Chief crashing/quitting when going to print

katmacphail

Help!  I've been working on a plan and layout.  I sent the layout to print and the program quit.  I did this about 6 times, it quit every time.  I went to upgrade from 9 to 10. I restated my computer.  I started a new layout in 10, at first I could get the print preview to show up, I thought everything was fine.  I finished the layout, went to print and Chief quit on me again.  I have no idea why this is happening.  I send it to print and then the dialog box comes up, as the page previews are forming it just stops.  Any ideas?  I'm attaching the layout here, it is a draft but I'd like to print it. 

thanks

Katharine

212 grove proposed.layout

Hi Katharine,  Have you tried to print to PDF 1st ? it working here for me but there are a number of Linked pics in the Layout,

which are not on my system so I am not sure whats missing ? ( see PDF below) 3 pages at 11x17 is that right?

Are you sending Images to Layout rather that the scaled view?

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please, especially with the Software Version, X9, X10 etc
and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.

If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum
Toggle it on in UserName>Account >Signatures...... go to the Upper RH Corner of Forum Window.

M.

212 grove proposed.pdf

23.thumb.JPG.c2ef583ba382df806d51539fa075148e.JPG

Not sure what is going on but seems to print ok, at least what is in the layout file as it is.  I have crashed chief a few times by accidentally imputing the incorrect scale so it thinks it needs to print larger than actual size an attempts to do that.

If you would like post the backup file I could likely print it to PDF for you.

Thanks chopsaw and Kbird.  I will fill in my info- I don't see your signature I don't think- I'll figure that out.

I don't even get a chance to put in any information about the printing, it quits before the print dialog box is ready to go.  The dialog box appears then the whole thing quits.  I'll send my request to technical issues also. 

I opened a different project layout and it took a while but the print dialog box was eventually ready to go.  The strange thing is that my existing file seemed corrupted, it was glitching out and showing the plywood in the walls here and there, making strange shadows and being generally nauseating.  I saved as and made 4 variations, they were all glitchy.  Then I just built a new model and that is my new proposed.  I am still using the old glitchy existing model for the existing drawings.  Maybe that is causing the whole thing to be a problem?  You could both print my layout but neither had the attached existing file.  Hmmm.  I will try that one.  Thank you both for your responses.  

It seems you have a bunch of picture files in the layout and you can optionally save those in the layout file by opening the DBX and under the General tab select "Save in Plan".  Otherwise they are referenced from your computer and do not travel with the layout file.

Or from layout go to File > Backup Entire Project > "Backup Plan Files and All Referenced Files" and optionally, "Send Backup Files to Zip Archive" for faster posting. 

Then someone may be able to help with or comment on the glitches as well.

Thanks Chopsaw!  I have so much to learn about how to really use this program.

In the meantime, I think I have solved the problem by starting a new layout plan and not attaching the glitching file to it.  So far, so good anyway.  This is my third attempt at a layout for these drawings. What a time waster!  Thanks for your input.  

Katharine

I think I'm going to cry, I've been working on this for 6 hours and have so much else to do....

I started yet another layout.  I redrew the existing so that the glitchy file wasn't connected to the layout.  When I started the new layout I checked to be sure that I could send it to print without Chief crashing.  All was ok.  I set up one page.  Still OK.  I set up a second page, sent to print and crashed again.  

I'm attaching the backup file that I made here, not sure that I did it right.  

I have to build another model tonight for a different project and definitely don't want to do that if I won't be able to print it out. 

I did open a previously made layout that is 14 pages long and everything was fine.  

Since you all can print it out, am I running out of computer memory or something?

Katharine

212 Grove layout.zip

Everything seems fine here.  What Print driver are you using ?  I would go ahead and finish your work and post it for someone to make a PDF for you until tech opens on Monday and maybe can help find the issue.  Maybe post a screen shot of your print settings to see if there is something obvious.

I substituted the font but could fix that for a final version.

