New Update JPEG Export Issue

bjackson3

2 hours ago, bjackson3 said:

After latest update whenever i try and export a PBR to a  JPEG i get a black image.  Tried old and new plans.  Any advice?

I have noticed the same thing. Saving a PBR in PNG format does not seem to function and saving a JPEG in a resolution higher than it's window size results in a black image. No idea what's going on. There are times when I can't avoid wondering what level of testing is done when changes are made to ensure there are no negative consequences, especially when they seem to be so obvious.

Another one seems to be that the "Update Lights" check box in the Adjust Lights DBX does not retain it's setting. It is always unchecked when opened even if I have checked it before closing it. It stayed checked prior to this update.

PBR white outs also still occur, took me about 5 seconds to get it to occur even though they stated it had been fixed. If this is a fact of PBR'ing then it should be least explained as to what causes this so we can avoid the situation as best as possible.

5 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I have noticed the same thing. Saving a PBR in PNG format does not seem to function and saving a JPEG in a resolution higher than it's window size results in a black image. No idea what's going on. There are times when I can't avoid wondering what level of testing is done when changes are made to ensure there are no negative consequences, especially when they seem to be so obvious.

Another one seems to be that the "Update Lights" check box in the Adjust Lights DBX does not retain it's setting. It is always unchecked when opened even if I have checked it before closing it. It stayed checked prior to this update.

PBR white outs also still occur, took me about 5 seconds to get it to occur even though they stated it had been fixed. If this is a fact of PBR'ing then it should be least explained as to what causes this so we can avoid the situation as best as possible.

I am seeing the exact same as you Graham , CV2702 (Marc?) has the same Nvidia Chip (1070ti) as me so perhaps it is a Nvidia Driver issue , I am on 391.24 currently.

Same with the Update lights check box too......

Actually PBR PNG works but is whited out , only the Mirror shows and the glass slightly , both at Active and Monitor exports sizes except the monitor size file is 1/4 the size of the Active window size file for some reason. It is the same Issue with TIF files too.

5ac92259b73c2_ExamplePBRRender_Activesize.thumb.png.48bdb48218d15036c60c168552977e66.png

at my monitor jpeg size (2560)

5ac9219b4d199_ExamplePBRRender_MonitorSize.thumb.jpg.1f2f038abbc795057859c91a51e9124a.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I am seeing the exact same as you Graham , CV2702 (Marc?) has the same Nvidia Chip (1070ti) as me so perhaps it is a Nvidia Driver issue , I am on 391.24 currently.

Same with the Update lights check box too......

Actually PBR PNG works but is whited out , only the Mirror shows and the glass slightly , both at Active and Monitor exports sizes except the monitor size file is 1/4 the size of the Active window size file for some reason. It is the same Issue with TIF files too.

5ac92259b73c2_ExamplePBRRender_Activesize.thumb.png.48bdb48218d15036c60c168552977e66.png

at my monitor jpeg size (2560)

5ac9219b4d199_ExamplePBRRender_MonitorSize.thumb.jpg.1f2f038abbc795057859c91a51e9124a.jpg

My driver is 23.21.13.9101 2/23/2018. Not the latest but the issue was not present in the previous CA version. Suspect it's related to something they changed and likely another example of incomplete testing prior to release. I know it's impossible to catch everything, but it's not like exporting a render is some obscure rarely used function, especially JPEG or PNG. Same goes for the Check Box, it's right in your face every time you open the adjust light DBX, I noticed it the first time it opened in the updated version.

While complaining, not sure if this happens on your system, but the PBR Icon, in fact all of the camera type Icons, in the camera view drop down menu do not stick. After I close the PBR DBX it changes to the technique options icon. Has done this since the beta version, certainly never noticed this before.

So you are talking about your Spectre with Intel Drivers then? not the 1060 on Nvidia Drivers  ? I actually haven't installed the new Update on my Laptop yet to test Intel Drivers.

I thought I had noticed the Camera Drop down thing myself but not today....maybe that was on my Laptop though?

M.

15 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I know it's impossible to catch everything, but it's not like exporting a render is some obscure rarely used function, especially JPEG or PNG.

This is definitely subjective.  I have personally exported untold hundreds, nay...thousands of renders and I don't specifically recall having exported a 3D view as a PNG except maybe a couple times in experimentation.  Similarly, I don't recall having ever exported at a size other than my screen size except MAYBE in a rare experiment and even then...probably only with Ray Traces.  

Anywho, I agree that a lot of bugs seem to get missed and that they need to get addressed, but I definitely think this one is understandable.  I don't know that I would have EVER caught it had it not be brought up.  This is why it is of paramount importance that people report these things when they run into them...even if you know somebody else already has.  It doesn't matter how much time and energy we spend discussing the issues here in the forum.  If Chief has 10 people report that their trusses are misbehaving and 1 person reports that their 3D view exported as a PNG isn't working, which one do you think is gonna get fixed?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

So you are talking about your Spectre with Intel Drivers then? not the 1060 on Nvidia Drivers  ? I actually haven't installed the new Update on my Laptop yet to test Intel Drivers.

I thought I had noticed the Camera Drop down thing myself but not today....maybe that was on my Laptop though?

M.

That's my GTX 1060 Driver. I have not loaded up the newest CA version on my Spectra 360 yet.

21 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

That's my GTX 1060 Driver. I have not loaded up the newest CA version on my Spectra 360 yet.

