Macros

bernie

Sherry,

I'm currently only able to keep them organized alphabetically.  I have a standard series that I have in my Default Plan Template and my Default Layout Template but that is a pretty large list and it tends to more than fill the screen when I go to select a macro.

I've made a suggestion on the "Suggestions Forum" https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4581-text-macro-management-organization/#entry39741 for a Browser with Tree Structure (Folders and Sub Folders).  I have also sent that to "suggestions@chiedfarchitect.com".  It would be a good idea if everyone would send the same suggestion.  In order for it to be high on the priority list they need a lot of requests.

Yes, I definitely agree. The data base I am using has some basic predefined folders and then you can add your own just as in the user library. They are then alphabetical in each folder but much easier to find. I will also send in a suggestion as I know how well this works.

spot on sherry - callout database for my text note system is what I am alluding to using ruby and macros for :)

say something, say it once, replicate it over all your pages.

if need to change it, change it once.

no mistakes.

less liability. :)

While it's true that using the Text Macros the way Perry does to save typing the note over and over is effective, it would be much more effective if we could access the actual Roof Finish Layers, Wall Finish Layers, etc directly from the Plan database via Ruby attributes.

Here's an example of how this could work:

Chief knows the make up of the Layers of a Wall.  If that information was available as Ruby attributes for walls, we could write a macro to create a note specifying exactly that information (down to the main layer) and have that displayed as a Wall Label in the Elevation View or in Sections, Wall Details, etc.  The Label would be consistent with the model rather than being just something we type. 

This is really the only way to be sure the Label is what is in the model rather than something else.  It would avoid errors and also provide feedback to the user about what his Wall, Roof, etc was made of.

and later on in X8 would like callouts linked to each text object (macro behind it) with a unique number.

i.e. place the text (a macro), chief will give that text (macro behind it) a callout label (number), the callout lable we can define type / style turned on/off etc.

ability is all there now, just needs linking up in code.

and later on in X8 would like callouts linked to each text object (macro behind it) with a unique number.

i.e. place the text (a macro), chief will give that text (macro behind it) a callout label (number), the callout lable we can define type / style turned on/off etc.

ability is all there now, just needs linking up in code.

This is partially available right now using Custom Schedule Columns and the Components List which can use a macro to get the data.  The Callout comes from the schedule and the data from the object comes from the macro in that field of the Component List.  But the use of this is currently not set up to provide variation within the macro as much as we need.

Bernie,

For your Note system you might want to check https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4186-the-plan-note-key-schedule-from-a-plant-schedule-video/ as it provides a pretty neat way to do it.  It's even possible with a Custom Column in the Schedule to use macros for the notes.  Or you can put macros directly into the Label of the object - which means you can customize according to Chief's knowledge of an object.

Obviously, those capabilities exist for any object that's included in a Schedule.

I've been experimenting and I am able to do a "Word Wrapped" note system using Ruby.

The problem that I have at this time is that I'm wrapping at the first space after a set number of characters.  That works fairly well for a fixed font such as Courier but it doesn't for work as well for proportional fonts.

I will need to figure out a width factor for different characters so that the width of the lines is more consistent.  OTOH, maybe it's not that bad even with the proportional font.

post-47-0-15363400-1427828649_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-37386000-1427828665_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I use a lot of macro's every chance I get. Text macro's are very easy to create, and we all know we hate typing the same thing over and over again. You just type or copy any text into create Ruby box. this is the simplest form of a macro.

I do have lot of others thanks to the fine people here.

here is a simple text macro

http://screencast.com/t/KV6kdcftHJ

is there a way to export/reuse the txt created across multiple plan??

i made tons of these simple text macro in one plan.  

just use that plan as Template Plan? or can you Export/Import macro plan to plan??

is there a way to export/reuse the txt created across multiple plan??

i made tons of these simple text macro in one plan.  

just use that plan as Template Plan? or can you Export/Import macro plan to plan??

Export the macros and then open your Default Template Plan.  Import those macros and save the template Plan.  Now you have them in all your new Plans using that Template.

Will Ruby create a simple division macro? For example I have different occupancy groups that have different occ. loads for each group. Let's say B Occ. and it has an occ. load of 1 person for every 15 SF. Example: a 750 SF room would have an occ. load of 50 people. Can Ruby create a simple division macro that looks like %room.area.standard%/50= 

Larry,

It can be done - but not exactly that way.  It would be a new macro that looks something like this:

result = owner.standard_area/50

You would name this macro occupant_15

Then in the Room Label (or a Text Box placed in the room) you would add %occupant_15%

But I would be more inclined to do it this way:

result = (owner.standard_area/15).to_i

Then add to the Room Label (or a Text Box placed in the room):

Maximum Occupant Load = %occupant_15%

so the resulting display would be:

Maximum Occupant Load = 50

Larry:

You seem really curious about Macros in Chief, but lack a fundamental understanding of their "limited" usage in Chief? Its really not complicated, but without the basics, it's cumbersome and confusing to understand.

Rather than continue to struggle, And waste time with things that aren't possible and not likely in Chief, I suggest a 1-2 hr basic review of Ruby in Chief.

If you like, I'd set up a "go-to-meeting" session to cover the basics -- might save you you much future wasted time in understanding what you can and can't do with macros in Chief.

If interested, email me through Chief's message system with your e-mail and a proposed time and I'll set it up as a one time freebee.

And, of course, any one else interested? If not, you should at least review the SSA videos as a starting point. Just search on Ruby or Macros.

Thanks Gerry. Can't believe I might be heading down that rabbit hole but am indeed curious about some pretty simple functions and of course what is and in isn't doable in Chief. I think the macros are not that hard to grasp and have been using them for many things. It's the Ruby thing and perhaps adding a calc or 2 to the macros that has me interested. I'll explore a little more and see what other question might arise and set something u if it works for both of us.

Perry/Joe: How do you sort that large a number of macro notes so you can quickly find them? Is it easier than putting them in a user "note" library?

This sounds very similar to the callout database I am currently working with but I thought the library was the easiest method until I saw Perry's video.

Use Special characters and letters to force a useful categorization?

Hello Gerry,

If you are going to do an online meeting as a Ruby primer I would love to be included in the meeting. I am just a novice (or pre novice) and would like to get an idea for a starting point. My programming in the past has been done through a lot of cut and paste when I was working on MEL scripting code using Alias MAYA. MEL is their unique code that is mostly C++ based.

Thanks

Alan