Opening X10 plan with X8

WayneP

One of my builders gave me a plan to edit for him, that he purchased from a local draftsman, the problem is that I am running X8, and the plan was created in a newer version( not sure if it's X9 or X10) I cant justify the $995.00 cost to upgrade to X10, as I am a kitchen designer that uses 20/20 for my daily work, and only use CA rarely. Is there any way for someone to convert this plan, so it could be opened in X8?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tilley 02 01 18.plan

Tilley Layout 03 01 18.layout

You would need to try to work with a pdf or dwg copy which will involve a lot of work on your part.

Or it might be a good opportunity to work for a paid upgrade.  Sad that something could not be worked out with the original draftsman.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, WayneP said:

One of my builders gave me a plan to edit for him, that he purchased from a local draftsman, the problem is that I am running X8, and the plan was created in a newer version( not sure if it's X9 or X10) I cant justify the $995.00 cost to upgrade to X10, as I am a kitchen designer that uses 20/20 for my daily work, and only use CA rarely. Is there any way for someone to convert this plan, so it could be opened in X8?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tilley 02 01 18.plan

Tilley Layout 03 01 18.layout

it was done in X9 by the looks , so I guess the editing job isn't worth $995 ? I guess it depends on if you want to keep the Builder Happy or not?

You could pay one of us to do the mods ...in your name....but that still leaves you not being able to view or edit the plan further , at least if you upgrade now you will get SSA too , so you'll likely get X11 free next year too.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, solver said:

Can't be done.

How much of the plan do you need -- just the floor plan or the complete model?

I would want the complete model, as there is a fair amount of revisions to make.

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

With the cabinet upgrades in X9 and X10 you may find you are able to use Chief more for your regular work.

I wish that I could use CA for my regular work, as I really despise 20/20. Unfortunately its the easiest way to price/order.

I'm going to talk with the builder today, to see what type of budget he has, If there's enough $ involved, I'll upgrade to X10.

Thanks for the replies

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

it was done in X9 by the looks , so I guess the editing job isn't worth $995 ? I guess it depends on if you want to keep the Builder Happy or not?

You could pay one of us to do the mods ...in your name....but that still leaves you not being able to view or edit the plan further , at least if you upgrade now you will get SSA too , so you'll likely get X11 free next year too.

I'm unsure of the builders budget, Ill talk to him today about it, and if there's enough money involved, I'll upgrade. Of course I would like to keep him happy.

Any idea of when X11 will be released?

2 hours ago, WayneP said:

I wish that I could use CA for my regular work, as I really despise 20/20. Unfortunately its the easiest way to price/order.

I'm a KD, dropped support for 2020 at V9, have not rarely used it since CA X7.

I posted a quick video for pricing cabinets from CA into an online ordering system.

For one brand I have that does not have online ordering I have a spreadsheet template I use and copy paste from the schedule into that. I use PDF catalogs (add my own bookmarks in Bluebeam) to look up pricing.

Way back when I'd used a CA schedule to copy paste into an item list in 2020

Cheryl, also on this board, is a KD workingat HD. She redoes her jobs in Chief and then brings images and such back to work-even though she's working in 2020. She's recently posted that's she's become the leading sales in the REGION and claims it's because of Chief.

For myself I've found that-Chief helps sell jobs, produces far better drawings=happier installers/contractors=more referrals=mo-money; has gotten me a better class of projects.

There is a learning curve but far less frustrating than the things that happen with 2020 IMO.

• Upvote 1