architectural requirements

antoine

why is it that

CA stays focusing on interiors which it is good at, but-

CA - Chief Architect is not Chief Interiors or maybe CA should change its name to CI.

so sadly. CA is not helping us architects to stay inline with the future designs that are required in today's demands. 

the forum is here to seek out question and answers to upgrade and help others.

sadly again important upgrades for architects are not or have not be recognized over these last years. (what a big shame).

this means that sales for CA software is limited which is not helping CA to advance.

lagging behind in what architects want, is a limitation to this software.

architects need to design any type of shape or structure today and using conventional brick and cement or wood frame structures are quickly disappearing in today's construction methods.

3D machines are here as one example of today's changes.

will CA change to help architects go forward?

• Downvote 1

I think Chief will include things we need , but it might take some time, they do listen to us but its their company so it might take some time to get there. I know for a fact Chief has included many items I have wished for but there are many more that hasn't come around yet.

I agree with you both, but if Chief could push harder in helping us produce better construction documents and productivity improvements over the "interiors" it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Chief is improving, but at the end of the day we first need to produce working drawings then second we can increase the wow factor during the design phase.

I always hear from Chief that they have limited resources and do what they can with those resources.  This is understandable, but if you aren't at least keeping up with what other BIM/CAD packages are doing then at some point you'll simply become antiquated.  For each release I get of Vectorworks the gap in residential focused BIM is becoming smaller and smaller and overall there are MANY more updates each year than what Chief is giving us.

I've had several people on the forums reach out to me in the last year to ask what i think about other apps like Vectorworks - since they are finally looking to change from Chief.  I didn't see that happening to much 2 years ago.

All that said, I am sure Chief is sitting back comparing their sales to people they lose and must be OK with that differential.

yes guys. just remember. the idea and concept design must come before any structural designs.

the concept must be agreed first before proceeding to make it happen.

therefore, tools for this particular field are of great importance.  

i would like that CA improve on the Architectural side, (of which it is lagging) as there interior side is ok.

things i would like to see:-  vertical angled walls

deforming tool

open more than one layout page at the same time.

curve or bend text around an object

are just some ideas for starters. 

• Downvote 1

I know the PBR was a big change with this addition.   I dont even use it.   It is essentially worthless to me.   For clients that want 3d views, I use the watercolor and line drawings.   Producing CDs is a big part.   Silly things like still having to mess like crazy to make stairs work.  (the winder tool to make a tread extend 3 1/2 to wrap the outside of the wall.  And then the room divider line just keeps changing into a 3 1/2" invisible wall.  (You then have to re-do to get the 3d looking normal again).  It is a major PIA and stair improvements have been at the top of many's list for a very long time.  (not discounting some small improvements to them...but still a ways to go).

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2018 at 11:59 PM, VisualDandD said:

I know the PBR was a big change with this addition.   I dont even use it.   It is essentially worthless to me.   For clients that want 3d views, I use the watercolor and line drawings.   Producing CDs is a big part.   Silly things like still having to mess like crazy to make stairs work.  (the winder tool to make a tread extend 3 1/2 to wrap the outside of the wall.  And then the room divider line just keeps changing into a 3 1/2" invisible wall.  (You then have to re-do to get the 3d looking normal again).  It is a major PIA and stair improvements have been at the top of many's list for a very long time.  (not discounting some small improvements to them...but still a ways to go).

+1. Well said.  PBR wasn’t needed...nor does it even really work OOB...all it did for me is create frustration.  I don’t even bother with it any longer.   The least Chief should have done is record a series of videos showing how to use it...or better yet, how to get it to work.  

Condoc’s and stair improvements...please

Such matters are often topics of discussions here. Frankly, I could care less. I did not at first "like" PBR but I came to understand it better and now use it all the time, no matter its failings relative to Ray Tracing, it still gives quality views and a very short time.

Chief is responsible for paying its bills, not us. They have survived this long and their business has just grown and grown since I started using it back in the mid-nineties. They have people like Dermot Dempsey, Scott Harris, and numerous others who care about Chief Architect and its users.

They pay their bills and they know who their "public" is, I'll bet they just keep on making the right decisions long after I am gone. Enjoy what you have today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

DJP

yes david.

