Video Card

Greg_NY61

Hello fellas!

Maybe you can help me out here before I end up with some junk video card. Thinking to swap my Video card since I been having issues with bullseye effect, etc.

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Dual-Fan OC Edition Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O3G)

Is this a good video card and do you think this will solve bullseye effect and what you think in general is this good card for Chief Architect? 

Thanks in advance!

Possibly but I would suggest a 6GB version , instead if your budget can afford it ,  Graham just got the 6GB EVGA 1060 and is happy with it , I have the 8GB EVGA 1070 FTW2.

https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1060+6GB

P.S. Chief now recommends 4GB and my 4GB 1050Ti , in my Laptop seems to handle x10 Ok.

More info in JBHammer thread too with the same issue as you and other with Older AMD Cards

2 hours ago, Greg_NY61 said:

Hello fellas!

Maybe you can help me out here before I end up with some junk video card. Thinking to swap my Video card since I been having issues with bullseye effect, etc.

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Dual-Fan OC Edition Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O3G)

Is this a good video card and do you think this will solve bullseye effect and what you think in general is this good card for Chief Architect? 

Thanks in advance!

Probably goes without saying, but just in case...make sure that video card will fit and work in your current machine.

My guess would be to get whatever your budget can afford especially since it appears you are working at 4K. With a 1000wPS you are able to get whatever Card you want , I would look at a 1070Ti or 1080 , 1080Ti if the Budget can handle it as all cards are expensive right now , though I don't think it will change anytime soon , though they have come down a little this month as manufacturers have caught up after the Xmas rush.... it's a tax write off isnt it :)  go for it....  you can always move it to a new Computer......or buy a full system with a 1070 or 1080 and a i7-8700K CPU , and make that PC your new "Office Computer" .

Thanks Mick,

Wow, thanks Mick...do you work off of a commission. B)  I have a kid in college and another headed in that direction.

I was checking out the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6173-KR for $500. It is hard to get a handle on all the new cards because I am not a gamer...just a chiefer. So I can't tell what improvement I may get with CA vs the cost.

I built this current desktop in 2014 and keep adding to it because (a) it still seems to be effective, and (b) I don't want to spend the time to build a new one right now.

:)  I didn't say you had to buy EVGA  but I have had good luck when needing support from them over the years , HQ is in Cali. so easy to deal with usually.

Video Cards are one part easy to move to the next computer  , but the 1070 ,1070Ti ( same as a 1080 if overclocked) or 1080,1080ti are all at premium prices right now. From what i've seen I think $500 for the 6173 is a good price....I thought it was more like $600

you could also try the 2nd hand market on Craiglist for a 980Ti   (same as a 1070ti ) but not all manufacturers allow transfer of the Warranty though I believe EVGA does , ( please check) their warranties are based on the card serial number not the sale invoice.

***PS ...hang on are you really still on X8 ?  most are find x10 too much for there Cards and why they are upgrading.......

M.

45 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

Buy Here at Amazon.

Hmmmm Amazon selective pricing? it shows that card at $596.68 for me (PLUS $82 shipping to canada) 600USD would be $800 here...

for that price you can buy the 1070ti direct

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5671-KR

or two different 1080's

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6386-KR

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5184-KR

Thanks Mick,

I bought the  EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6173-KR for $500 + tax from Amazon (free shipping + 5% ($25) cash back via Amazon credit card). I had already (mentally) stepped up from the 1060 discussed above. I didn't want to pay another $130 US or ~25% more. Also, the 1080 is not available now (not that I am in a hurry).

CA forum temp.png

12 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

Thanks Mick,

I bought the  EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6173-KR for $500 + tax from Amazon (free shipping + 5% cash back via Amazon credit card). I had already (mentally) stepped up from the 1060 discussed above. I didn't want to pay another $130 US or ~25% more. Also, the 1080 is not available now (not that I am in a hurry).

CA forum temp.png

Good price ,$100 off for Prime Users.... They just stopped the Amazon card here this Month for Amazon.ca.... Chase Bank wanted out.... but it was only 1% back ..... quite the difference too....

Well, it sucks, got the new card and it's not working on my PC, because I have a Card slot: PCI-e 2.0x16 slot going to try this one PNY NVIDIA Quadro K1200 - ( VCQK1200DP-PB) this one also 4G bites, waiting for some info. I hope this one will work.

19 minutes ago, Greg_NY61 said:

Thanks, Perry! If that's the case will try this one: ASUS Radeon 4G GDDR5 Graphics-Cards RX 550

I would also stay away from these also although they have gotten better lately, but there have been problems in the past. NVidia is all I have ever used without any problems

PCIe 3.0 is backward compatible to 2.0 and even 1.0 , my guess would be that the card does not have a "Legacy Bios" and a UEFI Bios ( also called a GOP Bios) and so it won't boot on the old Legacy style Bios on the Chicago MB.  this has been an issue with GFX Cards for a while going back to the GTX 750Ti which some models didn't have a Legacy Bios too only a UEFI one. (My Brother got caught with this issue)

Perhaps call EVGA T.S. and ask if that is the issue , some GTX 970's like mine have both but I am unsure if the 10 Series cards do...

abit more info

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/932586/can-a-pci-express-3-0-x16-video-card-fit-on-a-pci-express-2-0-x16-moderboard-slot-/

http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/900_Series/GeForce_GTX_970_4GB/2438/Compatible_Motherboards

The latest MB Bios is from 2012 so even if you have it , it may not work? maybe best to search Google with the MB model and see what GFX card may work.

Or update the MB too depending on Budget....

Mick.

Thanks, fellas! This is so confusing, I can build a house in my sleep but I can't figure out these fk gadgets. I will stop by tomorrow and talk to Geeksquad and see what they can come up with.

@Kbird, when I installed EVGA and it didn't work, I called them and the guy told me that a 3.0 will not work with a 2.0 motherboard. You and other people saying otherwise. 

When I was buying my PC this where the video card choice options at the time:

GeForce GT 530 (2 GB)
GeForce GT 545 (3 GB)
GeForce GTX 550i (1 GB)
GeForce GTX 580 (1.5 GB)
Radeon HD 6570 (1 GB)
Radeon HD 6670 (1 GB)
Radeon HD 6850 (1 GB)

So since you guys saying x10 needs at least 4GB video card I'm trying to find one with the min of 4GB that will work with my PC. I will try Geek Squad see what they say.

Thanks again for all the help, I will let you know what happens when it happens.

With that said, I don't know why I get that bullseye effect only in CA, I use Thea rendering program with SketchUp and I don't have any issues at all, has to do something with the rendering engine.

It is apparently how older AMD cards deal with CA's version of Ambient Occlusion , CA's current solution was to turn it to Zero.

Try EVGA again and specifically ask about the GOP UEFI Bios and if it ALSO has a legacy bios for older Motherboards.... if it doesn't you'd need to replace the motherboard or perhaps the Computer , one with a 1060 in it already, since it may not be worth upgrading a 6-7 year old system, all the cards above are low performer by todays standards but you may find a 2nd hand Nvidia card on Ebay or Craiglist ?  ( none of the AMD Radeons , you have one with issues from that era already)

M.

Given that you are dealing with an older system, you may find this article to be of interest.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1496-pairing-cpu-and-gpu-bottlenecking/

As demonstrated, if your CPU is not up to snuff then you could be wasting your money. The term "discrete graphics" can be misconstrued, it's performance is still highly reliant upon your main CPU. Might be time to seriously consider a full system upgrade.