Google warehouse model will not resize

SingletonRW

This may have been covered in another thread, if so please point me that way. I have downoaded say a car from google warehouse and imported it into CA. Some are correct and I can size it to my preference. Others import and are 3 times the size of my house and can not be resized. I can enter dimensions and it don't change. It has no handles when hilighted.

When I download, I explode it completely and use the cleanup plugin to fix any errors or surfaces. Am I missing a step or something?

Thanks for the help.

Is the 'Drawing Unit' on the '3D' section of the 'Symbol Specification' dialog set to the correct unit during symbol import using Advanced options import?

I find most issues for symbols I import are due to this so I now check on every import (although I use metric and not sure if that makes a difference to importing).

6 hours ago, SingletonRW said:

This may have been covered in another thread, if so please point me that way. I have downoaded say a car from google warehouse and imported it into CA. Some are correct and I can size it to my preference. Others import and are 3 times the size of my house and can not be resized. I can enter dimensions and it don't change. It has no handles when hilighted.

When I download, I explode it completely and use the cleanup plugin to fix any errors or surfaces. Am I missing a step or something?

Thanks for the help.

You're going to need to give us more than that.  Post a plan with one of the questionable symbols in it, post a Zip file with the Sketchup symbol, or at the very least...point us to the Sketchup Symbol. 

I’m away from my computer now.  I’ll take a look when I get back to the office.  I’m sure someone else will probably chime in with an answer before then.  In the meantime, here’s a potential solution for you so you can keep moving forward...

Drop the symbol into a blank plan, convert to symbol, drop that NEW symbol into blank plan, resize, and then optionally convert to symbol one more time and save the correctly sized version to your library.

Some imports do fine. It’s almost as if it is 68 foot in height instead of 68 inches. Like I said earlier, before I export from SU I explode it completely. Then I use cleanup plugin to fix everything. Then I group everything. I then export it, then import into CA using advanced options and set 3D dimensions. 75-80% of models to fine. The others are always resizing issues. Those always import with original SU size. I seen on another site that a program called accutrans works to fix this. 

I might have figured it out. The changed a setting in SU 2017 for using tape measure to resize. Once I figured that out, I was able to resize it. Reimported it in CA and scale was correct and I could change the size within CA. 

If if you run into this, in SU you have to bring up tape measure and hit CTRL until arrow or + disappears then measure and resize. 

I just got back to the office and checked out your files.  They're all working perfectly fine.  Your problem is that you're going about some things the wrong way.

The reason you can't seem to be able to select or resize your symbol is you might expect is because you changed the bounding box during the import process...

5abd05225fdf1_Pic1.thumb.png.fd3b3c95e6eca97e6166aee91fcbdb65.png5abd0523009f9_Pic2.thumb.png.04f52337be4c3bcbf6f3d0165dd3bae0.png

You have to remember that your symbols have a certain 3D geometry and the bounding box does NOT change that geometry.  All it does is tells Chief how you want to control/resize that geometry. 

I can see from the 3D symbols you posted that the height of that car symbol is about 36,000"W x 12,000"D x 9300"T.  When you changed the bounding  box dimensions to make the car 242"W x 78"D x 68"T, all you really did was tell Chief that you wanted the geometry to be represented at full size when the dimensions are set to those numbers.  Again, you didn't actually change the original geometry at all.  This means you would need to set the dimensions to something like 1-1/2" x 1/2" x 3/8" if you wanted to size the car all the way down to its proper size. 

Also, the Sketchup symbol has some extra geometry off away from the car that needs to be deleted. 

All the corrections can be done directly in Chief for these types of things.  Here's the process I would recommend using for the SKP file...

1. Import the model into Chief but do not add it to your library
  2. If there is any extra geometry, take a 3D view, use the Delete Surface tool to delete it all, and then Tools>Symbol>Convert To Symbol
  3. Drop the new symbol into your plan and delete the original.  Repeat steps 2 and 3 if any extra geometry still remains.
  4. Once you have any extra geometry cleaned up, Open Object (not symbol) and change the size to what you want it to be.
  5. Take a 3D view, Convert To Symbol, and add to your library.

You should now have a clean and properly sized symbol in your library for use.  Delete any of the temporary symbols and use this one.