CA must pay its bills, but it should keep up with future demands, as this world and its progression is changing rapidly.

younger users are coming in with fresh directions, and looking all around them, they see a possibility of what the future can bring.

hense, CA should be looking at what the future could bring.

we all like CA.

the presentation of things.

the direction to produce plans or drawings.

the forum, which allows communication with other users.

but it lacks a future direction. which does not make any sense as that is the only way we move each day. (forward in time) 

5 hours ago, antoine said:

but it lacks a future direction. which does not make any sense as that is the only way we move each day. (forward in time) 

Chief Architect's critics are not the last "word" relative to the survival of the company. Chief Inc has been doing well in the business world since the early Nineties, doing what they do and keeping their own council and will probably continue to grow, no matter what others say it should do.

Carping and nay-saying do not change the fact that you are dissatisfied and that I leave the future to those whose job it is to decide what they do. Just because you have an opinion, does not mean it is somehow "Truth" and law to me, it is not and that is all I am saying.

Dissatisfied people have always been there, no matter the historic period and the World still turns.

DJP

David:

I don't see anyone "carping" about Chief

I see suggestions for what these particular users need

If CA doesn't hear from them then how can they plan for the future

CA has the right to ignore those requests - but they should at least listen to them

Lew

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, VisualDandD said:

I use the PBR every day now instead of standard renderings, much better imo.

My old post got bumped.   Still not using PBR, and.....yes still fighting every staircase that wraps a wall in a plan.     I have been using chief since v6 (not x6).     I have the ability to draw most anything manually in the software.

EG with roofs, I run a few 'auto' roof leaving many areas defined with no roof above.   I get to where I see the 'big picture' and then just draw manually.

I am not asking for a lot.....just the ability to manually draw with stairs as I can with a roof.  Manually break a tread around a wall...etc.   Create returns and winders as needed.   For a while I used landings to make these transitions, but they dont show right in 3d.   

Anyway....good deal for all those that like PBR.   To me, the lack of normals in a lot of materials and the inability to easily manipulate materials, makes it not worth messing with for me.   I am not saying PBR might not be good some day.   But my honest opinion is that it was rushed into the new update and not even close to being ready.

I dont think it is fair to compare Lumion to Chief as it is a dedicated rendering program (and I would expect it to be better). The guy at chief ought to navigate around Lumion a little though and see how beneficial well integrated material tools can be .   Specifically using imported textures and the ability to on the fly create bump maps and adjust material properties almost instantly.   It is a lofty goal, but the UI of Lumion for material adjustment is lightyears ahead.  (As it should be...but I think Chief could improve)

But frankly, I dont ever see using Chief as a primary rendering tool.   If rendering is important enough to my business, I will use a software that is tailored just for that.  Why try to be everything and still lag behind at some basic drawing functions?   If I design, I want to use the best design software I can, because it is how I make my money.   (I still beileve Chief is that for me).  I am not losing jobs because I lack the ability to make pretty pictures.  I can make as pretty a pictures as any guy out there rendering.   It is just not an efficient use of my time since I am more productive designing and producing working drawings, than I would rendering.   

Does not mean I cant render though.....Below is a Lumion Render that took about 5 Minutes to make from a direct Chief import.  I only added a few lights and defined the materials (all stock Chief).   Nice thing is after the 5 minute set up, it takes about 5 more min to define a path and record a nice video.   Vid was renered on high, so it took about 15 min to process.   Again, I expect Lumion to be better since it is a decicated tool.   I repeat, I do not expect Chief to compete with what it can do.

4 kit copy.jpg

2018-04-30 20.46.36.jpg

On 3/28/2018 at 3:33 PM, WesternDesign said:

I agree with you both, but if Chief could push harder in helping us produce better construction documents and productivity improvements over the "interiors" it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Chief is improving, but at the end of the day we first need to produce working drawings then second we can increase the wow factor during the design phase.

I know Chief has a lot on it's plate right now but, I would really like to see more in the way of dimension and text format capabilities and settings.  There are a lot of little things, some I have suggested and some I have not suggested, that for me personally would go a long way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 4:35 PM, VisualDandD said:

Below is a Lumion Render that took about 5 Minutes to make from a direct Chief import. 

2018-04-30 20.46.36.jpg

Nice job. I never waste time with the Ray Tracer. I must admit the PBR was a smart addition to the program. It has given me access to quicker interior renders that are good enough for my class of clients. I personally think it stinks for any exterior views. For me they always come out really flat looking, so I'll stick with the cartoony looking standard renders for exteriors. I would seriously consider adding Lumion as another tool in my bag, if I needed that level.

Again, that kitchen interior shot was nice.