of doing it in 2mins.

Hopefully, this helps clarify what you are doing when you adjust the DPI.

Nice demonstration. He should have mentioned near the end when he used Photoshop to increase the number of pixels that the added pixels are extrapolated and as such the pic will loose some of it's crispness, overdone and the pic will look overly soft especially when viewed up close. This may not be a problem for something like a trade show backdrop or banner as the viewer may be 8 or 10 feet away.

That's true, he didn't really point out that the image was losing perceived 'quality' as he increased the number of pixels. I like to call it the 'lego' effect. It's like you're taking several blocks of the same color and adding them together to make the image bigger.

Just now, KirkClemons said:

That's true, he didn't really point out that the image was losing perceived 'quality' as he increased the number of pixels. I like to call it the 'lego' effect. It's like you're taking several blocks of the same color and adding them together to make the image bigger.

Absolutely, it's done all the time for large posters, banners, billboards and more, no camera can shoot a pic at those physical sizes in high DPI such as 600. Some of that lose in clarity can be recovered/simulated through creative sharpening and other Photoshop techniques.

Thank you to all that have posted ideas and options.  I will continue work through it in an effort to achieve the best possible file for the graphics company to print.  In the end, the better the image looks the better it reflects on our company and Chief Architect. 

Just now, hrdorlando said:

Thank you to all that have posted ideas and options.  I will continue work through it in an effort to achieve the best possible file for the graphics company to print.  In the end, the better the image looks the better it reflects on our company and Chief Architect. 

Just curious, at what pix size are you running the Ray Trace. If at 18,000 wide I think that's going to take a very long time, maybe days.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread yet, but, my favorite way to work around the image export feature in a Floor Plan view specifically, is to send the view to a layout sheet that is set to the sheet size that is needed. Then, I use the scale settings to scale the floor plan view to fit the sheet.

This ensures that you can save as PDF at the print resolution and keep all the quality of the floor plan view.

For ray traces and other camera views, I like to use a tool like this to calculate the actual pixel sizes that I need to print at a specified sheet size and resolution:

http://www.papersizes.org/a-sizes-in-pixels.htm

12 minutes ago, Electromen said:

There's been some very good advice given here.  I don't want to come off as a know it all, I prefer to remain humble.

If I were creating the Ray Trace, I would choose;  Height = 4500 pixels, Resolution = 150 PPI and jpeg... 4500 pixels / 30" = 150 PPI

Anything above that is going to take too long to render.

At 150 PPI or DPI to keep it simple, is the minimum most printers require.  360 PPI is the optimum. 

The highest quality I've sent to a printer is 360 PPI, that includes wedding albums.  

I sell large prints at a Gallery in Pittsburgh.  I sell them to the gallery, they resell them.  They're a gallery wrap which is canvas on a wooden frame.

The Pano posted here is web quality.  The actual print file is 360 PPI.  The print is 20"x72"  The file is 360 PPI or 7,200 pixels x 25,920 pixels and 95MB.

I've sold 63 of these. Standing inches away you can not see pixels, it's photographic quality.

Standing 6 feet away from an image, 150 PPI is very good.

Pittsburgh Fireworks for web site.jpg

What lens were you using here?

36 minutes ago, Electromen said:

Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 ED

First, I took eight photographs to create the panorama, then later that night I shot the fireworks.

I superimposed the fireworks on top of the pano.

I posted this just to show that anything over 360PPi is overkill.

VERY NICE...I literally just emailed a guy about a 24-120 f4 VR that's why i asked