Odd lines on concrete w/Ray Casted Shadows on

Christina_Girerd

In a Standard render 3D overview, I turned on the Shadows, including Ray Casted Shadows, and noticed some odd angled hatch marks on the concrete driveway.  I changed sun angle and turned the view and they were still there.  But oddly, when I put down a new slab near the driveway, of the same concrete material, that did not have the odd marks.  Nor does the sidewalk in the front of the site, again, of the same material.  And when I zoomed in close by the garage doors where a chunk of the driveway is extended to the left for a sidewalk along the fence, that piece of the driveway does not show the marks.  I tried turning off bloom and reflections, but that made no difference.  Only turning of Ray Casted Shadows eliminated it.

I tried changing the material of it to see if it would show for another material, but the concrete won't change.  It will show in the dbx under Materials that it is a different material, but it doesn't show any change in the camera view.  So I took another camera view and no longer see the odd hatch marks, but the driveway material still doesn't show it has been changed, even tho the material dbx shows it (I attached the open dbx with an arrow pointing to the unchanged driveway.)

I attached the original site overview where I noticed the issue, a close up showing the odd lines on the driveway but no lines on the adjacent slab of the same material, and a new camera view with the material dbx.  And the material that is showing the weird marks is just Chief's standard "Concrete."

I don't have time to mess with this more right now, but just curious about this odd behavior.  Any ideas what is causing this? 

Back view 01.png

2018 03 28 Concrete wierd lines.jpg

2018 03 28 Concrete only shows.jpg

No idea what is causing it, I have seen the weirdness in the DBX too, but when I see Weirdness like this in STD or PBR views I Paint the "Bad Material" using the eyedropper Tool from one that is working eg the Slab next to the Driveway which seems to fix it.

I have the same in a Kitchen project , the Cabinets near the Fir French Doors keep changing from White to a Brownish White , like it is picking up some of the Fir Colour , so I just Eye Dropper it off the Cabinet next to it each time it changes.....yes it's a Real PITA :) ..... this new lighting Engine , is still in Beta me thinks :)

M.

Yeah, that was my first thought.  I tried using the eye dropper too, since the sidewalk that works fine is the same Concrete material.  And then I put in that new sample slab, also same concrete material and tried using the eye dropper from both of those - but didn't work. I had a little more time now, so I shut everything down and restarted, but it didn't change.  One thing I find particularly odd is if I break the slab and "pull out" a chunk of it, that part doesn't have the lines - see attached. 

- Just had a new idea as the hatch marks made me think of z-fighting. So I selected the driveway and then selected the "convert to plain polyline" and as soon as that happened, the problem disappeared - and revealed that somehow I had two driveways or a slab on top of a driveway.  Even though they were both the same material, it somehow caused that problem. 

Okay - problem solved!

2018 03 28 Concrete wierd lines 2.jpg

• Like 1

good find...... who's to say who's to blame , not sure how you would accidentally get two driveways in the same spot ( copy and paste in place?) unless maybe it is an X8 or X9 9 plan brought forward and it is that type of anomaly?

M.

It was a new plan in x10.  I remember trying to tweak something on the driveway last week because the as-built driveway extended out to the left and in the standard driveway that I placed, I couldn't put in a break and do that.  So I'm sure did something while messing with that, but didn't do it in a single session so lost track of it while working on other plans.

1 hour ago, Christina_Girerd said:

It was a new plan in x10.  I remember trying to tweak something on the driveway last week because the as-built driveway extended out to the left and in the standard driveway that I placed, I couldn't put in a break and do that.  So I'm sure did something while messing with that, but didn't do it in a single session so lost track of it while working on other plans.

best practice is to post your .plan file so we can take a look... just a hunch, do you have two duplicate slabs in place. try deleting it.

but please, post the .plan

Yes, the issue was two driveways on top of each other, which I mentioned in my second post, but you're welcome to look at the plan.  I found a slightly older file that still had the problem and checked and the issue is definitely that there were two driveways on top of each other. One of the driveways is split into two pieces as I was going to change the texture close to the garage, and I probably assumed I had gotten rid of the original driveway but apparently not.  Just fyi, this project has some minor remodeling to the main house and an ADU addition in the backyard.   Oops - I forgot to zip the file before I posted it, so it's a little big, sorry.

2018_03_24_Welsh_SchA1c.plan

I guess we have new Forum size limits for uploads as that plan is 41mb and we couldn't upload anything bigger than 25mb previously.

Strangely I am not getting that "stripping" shown in your pics , wonder if that's a graphics driver issue? there are definitely two driveways though , I can select the 2 pieces and slide them off to the left and there is a full 1 piece (2nd) driveway beneath.

M.

I am using the latest 391.24 Drivers , Perry usually updates regularly too.

You are on 388.73  , there were a few issues with the 388 series but that is the 1st report I have seen of this one....

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/131974

just found Nvidia has a newer one 391.35 too

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/132845

that's 4 drivers this month , so I guess something is up at Nvidia....

If those don't work I would try 382.05 since you have an older GTX 970 , latest is not always the best with older Hardware.

see my post on doing that here :

11.JPG

I had material display issues with my lattice and metal roof materials. Try removing the "Bump Map File" from the concrete.

Go to your 'Plan Materials', find your concrete material and click 'Edit'.

In the 'Define Material' window, select 'Texture'.

Copy/Paste the current 'Bump Map File'  somewhere convenient (i.e. Notepad, in case you want to put it back.) 

Delete the 'Bump Map File'.  If that was the problem, the tea pot in the material display window should display properly.

This issue was solved by the OP in her second response.. whenever there are two horizontal faced planes at the exact same coordinates they will fight each other in 3D views, the same is true for external 3D programs as well. Moving one object up or down a smidge will give priority and fix the issue