"C" Channels correct in 3D, show as Wood in Section

wjmdes

When I did this section yesterday it worked fine.  Today I raised the joists up for a suspended ceiling and the section now shows a lumber symbol.  Have spent 3 hours trying to fix this with no answer.5ac0332a53651_kste1.thumb.JPG.0ba88d18e452a3a65f7615d52bb44744.JPGkste2.thumb.JPG.f19e9330682e19795c3a926b2a93dffa.JPG

This is my biggest gripe with CA is when something goes wrong it seems entirely too much time is lost looking for a solution which ends up being something simple.

17-1018_KFTE_Road.plan

Not sure if this is the correct functionality or not but it seems that if the camera cuts the C channel it displays as a cross box  in section view yet if the member is not cut it appears as a "C" .   Any chance you move the camera ?  Could not find a saved one.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Not sure if this is the correct functionality or not but it seems that if the camera cuts the C channel it displays as a cross box  in section view yet if the member is not cut it appears as a "C" .   Any chance you move the camera ?  Could not find a saved one.

I think Chopsaw might be right about , if the section cuts the joist or not, as it seems if CA thinks it is a Joist it gives the white cross box for most material types except I Beam and I joist which are correct.

10 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I went back in this morning and looked at them from the end, not a cross section and they were "C"'s.  So it appears CA is messing it up.  Where do I go to report the error or has some one already done that?

- Support Answer -

Anne Smith
Tuesday, Apr 03, 2018 - 03:14 PM PDT
Hello William,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the profile of C and U Channel framing in clipped section views and for sending us an example. I will report this issue to our Software Development team and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

There is another issue I have found with C channel behavior in Chief when using mirror copy.

I kept intending to report this, but I don't actually remember doing it.  I have not been involved in a project using C channel for a while now, but from what I remember Chief was not doing a transform of the actual C shape, but just the basic box of the profile.  As in, it will mirror copy the Channel, but it does not actually flip the Channel as one would expect from a true transform matrix of the actual shape.

This would probably be a good time for others to verify this behavior.  Who knows, they may have fixed it by now.

BTW on large projects that make use of similar room and therefore floor beam arrangements, having this work properly would be a real time saver. 

I will try to check this out again as well.

I sent in a fairly comprehensive report in early 2017 on this issue and there have been some improvements but not sure I would consider it a fix.  To be fair I should redraw the test plan from scratch in X10 but here is what happened when I brought the plan forward.

5ac423e460d46_X9LookoutSection.thumb.jpg.4c091d03b989de3c7af265bf24d5f471.jpg 5ac423e59c431_X10LookoutSection.thumb.jpg.a2d3a247e381a35f05191ebe893d3e3b.jpg

5ac423e327d9e_LookoutSectionBlowup.thumb.jpg.51d7293cc061b600ab6b0b73440d09c1.jpg

Maybe a little feedback from others who use this all the time would encourage them to take another look at the issues.