212 grove draft march 31.pdf

4 hours ago, katmacphail said:

You could both print my layout but neither had the attached existing file.  Hmmm.  I will try that one.  Thank you both for your responses.  

Not quite sure what you mean here I did attach the PDF that came out for me from the Original Layout ?  the new one is below too.

I can see you are using a MAC now you have a Signature , so perhaps this is a MAC issue as both Chopsaw and I can Print your File to PDF.

The Print from the Full Zip file printed quickly to PDF for me with no issues , though I noted you have deleted Elevation Cameras E,F,G,H , there is no link back to the plan for them , not sure if that is why Elev.G looks poorly drawn (fuzzy) or not compared to A,B,C,D.

M.

212 grove draft march 31_MHD.pdf

In order to share .layout files you have to also share any .plan files that are associated with the layout file and as chopsaw pointed out you also have to embed (save in plan) any associated image or PDF files as well.

If I were you, I would not continue to "bang my head against the wall" with things constantly going wrong. Contact your client and let them know you will be delayed a little. Then on Monday morning call tech support to help you sort out this annoying and unwanted problem.

I have not had Chief crash like you describe except when I tried to place too much additional graphic data in my layout, embedded or not (large image files, large PDF files). You can overwhelm your PC's ability to handle that much graphic data per unit of time. You can reduce the size of images and PDF files without loss of graphic clarity (Image editing software and PDF sizing software) to reduce their size in Megabytes.

While PDF files can save some time displaying details and notes they can also bring too much mass in terms of megabytes to the layout file, such files can be just typed that convey text data (text is a lot lighter in terms of megabytes than PDF files that contain text. The same is true of PDF graphic details that convey basically 2D data are generally heavier than 2D details you draw using 2D CAD tools. It is more work but doing what you are currently doing is not working either.

Consider this incident part of your learning curve.

DJP

• Like 1

Katharine,

You are not using ChiefArchitect PDF printer or Acrobat PDF Printer. You are using Software BullZip PDF and this software can not handle it (I think it can not handle ArchD).

PDFerror.thumb.jpg.ba32338585bc85cb6faf3dfcfb83ef0f.jpg

Nothing is wrong, swich the printer, see destination.

BT

I am not an architect and this is my hobby. 

• Upvote 1

After all of your feedback and the fact that some of you could print from my layout without an issue (I zipped it at someone's request, I usually use the standard print method) I have decided that it may be my computer.  In my mind it is new but actually it is not (2013?).   Chief crashes on me all the time, probably every couple of hours.  AutoCAD did the same thing, I always assumed that they crashed due to bugs in the programs.  I am usually able to keep working as usual after the crashes.  Maybe my life doesn't have to be so annoying, that is good news. 

I can reduce the size of the images that I import using photoshop, but how would I reduce the size of the interior elevations that I send to layout?  However in this layout I was using only plans and wall elevations send to layout, no images or PDFs.  I used rich text in layout for the notes and titles.  

I can print other layouts for previous projects, and they are 14 pages rather than 2.  I can print the first page without Chief crashing.  When I send it to print through the Chief print dialog, it crashes just as it is formulating the page previews.  I don't get a chance to interact with the print dialog.  I can print the second page if I remove all 4 bath elevations.  It will crash if I remove the 4 shower elevations and keep the 4 bath elevations.  Somehow those bath elevations are making the program crash when I go to print.  

My elevations are often horribly fuzzy, but then sometimes not.  That is a whole other subject that I'm trying to figure out  and won't get into here. 

Thank you all for your help. 

The kind of behavior with Chief and AutoCAD is NOT usual. Everyone has occasional crashes but yours sounds like a bad software driver (mouse or video card, which are easy to address, just update them to the latest offered by your mouse maker or video card maker from their respective websites). A corrupt driver can be a source of such behavior.

