Reference Layer

country

When I start a design, I use CAD boxes that are on the CAD Default layer and then change them to CAD Guidelines to start work with walls.  When doing a second floor I would like the reference layer to show these boxes from the first floor but only outlines of some boxes show.  Is this normal behavior or may I be doing something that doesn't work with the reference layers?

I can copy and paste in place but when working on a story and half, I'd rather not.

I thought all the CAD boxes and lines from the main level should show up on the second level.  Maybe wrong thought.

Reference Layer Plan.plan

Main Floor.JPG

2nd Floor.JPG

Reference Layers On.JPG

Edited by country
Add Plan and Screen Captures

Reference layers are pretty simple and only requires the layer you specify to show on the reference layer set. I sometimes hit a combination of the check boxes attached (have no idea what they mean) and it shows various parts of layers.

Of course best to post your plan as always.

XOR DBX.jpg

Sherry,

This is a classic for use of "Saved Plan Views".  You can specify the Reference Layer Set & its Floor for each Saved Plan View.

It will take a little work to set it up but once you have the Reference Layer Sets defined it should work fine.

51 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Sherry,

This is a classic for use of "Saved Plan Views".  You can specify the Reference Layer Set & its Floor for each Saved Plan View.

It will take a little work to set it up but once you have the Reference Layer Sets defined it should work fine.

Great tip Joe.

AND you check/uncheck those crazy boxes in the way that really works for your plan view and ref set. Nice.

2 hours ago, country said:

When I start a design, I use CAD boxes that are on the CAD Default layer and then change them to CAD Guidelines to start work with walls.  When doing a second floor I would like the reference layer to show these boxes from the first floor but only outlines of some boxes show.  Is this normal behavior or may I be doing something that doesn't work with the reference layers?

I can copy and paste in place but when working on a story and half, I'd rather not.

I thought all the CAD boxes and lines from the main level should show up on the second level.  Maybe wrong thought.

Main Floor.JPG

2nd Floor.JPG

Reference Layers On.JPG

The "missing lines" are there, they're just being cancelled out by another line in the exact same location.

Do some editing of your lines to eliminate overlapping lines and all is well.

2 hours ago, country said:

Main Floor.JPG

2nd Floor.JPG

Reference Layers On.JPG

You just need to uncheck Use XOR Drawing.  XOR drawing cancels out overlapping lines that have identical properties.  In Chief though, it doesn't always work as I believe it was intended too and oftentimes seems to cancel out a few other things as well.

Yes as I thought - the XOR check box can really screw up your ref set displays. I think it is a crime to have a check box in a user interface that references such an arcane engineering term but putting difficult to understand terms in the user interface is something that Chief is very good at. I always just thrashed through those boxes until I got the display I wanted.

Now with Plan Views you can set up everything once and forget it. The video below might be of some use.

I will watch the video later.  It will probably help my work flow.  There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the week lately.  Thanks.

Unchecking the XOR box worked!  Obviously something I missed learning over the last few years☹️

Thanks everyone, for the help.  Always appreciated!