zero eave spanish gable...

Designer1

I will first apologize that I couldnt find an accurate picture to put on this post to describe what Im talking about, I searched but couldnt find what I was looking for.  Does anyone know if zero eave spanish gable roofs are able to be produced in Chief along with the outside edge tile overlapping the roof to the stucco wall?

Thanks in advance!

5ab8ce41199b2_SpanishGable.thumb.jpg.c02dd0bab3b181623b1da02eb05fcbbc.jpgLike this???

If so, Yes, this particular one would be done either by using a poly-line solid for the rake wall trimmed by a 3D Molding poly-line, or a reshaped wall poly-line and a 3D molding poly-line. If you mean something else, please post a sketch or photo as I have. I have done this kind of roof many times in several versions of Chief.

DJP

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.  Heres a link that I found with a spanish house with the gable at zero eaves with the tile on the edge.  Not a very good picture but one of the only ones I could find.  Do you have to use a polyline to accomplish this or do the selections in the roof dbx allow for this roof style?

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/articles/romancing-twenties-home

The only thing necessary for that kind of Architectural look is the addition of either a 3D molding poly-line to cover the fascia, or perhaps assigning a custom molding profile to the fascia, or using actual 3D symbols (roof tiles) to the fascia edges colored like the roof tiles. It is just a specialized addition to roof edges instead of flat, perpendicular fascia boards.

Attached is a small library of round roof tile symbols that can be edited to follow an angle and axis. The library was made by David Michaels I think originally.You would have to, using the "Edit Symbol" dialog to take one of these symbols rotating its axis and angle to fit your roof pitches at the eaves, then copy-paste each one at that defined angle, then block the group, add a material to them and then copy-paste and reflect them as necessary to fit both gable sides. Not a job I would relish but still doable.

DJP

Round Tile Roofing.calibz

To get a true 3D representation of this in Chief requires some special 3D tile symbols and use of Distributed Regions and Paths.  I have the required symbols and knowledge of how to use them.  If you need this done, I would be happy to do it for you - for a reasonable fee of course.

• Upvote 1

David, thanks for the advice and help.  I will check this out.  I know that in chiefs roof dbx you can do zero eave but wasnt sure about the overlapping tile. Since you brought up the other roof style in the picture you posted, is that a parapet wall for the roof?  You mentioned you have done these types of decorative roof styles many times in chief.  I havent done this type of roof before but am interested in how you designed that.  Id love to hear more about it.

Joe, thanks so much for the offer of help.  Nice to know you have the proper symbols to do the job right.  I will give this a try and if I need anymore help I will contact you.  Thanks again for offering help, I appreciate it.

Find out for yourself, if you need and want a certain look you do what is required to obtain it. I do not think merely placing roof tile symbols at the edges will slow down Chief that much (doing the entire roof probably wood but I am not suggesting you do that).

DJP

15 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Richard, do you mean because of the high polyline count on the tiles?  Sounds like you have experience with this... what is your recommendation then for best results on both the 3d visuals and speed?

Yes, the high 3D face count is what I mean. You could try David's suggestion of  3D objects only on the roof edges, but Chief does not have symbols for this. (Joe's symbols on a polyline distribution path looks pretty good.) I am a believer in using the right tool for the job, and I'm not sure that Chief is the right tool at the moment for tile roofs. I am using a different BIM program when faced with this situation.

20 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I don't understand why this isn't part of the roof tools, we have talked about this for many years and it pretty standard for roofs.

I think some one needs to make a formal "Feature Request" and then maybe in will then be added to the list of requested new features. Talk here is just talk, talk directly to the creators if you want real change.

DJP

6 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I think some one needs to make a formal "Feature Request" and then maybe in will then be added to the list of requested new features. Talk here is just talk, talk directly to the creators if you want real change.

DJP

Believe me David, it was added years ago.