Okay I see it now ... it is 391.01 , Nvidia usually uses the last 5 digits as seen in the NV Control Panel.

there have been 3-4 drivers since 391.01 ( .05 .24 .35 plus hot fixes )

it is not uncommon for the 1st Driver in a Series (391) to be not the Best but you seem to have same issues as me

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/131974

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/132845

4.thumb.JPG.1399041fe70ad42ea186501ec447a41b.JPG

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This is definitely subjective.  I have personally exported untold hundreds, nay...thousands of renders and I don't specifically recall having exported a 3D view as a PNG except maybe a couple times in experimentation.  Similarly, I don't recall having ever exported at a size other than my screen size except MAYBE in a rare experiment and even then...probably only with Ray Traces.  

Anywho, I agree that a lot of bugs seem to get missed and that they need to get addressed, but I definitely think this one is understandable.  I don't know that I would have EVER caught it had it not be brought up.  This is why it is of paramount importance that people report these things when they run into them...even if you know somebody else already has.  It doesn't matter how much time and energy we spend discussing the issues here in the forum.  If Chief has 10 people report that their trusses are misbehaving and 1 person reports that their 3D view exported as a PNG isn't working, which one do you think is gonna get fixed?

Exporting the image is the only way you can save a PBR camera scene. When Ray Tracing I used the PNG format as the JPEG export was not as clean. I also normally export at my standard screen size but there are times when this is not high enough when doing Photoshop work where I need greater resolution(more data) to manipulate.

I understand that CA can't just jump every time I or someone else encounters an issue. But these things were working correctly before, and now since the update they seem to be non functional. Just seems to me that they are rushing a bit too much and not running enough debugging simulations before putting this into our hands. It's not really the best approach to rely on it's user base as a testing ground, that's not what I pay them for, unless maybe CA would be willing to pay out for each bug we find.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Okay I see it now ... it is 391.01 , Nvidia usually uses the last 5 digits as seen in the NV Control Panel. there have been 3-4 drivers since 391.01 ( .05 .24 .35 )

it is not uncommon for the 1stDriver in a Series (391) to be not the Best but you seem to have same issues as me

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/131974

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/132845

4.thumb.JPG.1399041fe70ad42ea186501ec447a41b.JPG

Yes, I pulled it from Device Manager and also checked under Preferences, Video Card to make sure it was the same. This is the same driver I was using before the CA update, so the only thing that I can tell has changed is CA.

Just now, TheKitchenAbode said:

Yes, I pulled it from Device Manager and also checked under Preferences, Video Card to make sure it was the same. This is the same driver I was using before the CA update, so the only thing that I can tell has changed is CA.

I guess you have drivers off in Windows Update then ? I am surprised they haven't forced an update to the latest WHQL Drivers otherwise ( 391.35 )

M.

Just now, Kbird1 said:

I guess you have drivers off in Windows Update then ? I am surprised they haven't forced an update to the latest WHQL Drivers otherwise ( 391.35 )

M.

I have the notification but now I usually wait a while before updating just in case the new version ends up being buggy. Went through that on my Spectra 360 Intel 620 driver, wasted a lot of time restoring the old driver as the new one wiped out the roll-back option.

That's why I usually have Drivers off in Windows Update , but I also don't install Geforce Experience or the 3D Control stuff since I use neither and don't want their auto driver updates either , as I am not an early adopter unless I have an issue I am hoping to be solved.  Tried .35 and went back to .24 as my Blanking out issue is Worse on them with the new Card. Now waiting for new DP cables to come from Startech to see if that is the Real issue ...as EVGA now Claim.

M.

To whoever was so kind to give me a negative on my last posting herein. Please consider that what I'm saying is not baseless. There are many examples where companies have failed or severely damaged their market position through complacency and failing to address product deficiencies. This is a highly competitive market and with the likes of software the tables can turn in very short notice. I've used and thoroughly enjoyed this software for many years and hope to continue to do so. This however does not negate the fact that there are a number of core functional areas that by now should have been taken care of. Not doing so potentially jeopardizes CA ,which would be very unfortunate. Clients engage my services to get things right and I do not expect them to accept my short cummings, that's the reality and the way it is. This is no different than the relationship between myself and those for whom I am their client, that's also the reality and the way it is. The Pro version of CA is not promoted as a hobbyist or causal user program and as such it is not disrespectful or unreasonable for one to expect it to perform as claimed, and it is also not disrespectful or unreasonable to question said claims when there appears to be direct or indirect contradictions. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 4/7/2018 at 5:17 PM, TheKitchenAbode said:

Exporting the image is the only way you can save a PBR camera scene. When Ray Tracing I used the PNG format as the JPEG export was not as clean.

Agreed. Many people probably don't realize that JPEG is a lossy format (meaning that in compression, data is "lost" that results in image degradation), while PNG is lossless, which can make a difference depending on the amount of compression applied to the JPEG. Very minimal compression JPEG settings can approach a lossless state, but since Chief (unlike other programs) doesn't give you any control over the amount of JPEG compression it's best to go with PNG for the highest quality. Which is exactly what the Help Assistant within Chief recommends for image export.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, cv2702 said:

No problem here (20.2.0.51).  Even tried to change image size.

snip_20180407124625.thumb.png.7567ac0afb849d14a3f3b57a5f82740b.png

Using driver 391.01 on a 1070TI, exports as JPEG using 'active window size' works OK, but all other options (png, different size) produce bad output.

The release note says "Fixed a problem that prevented Walkthroughs, the Export Picture tool, and camera views sent to layout from working correctly when the Physically Based rendering Technique was used".

Does anyone know what this patch entails for Walkthroughs?

5 minutes ago, BrianBeck said:

The same issue reported in this thread about exported images would have also occurred for any walkthroughs recorded using the Physically Based rendering technique.

So I'm assuming this patch doesn't address the issues discussed in this forum here on 'walkthrough along path' ?