Rafters floating above top plate

sealtech101

This is my first addition drawing that I have done. I have spent a lot of time watching videos and reading, but I have hit a few road blocks with software that's not easy to figure out or find answers for. And I think I picked one of the most complex roof lines to join together.. I'm looking for someone to look over my drawing to critique it and help with a few issues. Siding, rafters (floating) and roof connection issues.

Thanks for any help!

GW_addition.plan

Your roof planes are too high. 

Get your roof plane settings as you desire, then draw a new roof plane where the problem is, marking "Over top of the wall" when asked.

It is more difficult to understand roofs when your roof baselines are not where CA draws them, as yours are not. 

Regards,

Charles

Solver, The part with window,doors and gable. It's a 24'x24' addition.

I have tried changing pitch, ridge height and fascia height when putting roof together, but I only can change to values at one time.  This is were I run into alignment issues.

I seen post were to small just haven't tackled that issue yet. 

I like the way your roof line turned out.

Should I erase all roof planes and start over? Where there any settings I changed you saw that did or didn't help the drawing?

Thanks for feedback.

CharlesVols,  Does changing baseline fix this issue? I'm guessing I can change values for ridge, baseline, fascia and pitch before roof is built. This fix height issue?

Thanks for feedback.

The baseline height and its horizontal location are integral to the roof plane's height and location. As Eric suggested, I would also suggest YouTube videos and/or the Chief Architect's videos. Or getting some one-on-one tutoring if that's what you prefer. I will send you a private message about that.

Regards,
Charles

"Or getting some one-on-one tutoring if that's what you prefer."

Robert, if you would like some free one on one help, call me today (832-754-6160). I use either Skype or Team Viewer to help people. I'm only available today as it turns out. Meetings today got postponed until tomorrow so I'm at standstills today. I will show you some basics of roofs.

• Upvote 1

Solver,  Roof mainly, If you see other things just mention them. I don't want to take up a lot of your time. I will go and try to figure other things out. I just hit a brick wall while working on the roof system.  Thanks

CharlesVols, Ok, do you have any suggestions on videos for baselines and roofs?

I would recommend going through the Tutorial Guide and learning the Auto Basic Roof Settings 1st as CA can handle alot automatically , then learn the manual Tools as you have time/need.

Get the Tut. and Ref. Manual on the Help menu if you haven't already and use the F1 key for context help too (ie whatever you are doing at the time).

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5447/roof-basics.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6126/

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6123/hip-roof.html?playlist=95