Frankly, it could be several other possible sources: a bad RAM module, a virus or other mal-ware, even the accumulation of dirt and dust on your hardware components, or if your Drive "C" is too full or heavily fragmented. Buying a new computer is the last thing I would first address when having such problems. I do know from experience that versions X 7,8,.9 and 10 are a lot more demanding of PC hardware resources than earlier versions (each new versions does more and also requires better hardware to keep up).

DJP

Katharine,

You seem to have narrowed the issue down to the 4 bathroom elevations which is a good start.  Also as Mick pointed out earlier the shower elevations are no longer properly linked in the .zip file you posted.  As a test I would open the 4 layout boxes ( A,B,C,D ) and in the Layout Box Specification DBX under the Camera View tab, switch them from "Live View" to "Plot Lines w/Color Fill".

If that works then resend the shower elevations and do the same thing with them.

I noticed in your first attachment you had image files that were in cloud storage linked to layout.  Are your plan and layout files in that same cloud storage ?

5 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

You are not using ChiefArchitect PDF printer or Acrobat PDF Printer. You are using Software BullZip PDF and this software can not handle it (I think it can not handle ArchD).

PDFerror.thumb.jpg.ba32338585bc85cb6faf3dfcfb83ef0f.jpg

Tiger,   This is a critical factor that I asked earlier, however we do not yet know what print driver Katharine is using as you have referenced the pdf file that Mick created and posted, so BullZip does work in this situation and we are not dealing with ArchD but rather 11x17".

What I have observed to be true with problem layouts is that too much Megabyte sized graphic material can be sent to a layout file as images and or PDF files instead of vector based text, lines and other 2D CAD objects can make a .layout file hard to handle on ANY computer due to the shear size of the added together material. I think that this is what the OP is complaining of ( a self generated "problem"). I have experienced this myself and is the only condition I have observed that could be causing her to not be able to print such a burdened layout file to crash the application. I cannot of course prove this without the actual layout file AND its attachments and associated .plan files but I suggest that she look for this as the cause.

Bite the bullet and remove some of the megabyte heavy material in your layout and then see if that alleviates the crashing phenomena. Replace PDF text with actual 2D text, replace or reduce the size of graphic images and PDF's wtih smaller files or draw them using 2D CAD tools.

DJP

1 hour ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Guys, I use BullZip for ArchD all of the time; it works for that size also.

I too use Bullzip for all sizes needed without Issue , it produces smaller Files than the Chief Built In "Save to PDF" and I use Bullzip for everything , not just CA. They also have BullZip PDF Studio , if you'd like to try a New PDF Reader.

Free version of PDF Printer

http://cdn.bullzip.com/download/pdf_free/Setup_BullzipPDFPrinter_11_5_0_2698_FREE.exe

PDF Studio

http://www.bullzip.com/products/stu/

Is it possible this is a MAC Printing Issue ?

M.

13 hours ago, katmacphail said:

My elevations are often horribly fuzzy, but then sometimes not.  That is a whole other subject that I'm trying to figure out  and won't get into here. 

Thank you all for your help. 

Are you sending to Layout as an Image ( Current screen as Image) rather than as Plot Line Work ? that may explain the "fuzziness" ? depending on the VideoCard

I noticed that elevation G is particularly Fuzzy.

I usually don't use Colour in layouts though except for the Cover Page

I am able to delete the 4 shower elevations and still print it....

Hopefully Support can help you sort it out Monday.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, katmacphail said:

Help!  I've been working on a plan and layout.  I sent the layout to print and the program quit.  I did this about 6 times, it quit every time.  I went to upgrade from 9 to 10. I restated my computer.  I started a new layout in 10, at first I could get the print preview to show up, I thought everything was fine.  I finished the layout, went to print and Chief quit on me again.  I have no idea why this is happening.  I send it to print and then the dialog box comes up, as the page previews are forming it just stops.  Any ideas?  I'm attaching the layout here, it is a draft but I'd like to print it. 

thanks

Katharine

212 grove proposed.layout

You might try to Clear the printer info also. It located in the file/ print/ clear printer info.