Edit Area All Floors: Copy To New Plan, It Takes On Default Floor Heights?

zowie123

Hi all,

So,  I copy the the whole house to a new plan through the edit area all floors option. When I paste into the new plan, it takes on the default heights of the new plan for floor foundation roof etc.

I would have to go through and pre-set all that info, but all the rooms are different hts.   Pasting into new plan defaults destroys the structure I have and it would take a long time to rectify.  

Is there a way to paste into the new plan and keep all the fl. Height as is?

It would be great if when you copied a structure that you had the choice of keeping all that info as is.  

Thank you,

Zowie

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Perry, But....All defaults except floor and ceiling hts transfer, they seem to have left floor and ceiling hts out of the defaults??  

I created a new plan, imported all defaults from the plan I want to move, then I used Edit All Floors to copy my structure, the notice popped up, the new ceiling and floor hts are different then the plan you are copying into, and indeed it defaulted to the new plan hts.  

It seems there should be an option to keep all floor and ceiling hts as is?

If you have any other work arounds you can think of please let me know, I'm out of ideas for this.    

I was in Alaska for 2 weeks, just getting back to pick-up this issue.  Thanks!

The reason I'm doing this is because I've created a new template plan with all the macros layer sets, elevation cameras with dimensions and what not to make life easier and I wanted to transfer this old project into my new template.  I could import my layer sets and macros and maybe crossection and elevation cameras. But this plan was started in x5 and I thought it would be more prudent to edit all floors and copy the plan into the new x6 template.  Akk! confusing myself now. 

It seems there should be an option to keep all floor and ceiling hts as is?

Yes, it would be nice if Chief did this

defaults only work if all the rooms are set to the same defaults

with a split house where some of the rooms vary in heights

using the defaults would cause issues

Lew

If you did the plan in X5, why don't you just open a copy of your plan in X6. These days the transfer is working very good, not like it use to many moons ago. I have brought up many plans from X5 to x6, without much problems at all. The problems come from much older versions, still can be done, but much fixing. if you had said what version you were using, this would have been my first answer.

Could you just save the old plan with all the Defaults you want as a template ?    open the template, Delete everything, and resave as a blank template plan with all the correct/wanted Defaults ?  and then use it as the Default Plan for New Plans?

M.

Could you just save the old plan with all the Defaults you want as a template ?    open the template, Delete everything, and resave as a blank template plan with all the correct/wanted Defaults ?  and then use it as the Default Plan for New Plans?

M.

Yes, should work since this is pretty much how CA describes, on page 81 of the X6 reference manual, how to create new template plan files. Once you have the new template file, copying/pasting an old file into a new file using the old file as a template should retain everything... Or as Perry suggested, just open a copy of the X5 file in X6 and let it upgrade.

So I tried everything you suggested and it's not actually doing what I need.  

My new Template plan has all the new layer sets, elevation and cross section cameras laid out with pre-arranged details and dimension lines.   I made a template from this plan.  Opening an old plan keeps all the old layer sets and doesn't open into the new template plan with all its Elevation and Cross cameras, It essentially just opens and x5 plan in x6 as is.  I can import my layer sets, but not the camera views with preset data.   

So as far as I can tell, it would be necessary to Edit Area all Floor Copy into a new Template of this type to maintain the integrity of my new template.  Having the option to maintain floor hts would also be necessary to maintain the integrity of the original structure.  

Thank you very much for considering this funky situation.  

Barry

I made a template from this plan. Opening an old plan keeps all the old layer sets and doesn't open into the new template plan with all its Elevation and Cross cameras, It essentially just opens and x5 plan in x6 as is. I can import my layer sets, but not the camera views with preset data.

Barry

Barry, this is from the X6 reference manual:

When Chief Architect opens a new, blank plan or layout file, the new file is actually a copy of a template using either metric or Imperial units of measurement and predefined default settings, layer settings, wall definitions, and page setup information.

In other words, the template files only apply to NEW, BLANK plans. Existing plans will retain their present settings no matter what template file you have selected in 'preferences'.

I guess I'm missing something - why not do what Perry suggested and just make a copy of your X5 plan (for safety) and then open it in X6, let X6 migrate the plan and make the minor adjustments, if any, that occur? I have a plan started in V9.5 that I have migrated through each version of CA up to X6. Yes, there were some minor corrections/tweaks required along the way but it was much easier than what it appears you are attempting to do.

The template you made from your old plan should have the Floor heights set as default for that template .....(at least I thought so..haven't tried it)

so if you paste into it , the Template defaults should rule the heights....

I am not sure how you made your new template from your description though....

M.

There's a bit lost in translation, let me see if I can clarify:

I don't want to create a template from my old plan because it doesn't have any of the my new template attributes that I want to use:  My new Template plan has all the new layer sets I created along with elevation and cross section cameras pre-laid out with corresponding  pre-arranged details, dimension lines and notes.  Opening an x5 plan into x6 only updates it to x6 as is, it doesn't take on the new layer sets--which I could import--but it also doesn't use any of the pre-laid out cross section and elevation camera views which I have populated with dimensions and notes.

If, Edit All Floors, kept the floor heights when copied from plan to plan, then I could pop it into the new Template plan and maintain the integrity of both the structure and the views I have pre-populated with info in my new Template.    

Anyway, this took longer to explain than just going through the structure and resetting all the floor heights:)   It's not something that needs to be done too often, but it would be nice to have the option to keep floor hts when copying using the Edit Area All Floors option.  

Thanks for all your input, 

Barry

Thanks Barry , now I see why it wasn't working like I thought.....

Changing all the floor heights should be fairly quick with the Select Same Tool> select floor elevation in the DBX then change the height in the open DBX.

M.

If you have a multitude of height in one building it's not that fast,  You have to have both plans open and go through each room's dbx..  It's actually quite time consuming and it leave a lot of room for error.  Thank you.