Why does CA get slower and slower the more I use it? [SOLVED]

StevenJ

57 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

You can always go into the undo folder and delete the leftover stuff, not sure why CA does not do this when a plan is closed.

Concerning the impact of say 50 undo files, I checked my main C: drive and there is more than 185,000 files on it. Not sure 50 more has any real impact concerning overall read/write performance.

It does clean up the files so now problem there. 

I am an software performance and scaleability engineer for a couple of global companies so do a lot of analysis on such issues down to low level hardware (local drives, bus/network speed, SANs etc) and never said 50 extra files makes a difference. I have 635K files on my boot NVMe SSD drive but use a specific NVMe for temp files/undo for various applications anyway.   

The core issue here is Chief writes undo files that are too large, too frequently.  It's probably crept up on them over the years with larger more complex plans with more detailed symbols so hopefully our various grumbles will get some attention to the core issue.

1 minute ago, Smn842 said:

It does clean up the files so now problem there. 

I am an software performance and scaleability engineer for a couple of global companies so do a lot of analysis on such issues down to low level hardware (local drives, bus/network speed, SANs etc) and never said 50 extra files makes a difference. I have 635K files on my boot NVMe SSD drive but use a specific NVMe for temp files/undo for various applications anyway.   

The core issue here is Chief writes undo files that are too large, too frequently.  It's probably crept up on them over the years with larger more complex plans with more detailed symbols so hopefully our various grumbles will get some attention to the core issue.

Appreciate your input, I'm just trying to understand what's going on. Just downloaded ImDisk, set up a drive in physical memory and assigned my undo folder to it. Have tried three CA plans, the largest being Grandview @ 152 MB. I'm not seeing any discernable difference in undo/redo response time.

By any chance is the ramdrive being used for files other than the undo ones?

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to link here to another thread where I discovered that using a RAM drive for my undo and temp folders was messing up my textures in Raytracing.

I was using ImDisk, but I'm not sure if this issue is specific to that utility or if it is how chief behaves on all ramdisk setups.  In order to raytrace with textures I just had to shut off the ramdisc, allow chief to assign temp and undo folders back to default, and voila!

• 1 year later...

Jumping back into this topic hoping someone found a solution to this issue.

I'm currently experiencing really long lag times every time I move a wall or other object. Interestingly though I've noticed that bumping a cabinet doesn't produce the same lag time (it's almost instant) UNTIL it meets another object like an adjoining cabinet. I tested this by pulling the cabinet out into the room which resulted in a lag, then when it was in the room I was able to modify the cabinet by bumping stretching deleting and replacing like normal. Upon pushing that cabinet back to its position next to the other resulted in the same lag. Also, I am able to modify upper cabinets fine while they are touching other upper cabinets however I did notice that when I UNDO a function I also get a lag. This makes me wonder if the lag is due to the computer recognizing that the elevations and 3D views now need to reconstruct that joint whereas before the objects were just moving within the space. I'm getting about 60-80sec lag times which is absolutely insane. I haven't experienced this issue on other plans so it's very strange and makes me think I adjusted a setting somewhere that is causing this. The file size is 6.7MB

Thanks for any insight you may have on this. If it is helpful I can record a screen video just trying to figure out what might be the most helpful information to record. Thanks again!image.thumb.png.39eeb7c1b2a1fdfdedd27966366523f3.png