Two Story Rooms with Stairs

jflare

Hello, I am struggling mightily with building two-story rooms with stairs. I have several of these projects right now, and they are making me a little crazy.

I am attaching the project file I am currently working on. It has a two-story entry, which I have successfully created. However, I can't seem to control the stairs properly. There is a center run up to a landing, and then the stair splits. It looks like both of the top segments are connected to the landing, however, I can only control the materials and settings on the left side. Nothing I change seems to affect the right side unless I make all of the changes to the left side first and then mirror it to create a copy on the right side. I also can't get the railings to wrap around the corners.

Plus, I am not sure why I can see the ceiling surface of the basement stairs "room" through a portion of the wall and why the wall doesn't continue from the basement all the way up through the second story (ie. I can see a line in vector view).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

CA-File-Help.plan

stair-view.jpg

Eric, that is all incredibly helpful. I didn't know I could make the newel post 0".

I tried making the stair runs without mirroring, and it wouldn't connect at all. Mirroring was the only way I could get it to connect to the landing on both sides. I haven't found a great tutorial for this setup.

Thanks so much for your advice!