I Can't Match The Ceiling Paint Color With The Walls

lolo123

Without a little more information, most responses will be guesses... so here is my guess.

My first guess is that in the 3D preferences dialogbox, under lighting options, that the 'brighten checkbox' is checked. This will make the ceiling lighter than the walls.  

Another guess is that for the material, in the define material dialog box, the 'shading contrast' value is effecting your view more than you prefer. The shading contrast value effects how the color looks when viewed from different angles in vector views. You might try adjusting this value [warning disclaimer - I have personally never needed to adjust these values from the CA preset values]. That said, if you created your own material, this might be a place to look.

If you could post an image of your problem, or better yet, the plan, that would be a great help.

Lolo, I still think my first guess was correct, I just misunderstood your problem. From the image, I think you have the 'brighten ceilings box' unchecked in your 3D preferenced dbx.  See the two images I have attached, one with the box checked, one with the box unchecked - this setting can make a significant difference in your view.

post-177-0-27394000-1407651609_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-15635200-1407651642_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is the one, which obviously is already checked...

My next guess is lighting and viewing angle - I believe that if you say that you have the same color on the ceiling as on the walls, that this is a fact. What is left is how CA displays the colors. Notice that your walls are not all the same color, they vary within the room AND with the amount of light reflected off of them. I suspect that if you had a bright light pointing at the ceiling that it would be much closer to the color of the walls.

You may need to wait until tomorrow when more USA users are awake and can answer your question. 

I rarely rely on render views when evaluating colors - I find that the ray traces from CA are much more consistent with 'real life' so I have not paid much attention to issues like yours because I always evaluate lighting issues using ray traces. Sorry I am not more help at this point in time.

I would also consider trying to up your 3D setting for interior ambient ... 33% is a bit on the low side.  You should experiment by increasing this value to see if you can get to an acceptable appearance for your camera views.  Another trick sometimes used by some folks is to make the ceiling material a bit emissive (like it is emitting light ... it will brighten your camera views up).

To answer your question, are your wall colors (R/G/B settings) exactly the same as the ceiling color settings?  If not, you can mess with lighting, etc. and you'll never get them to match.  I suspect yours are the same, BUT, if not .... you need to edit them to be the same material.